Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

Old Jan 12th 2021, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

Hi all

I applied for citizenship in April 2020, and have not yet completed the citizenship test. I’m aware that some citizenship ceremonies have been held online, but have heard no news about those of us who are waiting to sit the test.

Obviously, I appreciate that these are unprecedented times, but does anyone have any information at all on what’s happening with citizenship applications? Are they just being sat on by the Department, or are they considering avenues for socially distanced tests (or even remote tests)? Difficult to do tests securely if they were done remotely, I suppose, unless it was a Zoom call with an official who asked you the questions in the style of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” 😃

Anyway, I know a few users here occasionally have a little “behind the scenes” knowledge of what’s going on at DIBP, so I just thought I’d ask if anyone had heard anything.

Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 13th 2021, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

The Dept. of Citizenship closed the Citizenship Test/Interview appointments for a while - these still needed to be done in person (to see original documents and for the test to be completed).
Most states have now opened their in person Test/Interview appointments and are moving through the backlog of applications that had been queued.

The Citizenship Ceremonies had generally been moving quite quickly once Online ceremonies were introduced.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

Originally Posted by TeeTMI View Post
The Dept. of Citizenship closed the Citizenship Test/Interview appointments for a while - these still needed to be done in person (to see original documents and for the test to be completed).
Most states have now opened their in person Test/Interview appointments and are moving through the backlog of applications that had been queued.

The Citizenship Ceremonies had generally been moving quite quickly once Online ceremonies were introduced.
Thanks for the update, Tee, much appreciated. I’m in Victoria, so any idea if they’ve restarted their in-person test/interview appointments?