Citizenship application...

Old Jan 2nd 2016, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application...

Originally Posted by shackybracky
Thanks slackbloke.

Are the rules of the 5 year rrv the same as a pr visa in that you can stay in the country indefinitely so long as you don't leave but if you do leave, say for a trip to the uk, the five year deadline date kicks in. My thinking is...if we left this may, applied for the rrv in May 2019 but didn't use it until 2024, would we have to stay in Australia for four years with no trips out?
Also not sure what you mean, but the thing with a RRV is it can only take you so far. You could get one 5 year RRV, but you will not be able to keep on getting them if you are not living in Australia. Also the rules around a RRV can change at any time, they have changed and become a little harder since I first started with the Australia thing six years ago.

Also, I assume your current visa expires (the travel part) long before May 2019, so is there any particular significance to this date.

As to your final question, well I don't understand what you mea about no trips out. Australia does not hold people prisoners and forbid them to leave the country.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

shackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to all

Our current five year pr visa will end on November 16th 2017 but only because we took a trip out of the country. Had we not have taken the trip my understanding is we could have stayed here permanently on the one visa? But because we had the trip doesn't our current visa run out in November 2017 even if we decided to stay here permenantly? In which case we'd need to become citizens before it runs out?
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Our current five year pr visa will end on November 16th 2017 but only because we took a trip out of the country. Had we not have taken the trip my understanding is we could have stayed here permanently on the one visa? But because we had the trip doesn't our current visa run out in November 2017 even if we decided to stay here permenantly? In which case we'd need to become citizens before it runs out?
Did you move almost as soon as it was granted then? Because you said you moved in November 2012?

The PR visas will last indefinitely if you remain in Australia. But they only give you the right to pass through border control for five years.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Err no. You don't have a 5 year PR visa. You have a PR visa. It doesn't change because you leave and re-enter the country. There is however a 5 year restriction from the issue of the visa to enter Australia. After that time you need an RRV to enter. Check your visa label or VEVO for entry restrictions; it's not determined by when your first entered Australia but when your visa was issued. You can currently stay as long as you like. If however you leave after May 2017 you will need an RRV to get back in (I say May 2017 because I think you visa was issued in May 2012?).
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

shackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Did you move almost as soon as it was granted then? Because you said you moved in November 2012?

The PR visas will last indefinitely if you remain in Australia. But they only give you the right to pass through border control for five years.
I think the visa was granted in March 2012 but we didn't move until November 2012. I'm pretty sure the visa end date (travel part) is November 2017.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think the visa was granted in March 2012 but we didn't move until November 2012. I'm pretty sure the visa end date (travel part) is November 2017.
No it is five years from grant. Definitely.

But to be honest, none of this RRV talk is ultimately going to help you in the situation you are in. There is only one way to ensure you retain the right to live in Australia and that is citizenship. You are taking a huge gamble and risk fracturing your family without it. You must persist in this for the good of your family. They will thank you one day!

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 2nd 2016 at 10:15 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be based on the grant date, because when DIBP grant it they have no way of knowing when you will move. Your visa letter (and label if you have one) will say soemthing like VALID FOR MULTIPLE ENTRIES, MUST NOT ENTER AFTER XX/XX/20XX
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

You're both correct. The visa was actually granted on May 1st 2012 and visa cease date is May 1st 2017.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 9:11 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Ah I got you, it didn't occur to me that somebody might apply three months after permanently leaving the country! I would be amazed if that were approved.
Yes I agree.

While the High Commission in London does process citizenship applications, I would guess the majority of those would be citizenship through descent or possibly for those married to an Australian spouse (and could apply for Ministerial discretion). I looked into applying from overseas for myself, but the requirement to prove continuing ties to Australia did not make it worth it.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 11:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Yes I agree.

While the High Commission in London does process citizenship applications, I would guess the majority of those would be citizenship through descent or possibly for those married to an Australian spouse (and could apply for Ministerial discretion). I looked into applying from overseas for myself, but the requirement to prove continuing ties to Australia did not make it worth it.
Citizenship ceremonies are held twice a year. Probably no more than 20 to 30 conferees.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Yes I agree.

Would having a child with Australian citizenship by birth be enough to show continuing ties to Australia if we applied for citizenship outside of Australia?
Old Jan 5th 2016, 10:50 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Would having a child with Australian citizenship by birth be enough to show continuing ties to Australia if we applied for citizenship outside of Australia?
I'm not sure, I am doubtful but stranger things have happened.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure, I am doubtful but stranger things have happened.
Likewise I'm doubtful, but I guess they'd only know if they tried applying.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would think little to no chance. Are you prepared to risk it? What if you leave, apply and then six months later you find out that you cannot get citizenship this way? You would either have to face the upheaval of coming back or are in the situation described earlier on the thread - family members with different citizenship and a fractured family.

I really think that you (or rather your wife) needs to face up to the reality that there is only one sensible thing to do and that is to give this another 18 more months. It is nothing in a lifetime.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 10:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No. Living with an Australian spouse, possibly. Much better to wait and get your citizenship before you leave.