Candid advice - esp migration agents

Old May 15th 2018, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

mikenotts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Candid advice - esp migration agents

Hi folks,

Posted a few months ago. I am a Public Relations Professional and was looking at ACT state nomination - would have hit 70 pts. However, ACT scheme unavailable to people applying overseas now. Available if you have a job offer + living here already but having communicated with some local recruitment firms they say you will only be considered if you have a visa already confirmed (and most Federal organisations in the capital will only employ citizens anyway)

I imagine a STSOL sponsorship in this role elsewhere in the country would be pretty much impossible due to the screws being put on unless you work for a major corporate company willing to sponsor you (I read one story saying the Government want STSOL jobs advertised for four months before being allowed to apply)

I know some Australians in the UK via business connections and they say get yourself Down Under and show commitment and this will help - but being over 30 (just turned 34) I couldn't get a working holiday visa, so I would just be hanging about on a tourist visa, approaching people for sponsorship, which I can't see working.

So seems the only option left would be the Study Visa and if that is not based in ACT there would be no way to go for permanent residency - even if I managed to get a sponsored job. Obviously will have to weigh that up.

So I feel I have fully researched the options and was after some candid advice to see if there way anything other than the study option available - I am sort of predicting 'no', but happy to hear your expert thoughts especially those migration agents who are part of the forum.

Thanks again

Mike
Old May 16th 2018, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Candid advice - esp migration agents

Public relations professional are on the STSOL list.
There might be options for you.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 16th 2018 at 3:14 am. Reason: Advertising is not allowed
Old Jul 19th 2018, 3:57 am
Just Joined

WilliamL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Candid advice - esp migration agents

Originally Posted by mikenotts
Hi folks,

Posted a few months ago. I am a Public Relations Professional and was looking at ACT state nomination - would have hit 70 pts. However, ACT scheme unavailable to people applying overseas now. Available if you have a job offer + living here already but having communicated with some local recruitment firms they say you will only be considered if you have a visa already confirmed (and most Federal organisations in the capital will only employ citizens anyway)

I imagine a STSOL sponsorship in this role elsewhere in the country would be pretty much impossible due to the screws being put on unless you work for a major corporate company willing to sponsor you (I read one story saying the Government want STSOL jobs advertised for four months before being allowed to apply)

I know some Australians in the UK via business connections and they say get yourself Down Under and show commitment and this will help - but being over 30 (just turned 34) I couldn't get a working holiday visa, so I would just be hanging about on a tourist visa, approaching people for sponsorship, which I can't see working.

So seems the only option left would be the Study Visa and if that is not based in ACT there would be no way to go for permanent residency - even if I managed to get a sponsored job. Obviously will have to weigh that up.

So I feel I have fully researched the options and was after some candid advice to see if there way anything other than the study option available - I am sort of predicting 'no', but happy to hear your expert thoughts especially those migration agents who are part of the forum.

Thanks again

Mike
One little known option is is you are able to prove Superior English via your English test, you can try applying under NSW's stream 2. They reserve this stream for 'high calibre' applicants although they don't define how they choose people, but in my experience they've selected based on high English scores or very nice occupations.

You DON'T have to be on their skilled occupation list for NSW to be able to apply for this stream.