Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

Old Jan 12th 2021, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

Hi all

I applied for citizenship in April 2020, and have not yet completed the citizenship test. I’m aware that some citizenship ceremonies have been held online, but have heard no news about those of us who are waiting to sit the test.

Obviously, I appreciate that these are unprecedented times, but does anyone have any information at all on what’s happening with citizenship applications? Are they just being sat on by the Department, or are they considering avenues for socially distanced tests (or even remote tests)? Difficult to do tests securely if they were done remotely, I suppose, unless it was a Zoom call with an official who asked you the questions in the style of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” 😃

Anyway, I know a few users here occasionally have a little “behind the scenes” knowledge of what’s going on at DIBP, so I just thought I’d ask if anyone had heard anything.

Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 13th 2021, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

The Dept. of Citizenship closed the Citizenship Test/Interview appointments for a while - these still needed to be done in person (to see original documents and for the test to be completed).
Most states have now opened their in person Test/Interview appointments and are moving through the backlog of applications that had been queued.

The Citizenship Ceremonies had generally been moving quite quickly once Online ceremonies were introduced.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeeTMI
The Dept. of Citizenship closed the Citizenship Test/Interview appointments for a while - these still needed to be done in person (to see original documents and for the test to be completed).
Most states have now opened their in person Test/Interview appointments and are moving through the backlog of applications that had been queued.

The Citizenship Ceremonies had generally been moving quite quickly once Online ceremonies were introduced.
Thanks for the update, Tee, much appreciated. I’m in Victoria, so any idea if they’ve restarted their in-person test/interview appointments?
Old Feb 18th 2021, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Ozwoody12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Croker
Thanks for the update, Tee, much appreciated. I’m in Victoria, so any idea if they’ve restarted their in-person test/interview appointments?
I applied last may, got invite to sit test in January and sat test 2 days ago. All in Sydney.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 18th 2021, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozwoody12
I applied last may, got invite to sit test in January and sat test 2 days ago. All in Sydney.

Hope this helps
Good to hear from someone whose application is progressing!

I suspect living in Victoria hasn’t helped the timeline of my own application - that’s life, I guess! Hopefully I’ll get my invite to sit the test soon.

How did you find the test, by the way?
Old Feb 18th 2021, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Good to hear from someone whose application is progressing!

I suspect living in Victoria hasn’t helped the timeline of my own application - that’s life, I guess! Hopefully I’ll get my invite to sit the test soon.

How did you find the test, by the way?
well Vic is a basket case so I'm not sure timeline lol.
My appointment was 10.10 am , got there at 9.30 and people were standing outside. They took 4-5 people in at a time, in 5 minute intervals. "Interview" is basically checking paperwork and getting pic taking for police check.
test took bout 6 minutes, and that was double checking answers, all information in the booklet they link in email.
100%, just make sure you get all "Australian values" question right. Got the bit of paper saying I passed.
in and out in 20 min. SHe did ask if I was planning travelling in next 12 months, so that suggested to me that's how long till ceremony
Old Feb 18th 2021, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

well Vic is a basket case so I'm not sure timeline lol.
My appointment was 10.10 am , got there at 9.30 and people were standing outside. They took 4-5 people in at a time, in 5 minute intervals. "Interview" is basically checking paperwork and getting pic taking for police check.
test took bout 6 minutes, and that was double checking answers, all information in the booklet they link in email.
100%, just make sure you get all "Australian values" question right. Got the bit of paper saying I passed.
in and out in 20 min. SHe did ask if I was planning travelling in next 12 months, so that suggested to me that's how long till ceremony
That’s all really helpful info - nice to have an idea of how it all works. Cheers for the heads-up.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 5:18 am
Just Joined

That’s all really helpful info - nice to have an idea of how it all works. Cheers for the heads-up.
not a problem, glad I could be of some assistance
Old Feb 19th 2021, 12:25 am
Just Joined

just as an update, my status has just been changed from "received " to "approved" this morning .
Old Feb 19th 2021, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

just as an update, my status has just been changed from "received " to "approved" this morning .
Congratulations!
Old Feb 19th 2021, 4:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I applied for citizenship in April 2020
It's been a long haul for you, I remember when you were brand new to Oz and now you're nearly a dinky-di Aussie I hope you hear back soon.

Old Feb 19th 2021, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's been a long haul for you, I remember when you were brand new to Oz and now you're nearly a dinky-di Aussie I hope you hear back soon.

Not long now, hopefully - been out here six years this November. Feels like a very long time since I first arrived on a Prospective Marriage Visa, with no job and no real idea of what life in Melbourne would be like!

I do feel like I’m ready just to get my citizenship and leave behind all the days of collecting documents and watching the calendar, though. Fingers crossed I get invited to do my test soon!
Old Feb 19th 2021, 9:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Not long now, hopefully - been out here six years this November. Feels like a very long time since I first arrived on a Prospective Marriage Visa, with no job and no real idea of what life in Melbourne would be like!

I do feel like I’m ready just to get my citizenship and leave behind all the days of collecting documents and watching the calendar, though. Fingers crossed I get invited to do my test soon!
I just got approved in Adelaide, and only applied in October so I think timescales may be different by state. Fingers crossed you get an invite soon - I think I had just over 2 weeks notice on test date if that helps.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I just got approved in Adelaide, and only applied in October so I think timescales may be different by state. Fingers crossed you get an invite soon - I think I had just over 2 weeks notice on test date if that helps.
Wow, that's fast! Four months is hardly any time at all - I've been waiting 10 months so far, but given Victoria's major shutdown of roughly four months, that's maybe not surprising. Did you come to Oz on a partner visa, or something else?

Anyway, congratulations. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long for a ceremony!
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's fast! Four months is hardly any time at all - I've been waiting 10 months so far, but given Victoria's major shutdown of roughly four months, that's maybe not surprising. Did you come to Oz on a partner visa, or something else?

Anyway, congratulations. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long for a ceremony!
Skilled visa - state sponsored. My son did his citizenship already - applied July 2018, test May 2019, ceremony Jan 2020. Big difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.