Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship application... online or paper??

Citizenship application... online or paper??

Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

poppyjasper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship application... online or paper??

Hi
We are looking at applying for Citizenship this month and wandered if there was any difference, time wise, between the online applications and the paper based ones??

We were hoping to get citizenship as soon as possible as we have two kids at uni and paying their fees up-front is not easy.

I've done a search but cant seem to find any answers.

Many thanks x
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application... online or paper??

In previous years online applications took longer than paper but whether that's still fact I don't know. Have you done the test? Bear in mind that however you do it, you could be looking at six months + before a ceremony depending on where you are - each council has their own time scales and whilst they should get it done in three months, they very often don't. Some only have two or three ceremonies a year.

All info about how to go about it is here. But they won't say which is quicker, I should imagine they would tell you there is no difference in how you apply or how long it will take
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

believer will become famous soon enoughbeliever will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by poppyjasper
Hi
We are looking at applying for Citizenship this month and wandered if there was any difference, time wise, between the online applications and the paper based ones??

We were hoping to get citizenship as soon as possible as we have two kids at uni and paying their fees up-front is not easy.

I've done a search but cant seem to find any answers.

Many thanks x
hi i've done the test and gonna apply late Feb. really dont know if i should apply online or paper too. Looks like nobody knows or has any experience ?!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou for replying.

No, we havent done the test yet.. went to book it in Dec and found out it had all changed grrrr...
Was hoping to get it through by July... before 2nd semester uni fees are due lol, but i dont think that'll happen now, oh well.

I might just gather all the doc's together and hand it in personally.

Thanks again
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's only been up since half 10. Give people a chance to get in from work etc to reply.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by believer
hi i've done the test and gonna apply late Feb. really dont know if i should apply online or paper too. Looks like nobody knows or has any experience ?!
I'm at bit worried about applying online as our internet connection is pretty crap and it tends to disconnect half way through sending something, so you never know if its gone or not.

But if it gets processed quicker then its worth all the frustration lol
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppyjasper
I'm at bit worried about applying online as our internet connection is pretty crap and it tends to disconnect half way through sending something, so you never know if its gone or not.

But if it gets processed quicker then its worth all the frustration lol
Bear in mind the new system has only been running since mid November so most experiences on here are under the old system.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

i did the online not knowing that it was supposedly slower....

I sent the online app on 3rd March 2010.....then after 7 days they sent a letter asking for FORM 1295....so I posted that on 24th March....I recieved the application approval on 1st April...

if I had posted my FORM 1295 within a week of sending the online app, then i figured they would sent me the approval letter much sooner as well...so online is pretty quick as well...i was worried it would take 3 months for them to send the approval letter...

now i am just waiting for the council ceremony

btw, i did the test on Oct 2009, before the changes....