Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship test - how early can you do it?

Citizenship test - how early can you do it?

Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:30 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship test - how early can you do it?

Sorry if this has already been answered..... but I'm wondering if you can sit your citizenship test long before you are elgible to apply. For example, could you do your test 6 months before you are eligible?

I'm hoping to get it out of the way while we have visitors over who can watch the kids.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship test - how early can you do it?

You can do the test anytime but there is often a waiting list.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:05 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can do the test anytime but there is often a waiting list.
Thanks JAJ, good to know. I have no problem with a waiting list, that's why I'm planning on doing it early.

Any ideas how long of a wait there is in Brisbane? I think the only place you can sit around Brisbane is in the cbd.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Thanks JAJ, good to know. I have no problem with a waiting list, that's why I'm planning on doing it early.

Any ideas how long of a wait there is in Brisbane? I think the only place you can sit around Brisbane is in the cbd.
Just give the citizenship line a call. They'll book your test for you. When I called I spoke to a woman originally from Red Deer!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:10 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Just give the citizenship line a call. They'll book your test for you. When I called I spoke to a woman originally from Red Deer!
Yah, that's what I'll do. I just keep forgetting to do it

I'll probably end up doing the test when my daughter starts prep and I put the youngest in daycare for a day or two a week. Then I'll have lots of time to go do the test. Maybe I can even meet my husband for lunch for a change!

It's odd how you bump into Canadians at random times. There are a few of us over here but I'm always surprised to see them!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:53 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Sorry if this has already been answered..... but I'm wondering if you can sit your citizenship test long before you are elgible to apply. For example, could you do your test 6 months before you are eligible?

I'm hoping to get it out of the way while we have visitors over who can watch the kids.
Have a read of my answer in the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574870
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:16 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by mark213
Have a read of my answer in the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574870
Thanks, I've already got the book and do intend to read it before I go to sit the test.

We're eligible under the 2 year rules as we got PR and arrived here in May2007. So we can apply in June, once I count our trips against our time.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I've already got the book and do intend to read it before I go to sit the test.
Given the waiting list, you may want to book an appointment now. You can do the test at any office, I think Brisbane CBD and Southport are the main options in the Brisbane metro area.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:45 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

My quick tip: Make sure you know the rights and responsibilities of an Aussie Citizen very well. There are 3 mandatory questions and if you get one wrong you fail even if everything else is 100% correct.

Good luck.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

My wife has just passed the test. We booked in late September and there was a 3 month waiting list in Sydney or a 2 month in Newcastle so we decided on Newcastle (we are from Sydney).

My wife is not eligible for Citizenship until mid May 2009 and there were no problems with her taking the test nearly 6 months prior to eligibility. She will now wait until May and then submit her application on-line.

All in all it was very painless. I've just posted a thread on our experience.

thanks

Alex
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

When I booked a test in July it was almost exactly 2 months.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:02 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Alex Hall
All in all it was very painless. I've just posted a thread on our experience.

Alex
Originally Posted by bcworld
When I booked a test in July it was almost exactly 2 months.
Thanks guys! Very helpful
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Any idea where one can take the test in WA?

We are also in the same situation, that is we want to book early well although we may not be able to apply for citizenship until July next year.

How long does it take to be granted the australian passport as we are planning to fly abroad in Australia sometime in August next year..
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:58 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi All,

Any idea where one can take the test in WA?

We are also in the same situation, that is we want to book early well although we may not be able to apply for citizenship until July next year.

How long does it take to be granted the australian passport as we are planning to fly abroad in Australia sometime in August next year..
See
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/test/find.htm

If you take the test more than 6 months before min residence period is up, you will need to get another certified photograph.

passports you should allow 3 weeks. you can still fly on your current passport even after you are granted citizenship unless you are not allowed dual nationality