Conceive during application - problems?

Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Okavango is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Conceive during application - problems?

Hi. My wife and I are just about to submit a 175 visa application. We're also 'open minded' about having children, now letting nature take it's course. Should my wife fall pregnant during the lengthy application process, I'm aware this might delay medicals etc, but would it have any other major effect (ie would we need to start the process all over again or would there be major delays/headaches)?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:17 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conceive during application - problems?

No problems at all. If she gets pregnant you simply fill in a change of circumstances form to let DIAC know. If the baby is born before your visa is granted you simply add him/her to the application, submit birth certificate and passport and take him/her along for medicals. If baby is born after grant either before or after validating but you're still outside Australia you would need to apply for a child visa for him/her. Again, birth certificate, passport and medical needed. If baby born in Australia to permanent resident parents then he/she is an Australian citizen by birth and you don't need to do anything.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Do you think it would make sense for my wife to have her medical soon as she wouldn't be able to have the x-ray once pregnant? I know that the validation clock starts ticking based on the earliest of either Police Check or Medical - though I'd guess this is based on the timing of the primary applicant (which is myself), I'd be grateful if someone could confirm? This way (if it's possible), I think would give us a bit more flexibility as the visas would be granted earlier and we'd then be able to apply for a child visa as/when required. If this isn't the case, do all visa's on an application need to be granted at the same time or would I be able to bring mine forward such that I could get things set up in Australia for when junior+mum was ready to travel.

Last edited by Okavango; Sep 9th 2009 at 1:22 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okavango
Thanks. Do you think it would make sense for my wife to have her medical soon as she wouldn't be able to have the x-ray once pregnant? I know that the validation clock starts ticking based on the earliest of either Police Check or Medical - though I'd guess this is based on the timing of the primary applicant (which is myself), I'd be grateful if someone could confirm? This way (if it's possible), I think would give us a bit more flexibility as the visas would be granted earlier and we'd then be able to apply for a child visa as/when required. If this isn't the case, do all visa's on an application need to be granted at the same time or would I be able to bring mine forward such that I could get things set up in Australia for when junior+mum was ready to travel.
The validity of her medical is 12 months. So, if she has her medical now it is very likey that her medical will expire and she will need to repeat it. It doesn't matter whether you have yours done later, hers will still expire.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

She can have a chest xray when pregnant - she just needs to wear a shield. Best time is about 12-13 weeks.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No problems at all. If she gets pregnant you simply fill in a change of circumstances form to let DIAC know.
Pregnancy in itself is not a notifiable change of circumstances although sometimes it makes sense to put application on-hold until baby arrives (and sometimes not).
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all. After discussion, the plan of action will be to submit for a 175 asap. If my wife isn't pregnant by March next year we'll arrange our medicals then, taking the risk that the visa would be granted by the end of 2010 and accepting that we might need to repeat the medicals if there is a major delay. We'd then arrange a validation trip and return to the UK until we were fully prepared for the move. If she gets pregnant before March then we'll just put the application on hold until after the birth and hopefully again have the visas granted late 2010, early 2011. As Dorothy said - I guess no problems at all. I think we just like to feel in control and we're slightly worried that visa arrangements may change the further we delay the application.

As a final point. If we were to decide that in the event of pregnancy, I alone should go out early to establish a job while my wife is on maternity leave here in the UK, is it impossible to have a visa granted though not your husband/wife? ie would we be able to separate this application then submit a separate, new application for my wife say 6-12 months later once I'd established a job and place to live etc.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that any health issues with the baby (once born) could prevent you from getting a visa.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Yes, thanks, we've considered that but guess it's something that just needs to be accepted. Does anyone have any advice on that last point regarding separating the visa application as the other risk is establishing life/job/house in Aus before her arrival so i think this might be necessary
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:31 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Okavango
Yes, thanks, we've considered that but guess it's something that just needs to be accepted. Does anyone have any advice on that last point regarding separating the visa application as the other risk is establishing life/job/house in Aus before her arrival so i think this might be necessary
You could, but it's going to be difficult to explain to DIAC why she was initially on your application, then you took her off and want to apply for a new visa for her. Why would you waste the time and money when she can stay on your original application, be granted a visa, validate it and go back to UK to do her maternity leave there?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Because, say for example my wife becomes pregnant soon before a Case Officer is appointed and just before medicals are required, we'd then have to delay by up to a year+. However, if I was able to go out and at least make a start in making sure we had a foundation for life out there, job, place to live etc, then that would limit the risk and mean that we wouldn't have to contend with the practicalities of a new baby and emmigration all at once. This would mean however separating the visa.