British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship - any news behind the scenes? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-any-news-behind-scenes-936528/)

Croker Jan 12th 2021 2:38 am

Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

Hi all

I applied for citizenship in April 2020, and have not yet completed the citizenship test. I’m aware that some citizenship ceremonies have been held online, but have heard no news about those of us who are waiting to sit the test.

Obviously, I appreciate that these are unprecedented times, but does anyone have any information at all on what’s happening with citizenship applications? Are they just being sat on by the Department, or are they considering avenues for socially distanced tests (or even remote tests)? Difficult to do tests securely if they were done remotely, I suppose, unless it was a Zoom call with an official who asked you the questions in the style of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” 😃

Anyway, I know a few users here occasionally have a little “behind the scenes” knowledge of what’s going on at DIBP, so I just thought I’d ask if anyone had heard anything.

Thanks in advance!

TeeTMI Jan 13th 2021 10:52 pm

Re: Citizenship - any news behind the scenes?

The Dept. of Citizenship closed the Citizenship Test/Interview appointments for a while - these still needed to be done in person (to see original documents and for the test to be completed).
Most states have now opened their in person Test/Interview appointments and are moving through the backlog of applications that had been queued.

The Citizenship Ceremonies had generally been moving quite quickly once Online ceremonies were introduced.

Croker Jan 13th 2021 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by TeeTMI (Post 12958472)
The Dept. of Citizenship closed the Citizenship Test/Interview appointments for a while - these still needed to be done in person (to see original documents and for the test to be completed).
Most states have now opened their in person Test/Interview appointments and are moving through the backlog of applications that had been queued.

The Citizenship Ceremonies had generally been moving quite quickly once Online ceremonies were introduced.

Thanks for the update, Tee, much appreciated. I’m in Victoria, so any idea if they’ve restarted their in-person test/interview appointments?

Ozwoody12 Feb 18th 2021 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Croker (Post 12958494)
Thanks for the update, Tee, much appreciated. I’m in Victoria, so any idea if they’ve restarted their in-person test/interview appointments?

I applied last may, got invite to sit test in January and sat test 2 days ago. All in Sydney.

Hope this helps

Croker Feb 18th 2021 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Ozwoody12 (Post 12974745)
I applied last may, got invite to sit test in January and sat test 2 days ago. All in Sydney.

Hope this helps

Good to hear from someone whose application is progressing!

I suspect living in Victoria hasn’t helped the timeline of my own application - that’s life, I guess! Hopefully I’ll get my invite to sit the test soon.

How did you find the test, by the way?

Ozwoody12 Feb 18th 2021 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Croker (Post 12974747)
Good to hear from someone whose application is progressing!

I suspect living in Victoria hasn’t helped the timeline of my own application - that’s life, I guess! Hopefully I’ll get my invite to sit the test soon.

How did you find the test, by the way?

well Vic is a basket case so I'm not sure timeline lol.
My appointment was 10.10 am , got there at 9.30 and people were standing outside. They took 4-5 people in at a time, in 5 minute intervals. "Interview" is basically checking paperwork and getting pic taking for police check.
test took bout 6 minutes, and that was double checking answers, all information in the booklet they link in email.
100%, just make sure you get all "Australian values" question right. Got the bit of paper saying I passed.
in and out in 20 min. SHe did ask if I was planning travelling in next 12 months, so that suggested to me that's how long till ceremony

Croker Feb 18th 2021 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Ozwoody12 (Post 12974750)
well Vic is a basket case so I'm not sure timeline lol.
My appointment was 10.10 am , got there at 9.30 and people were standing outside. They took 4-5 people in at a time, in 5 minute intervals. "Interview" is basically checking paperwork and getting pic taking for police check.
test took bout 6 minutes, and that was double checking answers, all information in the booklet they link in email.
100%, just make sure you get all "Australian values" question right. Got the bit of paper saying I passed.
in and out in 20 min. SHe did ask if I was planning travelling in next 12 months, so that suggested to me that's how long till ceremony

That’s all really helpful info - nice to have an idea of how it all works. Cheers for the heads-up.

Ozwoody12 Feb 18th 2021 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Croker (Post 12974751)
That’s all really helpful info - nice to have an idea of how it all works. Cheers for the heads-up.

not a problem, glad I could be of some assistance

Ozwoody12 Feb 19th 2021 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Croker (Post 12974751)

just as an update, my status has just been changed from "received " to "approved" this morning :thumb:.

Croker Feb 19th 2021 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Ozwoody12 (Post 12975112)
just as an update, my status has just been changed from "received " to "approved" this morning :thumb:.

Congratulations!

spouse of scouse Feb 19th 2021 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Croker (Post 12957421)
Hi all

I applied for citizenship in April 2020

It's been a long haul for you, I remember when you were brand new to Oz and now you're nearly a dinky-di Aussie :thumbsup: I hope you hear back soon.

Croker Feb 19th 2021 4:26 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12975131)
It's been a long haul for you, I remember when you were brand new to Oz and now you're nearly a dinky-di Aussie :thumbsup: I hope you hear back soon.

:thumbsup:

Not long now, hopefully - been out here six years this November. Feels like a very long time since I first arrived on a Prospective Marriage Visa, with no job and no real idea of what life in Melbourne would be like!

I do feel like I’m ready just to get my citizenship and leave behind all the days of collecting documents and watching the calendar, though. Fingers crossed I get invited to do my test soon!

old.sparkles Feb 19th 2021 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Croker (Post 12975133)
:thumbsup:

Not long now, hopefully - been out here six years this November. Feels like a very long time since I first arrived on a Prospective Marriage Visa, with no job and no real idea of what life in Melbourne would be like!

I do feel like I’m ready just to get my citizenship and leave behind all the days of collecting documents and watching the calendar, though. Fingers crossed I get invited to do my test soon!

I just got approved in Adelaide, and only applied in October so I think timescales may be different by state. Fingers crossed you get an invite soon - I think I had just over 2 weeks notice on test date if that helps.

Croker Feb 22nd 2021 1:50 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12975176)
I just got approved in Adelaide, and only applied in October so I think timescales may be different by state. Fingers crossed you get an invite soon - I think I had just over 2 weeks notice on test date if that helps.

Wow, that's fast! Four months is hardly any time at all - I've been waiting 10 months so far, but given Victoria's major shutdown of roughly four months, that's maybe not surprising. Did you come to Oz on a partner visa, or something else?

Anyway, congratulations. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long for a ceremony!

old.sparkles Feb 23rd 2021 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Croker (Post 12976106)
Wow, that's fast! Four months is hardly any time at all - I've been waiting 10 months so far, but given Victoria's major shutdown of roughly four months, that's maybe not surprising. Did you come to Oz on a partner visa, or something else?

Anyway, congratulations. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long for a ceremony!

Skilled visa - state sponsored. My son did his citizenship already - applied July 2018, test May 2019, ceremony Jan 2020. Big difference.