IT Contract & Working Holiday Visa

Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Pity_The_Fool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Contract & Working Holiday Visa

Hi folks, im new to the forums, so hello to you all.

Im 29 years old and from Scotland and i am interested in taking advantage of the working holiday visa which as i understand it i can apply for fairly easily and obtain permission to work in Australia for a year up until my 31st birthday which is just under 2 years away.

Currently i am an IT Contractor in Edinburgh. I work as an IT Test Manager but can easily operate at Systems / Test Analyst level, in fact this may even be my preference.

I just wanted to know if there are any restrictions on me obtaining contract work in Australia within the IT industry on a working holiday visa. I know there are some limitations i.e. 6 month rule etc and that technically i should use the visa to travel so some relocation may be necessary after the initial 6 month spell.

Are there any good agencies to contact in advance of heading over there?
Do i really need to take the leap and travel over before sourcing any opportunities?
Has anyone done IT contracting on a working holiday visa and has any advice for me?

As for regions im looking to head for....i guess Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or even Perth would all be attractive to me.

Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

All the best.
Paul
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:46 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

SD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really nice
Default Re: IT Contract & Working Holiday Visa

Hello Paul,
There is no problem at all with you working as an IT contractor in Australia on a WHV. You are correct that there are 6 month work restrictions for one employer and 12 months in total (unless you work in a regional area in seasonal work). there is nothing stopping you investigating opportunities from the UK before you get here. A good IT site is: www.jobserve.com.au

I hope this helps.

Regards