Contributory Parent Visa

Old May 7th 2008, 11:47 am
Just Joined

bloatedstoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contributory Parent Visa

Hi.
I am looking at a contributory parent visa to migrate to Australia to be reunited with my 9 year old daughter. My Australian born wife and I separated in 2003 and she returned to Australia with our UK born daughter. I have spent the last 5 years traversing the world (2 to 3 times a year on tourist visas) to remain in my daughter's life - we are very close.

At 45 years old I need to either move to Australia or remain in the UK to ensure my own life has solid foundations because it's an expensive business all this travelling, and on my last trip immigration at Tullamarine voiced their concern about how much time I spend in Australia - hardly surprising when you're a devoted parent!

I've decided to take the plunge and apply for the CPV despite the outrageous cost.

Does anyone know if I can sponsor myself as the father of an only child who is resident in Australia? My daughter is now a naturalised Australian through her mother's nationality. I am a UK citizen.

On a personal note, I find it unbelievable that there is no compassionate mechanism in place to allow a parent of another nationality to continue as the loving parent of a child after marital separation without having to pay out over 40 thousand dollars to do so. It's disgraceful.

If anyone knows of an alternative please let me know! I've looked at all the other visas and cannot see an alternative.

DIMIA advised me that the relationship I have is with my estranged wife and not my only child and that the CPV is my only choice.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa

Originally Posted by bloatedstoat
Hi.
I am looking at a contributory parent visa to migrate to Australia to be reunited with my 9 year old daughter. My Australian born wife and I separated in 2003 and she returned to Australia with our UK born daughter. I have spent the last 5 years traversing the world (2 to 3 times a year on tourist visas) to remain in my daughter's life - we are very close.

At 45 years old I need to either move to Australia or remain in the UK to ensure my own life has solid foundations because it's an expensive business all this travelling, and on my last trip immigration at Tullamarine voiced their concern about how much time I spend in Australia - hardly surprising when you're a devoted parent!

I've decided to take the plunge and apply for the CPV despite the outrageous cost.

Does anyone know if I can sponsor myself as the father of an only child who is resident in Australia? My daughter is now a naturalised Australian through her mother's nationality. I am a UK citizen.

On a personal note, I find it unbelievable that there is no compassionate mechanism in place to allow a parent of another nationality to continue as the loving parent of a child after marital separation without having to pay out over 40 thousand dollars to do so. It's disgraceful.

If anyone knows of an alternative please let me know! I've looked at all the other visas and cannot see an alternative.

DIMIA advised me that the relationship I have is with my estranged wife and not my only child and that the CPV is my only choice.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer.

You can not sponsor yourself and as your child is under 18 you would need to be sponsored by the child's guardian.

You would also need someone to provide an AOS.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...ory_parent.htm

G
Old May 7th 2008, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

I have Australian Federal Court orders issued last year that state that both parents have custody of our daughter, equal parenting basically, no one parent has sole custody, therefore I see myself as a legal guardian just as much as the mother. Although, and this is probably more to the point, I am not an Australian citizen and therefore do not qualify!

I am aware of the AoS and this is not an issue, I've got that one sorted, I am merely trying to establish the requirements for sponsorship.

Thank you for your comments, appreciate it.

Last edited by bloatedstoat; May 7th 2008 at 12:21 pm.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have Australian Federal Court orders issued last year that state that both parents have custody of our daughter, equal parenting basically, no one parent has sole custody, therefore I see myself as a legal guardian just as much as the mother. Although, and this is probably more to the point, I am not an Australian citizen and therefore do not qualify!

I am aware of the AoS and this is not an issue, I've got that one sorted, I am merely trying to establish the requirements for sponsorship.

Thank you for your comments, appreciate it.
Unless you want to try for ministerial intervention (not an easy process), or unless you qualify for another visa, Contributory Parent is the only way.

Presumably you never had permanent residence before.

Strongly recommend you get professional assistance. George Lombard in Sydney is a good option (search for contact details).

Incidentally, did you give permission for your daughter to be taken to Australia?
Old May 8th 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ,

No, I did not give my permission and I began proceedings under the Hague Convention. My lawyers (I had two - one in London and one in Melbourne) advised me that the process was likely to cost in the region of $100,000 AUD with no guarantee of a successful outcome (to have our daughter returned to England).

In my opinion the whole scenario was, and still is, morally unsound. I should not have had to pay such a vile sum of money at all having not done anything wrong, it was quite clear she was there without parental consent and that should be enough to warrant her return.

The migration path therefore is a more practical, sensible and affordable solution to give my kid access to both parents.

Anyway, this is not the forum to air those grievances, I could go on for some time about it! lol.

What's the deal with "ministerial intervention"? Whatever route I take they're all likely to be far from cheap and easy so I may as well know about the options.

Thank you for your help JAJ, much appreciated. Look forward to your reply.
Old May 8th 2008, 8:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What's the deal with "ministerial intervention"? Whatever route I take they're all likely to be far from cheap and easy so I may as well know about the options.

Talk to George Lombard. Good luck.
Old May 8th 2008, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you JAJ, I have emailed George Lombard. Much obliged for your assistance.