Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

JohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really nice
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Glad to be able to help, Dave.
Commonwealth Bank of Australia seems a good option. In fact we opened a "current" account in about 30 minutes and also a fixed term savings account at 6% for 12 months. Heck of a lot better than here in the UK! Tax on the interest for foreign nationals is 10%; I suspect you need to declare it on your UK tax return and pay a further 10%. Still a good deal!
You can get the same rate over 7 months and 5.9@ over 3!
Hope this helps.
John
PS I've used the internet facility fairly full already and it's very comprehensive and easy.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Can someone please clarify for me? I have got myself confused over medicals. I have always understood that our 26 year old son who will remain in the UK, does not need to have a medical for our parent visa.

I have been rereading Booklet 3 and this states: Every member of your immediate family needs to have a medical. It does go on to say that non-migrating dependants need to have a medical. It doesn't say that non-migrating, non-dependant children do not need to have one.

Is it just me that finds this ambiguous?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by durhamlad
Hi. I am on holiday in Oz at the moment and would like to open a Oz bank account as I am close to being allocated a CO. Can anyone advise on which is the best account to open and with which bank so that I can start transferring money over from the UK.

Dave
Hi Dave
shop arround all the banks to find one that suites you but would advise to ensure they offer current a/c,investment a/c(savings) and internet banking on both. I am with NAB but...............
pete
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pemajoka
Hi Dave
shop arround all the banks to find one that suites you but would advise to ensure they offer current a/c,investment a/c(savings) and internet banking on both. I am with NAB but...............
pete
I have PMd you rather than run the risk of being shot down in flames by one of the moderators.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:18 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JohnDeeHart
Glad to be able to help, Dave.
Commonwealth Bank of Australia seems a good option. In fact we opened a "current" account in about 30 minutes and also a fixed term savings account at 6% for 12 months. Heck of a lot better than here in the UK! Tax on the interest for foreign nationals is 10%; I suspect you need to declare it on your UK tax return and pay a further 10%. Still a good deal!
You can get the same rate over 7 months and 5.9@ over 3!
Hope this helps.
John
PS I've used the internet facility fairly full already and it's very comprehensive and easy.
I too have a CBA account and have found them to be excellent. Far more user friendly than HSBC with whom I seem to have to fight every time I try and phone them....!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:21 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Can someone please clarify for me? I have got myself confused over medicals. I have always understood that our 26 year old son who will remain in the UK, does not need to have a medical for our parent visa.

I have been rereading Booklet 3 and this states: Every member of your immediate family needs to have a medical. It does go on to say that non-migrating dependants need to have a medical. It doesn't say that non-migrating, non-dependant children do not need to have one.

Is it just me that finds this ambiguous?
My daughter who is 37 and who is remaining in the UK did not have to have a medical -and I've got my visa now so I think the answer to your query is no, he won't have to have one
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durhamlad
Hi. I am on holiday in Oz at the moment and would like to open a Oz bank account as I am close to being allocated a CO. Can anyone advise on which is the best account to open and with which bank so that I can start transferring money over from the UK.

Dave
G'Day Dave

To add to what others have said, I don't think there should be much problem, but it may be handy to get an introduction from your offspring or a friend. Otherwise, have a look around at what savings rates are available – you should get almost 6% on a no-notice account, and a bit more on term deposit (depending on the term – sometimes more for, say 6 or 12 months than for 5, 7, 11 or 13!).

We opened accounts with St George – at that time an independent ex-Building Society, now part of Westpac. We have online savings accounts (one instant, one term) as well as a "transaction" (cheque, etc) account. We make a point of saying hello in person during each visit, so that we remain "faces", not just names, and can generally deal with slightly out-of-the-ordinary things by email.

One thing to be aware of: Oz banks generally charge if you use a different bank's ATM machine to withdraw money. (They will I think generally let you have a debit card, but not a credit card while non-resident.)

