Confusion re Visas

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:33 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Myotai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion re Visas

Hi,

Can someone offer some definitive advice please?

I'm 52, well qualified in a profession on the skills list etc...

I have family in Oz and meet all other criteria (apart from the age one).

I've now been offered a sponsored post in Melbourne. The employer doesn't seem bothered about my age.

But I am of the opinion I won't get any sort of visa that would ultimately facilitate myself, wife and kids moving out there because of my age.

So many conflicting opinions!

Thanks in advance!
Myotai is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:46 am
  #2  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Myotai View Post
Hi,

Can someone offer some definitive advice please?

I'm 52, well qualified in a profession on the skills list etc...

I have family in Oz and meet all other criteria (apart from the age one).

I've now been offered a sponsored post in Melbourne. The employer doesn't seem bothered about my age.

But I am of the opinion I won't get any sort of visa that would ultimately facilitate myself, wife and kids moving out there because of my age.

So many conflicting opinions!

Thanks in advance!
Bear in mind that the comments I made yesterday about having qualifications assessed will apply just as much in Australia......have you discussed this with your potential employer?

You also need to be aware that your eldest daughter may need to find her own visa (did you say she is 24?).

Your employer may be able to sponsor you for a temporary visa (457) but this will not automatically lead to a permanent residency so you may have to leave if it expires. You are also effectively tied to the employer.

Your age is definitely against you but it is not impossible
Grayling is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:48 am
  #3  
Getting married tomorrow
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,663
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Myotai View Post
Hi,

Can someone offer some definitive advice please?

I'm 52, well qualified in a profession on the skills list etc...

I have family in Oz and meet all other criteria (apart from the age one).

I've now been offered a sponsored post in Melbourne. The employer doesn't seem bothered about my age.

But I am of the opinion I won't get any sort of visa that would ultimately facilitate myself, wife and kids moving out there because of my age.

So many conflicting opinions!

Thanks in advance!
What visa is the employer offering? I am going to assume it's a 457 which is a temporary visa for up to 4 years.
I am also going to assume that your kids are over 18?
Dorothy is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:50 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,421
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Myotai View Post
Hi,

Can someone offer some definitive advice please?

I'm 52, well qualified in a profession on the skills list etc...

I have family in Oz and meet all other criteria (apart from the age one).

I've now been offered a sponsored post in Melbourne. The employer doesn't seem bothered about my age.

But I am of the opinion I won't get any sort of visa that would ultimately facilitate myself, wife and kids moving out there because of my age.

So many conflicting opinions!

Thanks in advance!
Not sure about this but worth checking. I know someone who is in their 50's and has been on 457. When it expired they looked into permanent residency and were told they couldn't apply because of their age.
Beoz is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:51 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Myotai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
What visa is the employer offering? I am going to assume it's a 457 which is a temporary visa for up to 4 years.
I am also going to assume that your kids are over 18?
Yes and yes. 😉
Myotai is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:53 am
  #6  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Myotai View Post
Yes and yes. 😉
Is your eldest child working?
Grayling is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:53 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Myotai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Not sure about this but worth checking. I know someone who is in their 50's and has been on 457. When it expired they looked into permanent residency and were told they couldn't apply because of their age.
Thanks...

It's only going to work if my family can flow me out within a reasonable period too.

Wife is 42. Daughter 23.

If there was any possibility of us having to return after the 4 years then it's not worth the hassle to be frank. Not with a family to consider.
Myotai is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:57 am
  #8  
Getting married tomorrow
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,663
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Myotai View Post
Thanks...

It's only going to work if my family can flow me out within a reasonable period too.

Wife is 42. Daughter 23.

If there was any possibility of us having to return after the 4 years then it's not worth the hassle to be frank. Not with a family to consider.
Your wife's age doesn't matter. She's your wife and therefore a dependent. Your 23 year old however is an adult and would either have to be completely dependent (i.e. not working but in uni) or quality in her own right. 23 is not a child anymore.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:37 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,421
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Myotai View Post
Thanks...

It's only going to work if my family can flow me out within a reasonable period too.

Wife is 42. Daughter 23.

If there was any possibility of us having to return after the 4 years then it's not worth the hassle to be frank. Not with a family to consider.
Why? A 457 is meant for businesses to use talent from abroad because the skills can't be found locally. This means should mean big bucks if they are keeping within the spirit of the visa.
Beoz is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:41 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Myotai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Because our aim was to move and apply for PR at some point. We'd have to sell up here and then I'd have to make a huge wedge to justify moving back. So most of the money I'd earn would not be spent in Oz as I'd have to save it to use when asked to leave! 😂😂
Myotai is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:47 am
  #11  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,386
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Not sure about this but worth checking. I know someone who is in their 50's and has been on 457. When it expired they looked into permanent residency and were told they couldn't apply because of their age.
It isn't completely impossible to get PR after a 457 i one's 50's but its only open to a few people - very skilled and earning a very high wage, from memory. Extremely unusual and reading this poster's history it wouldn't be possible here.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:50 am
  #12  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,386
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Myotai View Post
Because our aim was to move and apply for PR at some point. We'd have to sell up here and then I'd have to make a huge wedge to justify moving back. So most of the money I'd earn would not be spent in Oz as I'd have to save it to use when asked to leave! 😂😂
The employer may not be bothered about your age, but DIBP (Aus Immigration) would be. With your background as you've posted on here you couldn't get PR on a skills visa, your age is against you, so best would be a 457.
To be honest, New Zealand is a more likely prospect, they do have openings on PR skills visas into one's 50s, so I would pursue that route instead if I were you.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:04 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
rammygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,016
rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Unless your wife can qualify for a visa or you can qualify for a business visa then PR is unlikely.
rammygirl is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:01 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 699
xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by rammygirl View Post
Unless your wife can qualify for a visa or you can qualify for a business visa then PR is unlikely.
That's a fall back plan of last resort that might be worth a thought. However, a 188 will cost a LOT of money - $1,500,000 to be invested, at the very minimum. Probably not what the OP had in mind, from reading his earlier posts
xizzles is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:20 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Myotai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by xizzles View Post
That's a fall back plan of last resort that might be worth a thought. However, a 188 will cost a LOT of money - $1,500,000 to be invested, at the very minimum. Probably not what the OP had in mind, from reading his earlier posts
Big LOL!!
Myotai is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.