British citizenship for the kids

Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default British citizenship for the kids

Hello everyone

Ive just had an upsetting conversation wth some one in the pub. He's told me that my daugther who was born here 5 years ago may not be classed as British. I assumed that my children would be British because both parents were. does any ony know if this is true.

Also my other daughter was born in Britain 6 years ago but we let her passport lapse. Does this mean she is no longer a british citizen.

I am worried, can any ony help me.

Keel
Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Re: British citizenship for the kids

It's a wind up. At least I hope so.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by keel
Hello everyone

Ive just had an upsetting conversation wth some one in the pub. He's told me that my daugther who was born here 5 years ago may not be classed as British. I assumed that my children would be British because both parents were. does any ony know if this is true.

Also my other daughter was born in Britain 6 years ago but we let her passport lapse. Does this mean she is no longer a british citizen.

Keel
If either one of you are a British citizens by birth then there is no question that your children are British Citizens by descent.

Your daughter is a British citizen by birth regardless of whether or not she has a passport.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Your children are British citizens. But I believe the one born in Australia would not be able to pass citizenship on to any future children.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Your children are British citizens. But I believe the one born in Australia would not be able to pass citizenship on to any future children.
They could transmit citizenship if they live in the UK for some period of time first. I think it's 5 years maybe?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
They could transmit citizenship if they live in the UK for some period of time first. I think it's 5 years maybe?
Oh pass. JAJ will know.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Keel
Yes, don't talk to people in pubs in Perth.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone

Your friend was actually correct but it's not a problem for most. Read, etc.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad

No, but it may be harder to get a new passport in a hurry.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

My mind has been put at rest. I think I'll apply for the passports asap in case of any changes.

Keel