British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Confusion re Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/confusion-re-visas-892045/)

Myotai Feb 22nd 2017 6:33 am

Confusion re Visas

Hi,

Can someone offer some definitive advice please?

I'm 52, well qualified in a profession on the skills list etc...

I have family in Oz and meet all other criteria (apart from the age one).

I've now been offered a sponsored post in Melbourne. The employer doesn't seem bothered about my age.

But I am of the opinion I won't get any sort of visa that would ultimately facilitate myself, wife and kids moving out there because of my age.

So many conflicting opinions!

Thanks in advance!

Grayling Feb 22nd 2017 6:46 am

Re: Confusion re Visas

Originally Posted by Myotai (Post 12186397)
Hi,

I've now been offered a sponsored post in Melbourne. The employer doesn't seem bothered about my age.

But I am of the opinion I won't get any sort of visa that would ultimately facilitate myself, wife and kids moving out there because of my age.

Thanks in advance!

Bear in mind that the comments I made yesterday about having qualifications assessed will apply just as much in Australia......have you discussed this with your potential employer?

You also need to be aware that your eldest daughter may need to find her own visa (did you say she is 24?).

Your employer may be able to sponsor you for a temporary visa (457) but this will not automatically lead to a permanent residency so you may have to leave if it expires. You are also effectively tied to the employer.

Your age is definitely against you but it is not impossible

Dorothy Feb 22nd 2017 6:48 am

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

What visa is the employer offering? I am going to assume it's a 457 which is a temporary visa for up to 4 years.
I am also going to assume that your kids are over 18?

Beoz Feb 22nd 2017 6:50 am

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about this but worth checking. I know someone who is in their 50's and has been on 457. When it expired they looked into permanent residency and were told they couldn't apply because of their age.

Myotai Feb 22nd 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12186417)
What visa is the employer offering? I am going to assume it's a 457 which is a temporary visa for up to 4 years.
I am also going to assume that your kids are over 18?

Yes and yes. 😉

Grayling Feb 22nd 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Myotai (Post 12186420)
Yes and yes. 😉

Is your eldest child working?

Myotai Feb 22nd 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12186419)
Not sure about this but worth checking. I know someone who is in their 50's and has been on 457. When it expired they looked into permanent residency and were told they couldn't apply because of their age.

Thanks...

It's only going to work if my family can flow me out within a reasonable period too.

Wife is 42. Daughter 23.

If there was any possibility of us having to return after the 4 years then it's not worth the hassle to be frank. Not with a family to consider.

Dorothy Feb 22nd 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Myotai (Post 12186428)
Thanks...

It's only going to work if my family can flow me out within a reasonable period too.

Wife is 42. Daughter 23.

If there was any possibility of us having to return after the 4 years then it's not worth the hassle to be frank. Not with a family to consider.

Your wife's age doesn't matter. She's your wife and therefore a dependent. Your 23 year old however is an adult and would either have to be completely dependent (i.e. not working but in uni) or quality in her own right. 23 is not a child anymore.

Beoz Feb 22nd 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Myotai (Post 12186428)
Thanks...

Wife is 42. Daughter 23.

Why? A 457 is meant for businesses to use talent from abroad because the skills can't be found locally. This means should mean big bucks if they are keeping within the spirit of the visa.

Myotai Feb 22nd 2017 7:41 am

Because our aim was to move and apply for PR at some point. We'd have to sell up here and then I'd have to make a huge wedge to justify moving back. So most of the money I'd earn would not be spent in Oz as I'd have to save it to use when asked to leave! 😂😂

Pollyana Feb 22nd 2017 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12186419)

It isn't completely impossible to get PR after a 457 i one's 50's but its only open to a few people - very skilled and earning a very high wage, from memory. Extremely unusual and reading this poster's history it wouldn't be possible here.

Pollyana Feb 22nd 2017 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Myotai (Post 12186463)
Because our aim was to move and apply for PR at some point. We'd have to sell up here and then I'd have to make a huge wedge to justify moving back. So most of the money I'd earn would not be spent in Oz as I'd have to save it to use when asked to leave! 😂😂

The employer may not be bothered about your age, but DIBP (Aus Immigration) would be. With your background as you've posted on here you couldn't get PR on a skills visa, your age is against you, so best would be a 457.
To be honest, New Zealand is a more likely prospect, they do have openings on PR skills visas into one's 50s, so I would pursue that route instead if I were you.

rammygirl Feb 22nd 2017 10:04 am

Unless your wife can qualify for a visa or you can qualify for a business visa then PR is unlikely.

xizzles Feb 22nd 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by rammygirl (Post 12186570)
Unless your wife can qualify for a visa or you can qualify for a business visa then PR is unlikely.

That's a fall back plan of last resort that might be worth a thought. However, a 188 will cost a LOT of money - $1,500,000 to be invested, at the very minimum. Probably not what the OP had in mind, from reading his earlier posts

Myotai Feb 22nd 2017 11:20 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 12186625)
That's a fall back plan of last resort that might be worth a thought. However, a 188 will cost a LOT of money - $1,500,000 to be invested, at the very minimum. Probably not what the OP had in mind, from reading his earlier posts

Big LOL!!