Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Ceremony -- Unrealistic waiting time frame for ceremony

Citizenship Ceremony -- Unrealistic waiting time frame for ceremony

Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:02 am
Just Joined

jeba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Ceremony -- how long do I have to wait for ceremony

I got citizenship approval letter in the first week of December. I heard there is a 6 months wait for the ceremony which is a unrealistic time frame. So I sent an email to my local council and they replied back stating that I am not likely to be invited to the 26th Jan ceremony as I have just been approved earlier this month and I have might have to wait till May. So I called DIAC following their reply and DIAC said I have to wait and they cannot tell me over the phone and I will be sent a formal letter on my ceremony dates.

Now here is my question:
Did anyone from the forum got an approval in December and have been invited to the Jan 26th Ceremony.

--I am not in a rush, however I just feel that the time frame of approval and ceremony is not realistic.--

I know that JAJ is an expert in Citizenship and other immigration related matters. Would highly appreciate your input in regards to the above, JAJ.

Last edited by jeba; Dec 21st 2009 at 3:08 am.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Ceremony -- how long do I have to wait for ceremony

Originally Posted by jeba
I got citizenship approval letter in the first week of December. I heard there is a 6 months wait for the ceremony which is a unrealistic time frame. So I sent an email to my local council and they replied back stating that I am not likely to be invited to the 26th Jan ceremony as I have just been approved earlier this month and I have might have to wait till May. So I called DIAC following their reply and DIAC said I have to wait and they cannot tell me over the phone and I will be sent a formal letter on my ceremony dates.

Now here is my question:
Did anyone from the forum got an approval in December and have been invited to the Jan 26th Ceremony.

--I am not in a rush, however I just feel that the time frame of approval and ceremony is not realistic.--

I know that JAJ is an expert in Citizenship and other immigration related matters. Would highly appreciate your input in regards to the above, JAJ.
I know it's not Melbourne, but take a read of this thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633812

It is highly unlikely that anyone who just got approval in December would be invited to the January ceremonies.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:31 am
Respect My Authority!

Zoran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship Ceremony -- Unrealistic waiting time frame for ceremony

I got my letter in September and still no ceremony. Ceeereeemoony... where are you???

Last edited by Zoran; Dec 21st 2009 at 4:34 am.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

we had our approval in December and had to wait until May for our ceremony a couple of years ago
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

We were lucky then as we got our approvel first week of December ,I rang my local council and we have got 26th jan,I really think it depends on your local council.I do believe you can wait up to 6 months.z
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I believe he is away for Christmas
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Now here is my question:

It is realistic but you don't like it. Different councils have a different number of ceremonies a year so it sounds like your council don't have many expats in the area and so don't need to have many ceremonies. It wouldn't hurt to ring every couple of days to see if there's been a cancellation for Aus Day, especially if there's only one of you.

I got my ceremony through in a couple of weeks but it wasn't where you are and it wasn't for Aus Day which is obviously the most popular day, there's no way you'd get that after approval in December. If it's not urgent, don't worry about it. JAJ would suggest you write to your MP even though you're not a citizen yet you will be and you have a right to complain. Probably won't make any difference though.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

jeba is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I have no choice.

I still have my fingers crossed that I make it on th 26th Jan, Australia Day ceremony,,,if not then there is another ceremony scheduled in the month of march '10 & May '10.

I'm not complaining. Its just that I feel 2 months is a reasonable timeframe.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my fingers crossed that I make it on th 26th Jan, Australia Day ceremony,,,if not then there is another ceremony scheduled in the month of march '10 & May '10.

But it obviously isn't to the council or DIAC. Unfortunately many people who get approval in June, July etc etc ask for their ceremony to be delayed until Aus Day, I should imagine that day was full by October or November. Not much anyone can do about that.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The most recent quote I got from the Citizenship Unhelpline was that if one applied now then it would be 6-8 months from approval to ceremony in Brisbane The words "stuff it then" were mentioned