Considering my options

Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:58 am
Just Joined

michaelatkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering my options

Hello, I am currently considering a relocation to oz, but I am unsure whether I can realistically apply for a skilled visa. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what sort of chance i have of applying and also whether I have much chance or gaining employment out there quickly.

I finished university in 2006 studying computer science bsc (perhaps an overely general degree to take in hindsight), I've had 2 jobs in IT since then, one for a few months doing general admin but mainly focusing on webprogramming using php.

I am currently working in a mid sized company in a more technical role, maintaining the hardware (servers/workstations/laptops/routers) maintaining the website, and teaching the users how to use the system, I also use active directory with windows 2003 server, and to a lesser extent, in-house UNIX programs. I am coming up on a year at this company now.

Owing to my young age and relatively short amount of time in actual post-education employment, do i realistically have a chance at getting a skilled visa?

(I have done 2 tests online although they seem to be rather generic, one said I would not be able to successfully apply for one, whilst the other said I did gain enough points to apply for one.)
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:29 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering my options

Originally Posted by michaelatkinson
Hello, I am currently considering a relocation to oz, but I am unsure whether I can realistically apply for a skilled visa. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what sort of chance i have of applying and also whether I have much chance or gaining employment out there quickly.

I finished university in 2006 studying computer science bsc (perhaps an overely general degree to take in hindsight), I've had 2 jobs in IT since then, one for a few months doing general admin but mainly focusing on webprogramming using php.

I am currently working in a mid sized company in a more technical role, maintaining the hardware (servers/workstations/laptops/routers) maintaining the website, and teaching the users how to use the system, I also use active directory with windows 2003 server, and to a lesser extent, in-house UNIX programs. I am coming up on a year at this company now.

Owing to my young age and relatively short amount of time in actual post-education employment, do i realistically have a chance at getting a skilled visa?

(I have done 2 tests online although they seem to be rather generic, one said I would not be able to successfully apply for one, whilst the other said I did gain enough points to apply for one.)
Hi Michael,

Hard to see how you'd get the points for a subclass 175 visa (the independent one) or state sponsorship for a 475 (as IT isn't sought in the regional areas) but if you've got a relative here who would sponsor you then it might all be good. As a minimum though you'd need at least one year in total of IT work experience - and you might want to use a working holiday visa instead to explore employer sponsorship options here.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: South Yorkshire next stop Perth (but open to suggestions)
SarahA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Michael,

Hard to see how you'd get the points for a subclass 175 visa (the independent one) or state sponsorship for a 475 (as IT isn't sought in the regional areas) but if you've got a relative here who would sponsor you then it might all be good. As a minimum though you'd need at least one year in total of IT work experience - and you might want to use a working holiday visa instead to explore employer sponsorship options here.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks George for the reply. Thats my OH. The problem is we don't have close relatives over there, only distant ones my family lost contact with quite a long time ago.
We really wouldn't want to go over on working holiday visa's as I've heard it's more of a problem to get a place to rent as employers are more use to backpackers? I can only think of an employer sponsoring us. Is there any other options or is that the best route to take? We're really serious about going and have thought about it a long time, but unfortunately I'm struggling with ideas on the best way to approach it.
I thought about hiring an agent over here, but the fees are high and if we have no real chance of going I wouldn't want to get my hopes up

Thank you for helping
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

Hi,

If you are both under 30 I really would think about the Working Holiday Visa, my OH and I (28 & 29) came over for a year in September 2005 for a year, and I was able to find IT work in my field even though we were at that time only allowed to work for each employer for 3 months (now you can work for up to 6 months for each employer). I was offered sponsorship by one of my employers even though didn't take it up at the time. We found places to rent easy enough (although we always shared as wanted to meet people) and met loads of people in both Melbourne and Sydney who had come over on a WHV and then obtained sponsorhip. It also gave us the opportunity to live in both Sydney and Melbourne as well as travelling round a fair bit, and following this were able to decide where we really wanted to live (now living in Melbourne on a 457 visa)
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

geordies4life will become famous soon enoughgeordies4life will become famous soon enough

Hi me and my partner went to see an agent it was a free consultation and they told us what our chances where how long it would take prices of visas ect.. it was very informative for us.
Good luck