Best, Mike

Last edited by MikenSueNW3; Jan 27th 2011 at 1:10 am.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnDeeHart
Tax on the interest for foreign nationals is 10%; I suspect you need to declare it on your UK tax return and pay a further 10%. Still a good deal!
G'Day

Yes – when you open the account, make sure they register that you are foreign-resident, then you get charged only 10% withholding tax. However, you have to declare the income to HMRC in the UK, but also claim allowance for the Oz tax paid. The end result is that you effectively pay UK tax rates overall, while you are UK-resident.

Best, Mike
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:32 am
Sassy Stockport Lass

Sue Stockport is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent Contrib Visa

Hello all,

I'm just looking for a bit of information regarding parent contrib visas.

My parents put in their application for same in October 2010. Had acknowledgment about 4 weeks later - basically saying not to contact Dept of Immigration as they're busy but it will be processed at a later date.

Just wondering how long these types of visas are currently taking and how likely visa is to be granted.

My parents are early 50's and in generally good health. They satisfy the balance of family test and I've been here for over 3 years so think that would class as being 'settled' - amongst other things like I have steady job, own house etc.

Just confusing on working out when to time things like when they should go for their medicals, police checks and the biggest question of all when to sell the house as they need that equity to pay the huge fee to Dept of Immigration.

Any help/advice would be very gratefully received
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fiz
My daughter who is 37 and who is remaining in the UK did not have to have a medical -and I've got my visa now so I think the answer to your query is no, he won't have to have one
Yes, thanks for that. That's what I thought. I think my brain has gone into overload now that getting the visa actually looks like a reality and isn't just a distan dream!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

pom1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parent Contrib Visa

Depends were they submitted the application, offshore CPV143 takes roughly 15-18mths. If it was an onshore application, these seem to be a lot faster with a case officer assigned within a month, then approx-3-6month for a grant. Medicals and the like are only valid for 12months from time you had the examination, so you would have to work around the processing times for the visa you have applied for.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:07 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue Stockport
Hello all,

My parents put in their application for same in October 2010. Had acknowledgment about 4 weeks later - basically saying not to contact Dept of Immigration as they're busy but it will be processed at a later date.

Just wondering how long these types of visas are currently taking and how likely visa is to be granted.

My parents are early 50's and in generally good health. They satisfy the balance of family test and I've been here for over 3 years so think that would class as being 'settled' - amongst other things like I have steady job, own house etc.

Just confusing on working out when to time things like when they should go for their medicals, police checks and the biggest question of all when to sell the house as they need that equity to pay the huge fee to Dept of Immigration.

Hi Sue,

I have merged your new thread into the existing one as it may well get more views.

Alistair.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:20 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue Stockport
Hello all,

It sounds like they are still in the UK so its an offshore CPV..roughly speaking 15 months from acknowledgement until they get a Case Officer and then a one or two months after that until they are asked to pay. There is a tracker that will help you see how long people have been taking...
www.gainwave.co.uk It is run by a guy with the username of Sandch. If you send him a message he can add your details
Hope this helps
Fiz
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:41 pm
Sassy Stockport Lass

Sue Stockport is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fiz
It sounds like they are still in the UK so its an offshore CPV..roughly speaking 15 months from acknowledgement until they get a Case Officer and then a one or two months after that until they are asked to pay. There is a tracker that will help you see how long people have been taking...
www.gainwave.co.uk It is run by a guy with the username of Sandch. If you send him a message he can add your details
Hope this helps
Fiz
Thanks POM1 and FIZ for your replies. Very much appreciated
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

happyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to allhappyscot is a name known to all

Hi all,

this thread has been a wealth of information. Really helpful,I was wondering if anyone could advise me how long it is after they ask for the money until you are expected to pay, I imagine there might be some sort of grace period or is it just when we ask we want it NOW!!! And is the AOS generally paid first.

Any advice Greatly appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.