Cancelling citizenship application

Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

ivanbaba is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cancelling citizenship application

I want to cancel Australian Citizenship application. Anyone know how to do it ? I have received a letter from Immigration last week that they have approved my application.

Pls advise.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to cancel visa application?

Originally Posted by ivanbaba
I want to cancel Australian Citizenship application. Anyone know how to do it ? I have received a letter from Immigration last week that they have approved my application.

Pls advise.
1. Why do you want to cancel the application?
2. Given the application is approved, the easy way for you to not become a citizen is to indefinitely delay attending the citizenship ceremony. Alternately, inform DIAC about your intention to withdraw the application and stop the process.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Pls advise.
Would the only way be to denounce your citizenship? Hope not. If you don't mind me asking, what is your reason for not wanting to be a citizen?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Pls advise.
Contact the office where you applied in writing that you wish to withdraw your application. Don't forget to include your reference number and all your other details such as full name, date of birth and passport number just so they can be sure it's actually you writing the letter.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: How to cancel visa application?

Originally Posted by looky
Would the only way be to denounce your citizenship? Hope not. If you don't mind me asking, what is your reason for not wanting to be a citizen?
I have got US Immigrant visa on Indian passport and if I get Australian passport then I wont be able to fly out on Indian passport. Also, I need to do new process to get US visa again..

If you have any idea(s) , let me know.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have got US Immigrant visa on Indian passport and if I get Australian passport then I wont be able to fly out on Indian passport. Also, I need to do new process to get US visa again..

If India allows dual citizenship then you can keep your Indian passport as well as have an Australian one. Your US visa will stay in your Indian passport and you simply use that one to go to US when/if you travel. You will need to use your Australian one to re-enter Australia, so will need to carry both with you when you travel.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If India allows dual citizenship then you can keep your Indian passport as well as have an Australian one. Your US visa will stay in your Indian passport and you simply use that one to go to US when/if you travel. You will need to use your Australian one to re-enter Australia, so will need to carry both with you when you travel.
India cannot provide DUAL CITIZENSHIP BUT they provide OCI...

The Indian government recently launched a program called "Overseas Citizens of India" or "OCI". This program often has been mischaracterized as "dual nationality" or "dual citizenship." However, a person who holds an OCI Card in reality is granted an Indian visa, not Indian citizenship. Thus, an American citizen who obtains OCI status remains a citizen only of the United States.

I am not sure whether I can travel on INDIAN passport or not after getting Australian Passport.

Your suggestion will be much appreciated.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

India cannot provide DUAL CITIZENSHIP BUT they provide OCI...

The Indian government recently launched a program called "Overseas Citizens of India" or "OCI". This program often has been mischaracterized as "dual nationality" or "dual citizenship." However, a person who holds an OCI Card in reality is granted an Indian visa, not Indian citizenship. Thus, an American citizen who obtains OCI status remains a citizen only of the United States.

I am not sure whether I can travel on INDIAN passport or not after getting Australian Passport.

You can not travel on an Indian passport after obtaining an Australian Passport. According to the Indian Citizenship Act 1955 and rules contained therein
Rule 3 of Schedule III of the Citizenship Rules, 1956 states that "the fact that a citizen of India has obtained on any date a passport from the Government of any other country shall be conclusive proof of his having voluntarily acquired the citizenship of that country before that date".
And since you are no longer considered to be an Indian Citizen, your Indian Passport is technically no longer valid for travel.

Logic dictates that your should approach the US Consulate and enquire whether your Immigrant US Visa can be transfered accross to your Australian Passport. (It is unclear from your posts if you've done that already).

In an extreme circumstance, Australian Government does issue a Special Category Visa tied to your foreign passport which allows you to enter Australia using your foreign passport. Though wanting to preserve an Indian Passport to continue access to US as an Immigrant might not be an extreme enough circumstance to obtain an SCV.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ColonialCousin
You can not travel on an Indian passport after obtaining an Australian Passport. According to the Indian Citizenship Act 1955 and rules contained therein

And since you are no longer considered to be an Indian Citizen, your Indian Passport is technically no longer valid for travel.

Logic dictates that your should approach the US Consulate and enquire whether your Immigrant US Visa can be transfered accross to your Australian Passport. (It is unclear from your posts if you've done that already).

In an extreme circumstance, Australian Government does issue a Special Category Visa tied to your foreign passport which allows you to enter Australia using your foreign passport. Though wanting to preserve an Indian Passport to continue access to US as an Immigrant might not be an extreme enough circumstance to obtain an SCV.
Though wanting to preserve an Indian Passport to continue access to US as an Immigrant might not be an extreme enough circumstance to obtain an SCV.
What do you mean by SCV ? I dont understand what do you mean by this ?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Thus, an American citizen who obtains OCI status remains a citizen only of the United States.
You are right. Technically an "OCI" is not an Indian citizen.

Once you get Australian Citizenship, you can not use your Indian passport for any travel reasons, since your Indian passport becomes invalid technically.

Remember once you get your OCI Visa sticker ("U" Visa), your Indian passport will be returned with a "Cancelled" stamp in it.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Just found this on the Internet (someone asked the same question):

It says, you need to apply for a new US visa. Can not authenticate or validate the information and I'm really not sure if it's correct.

Why don't you talk to the US consulate and find out.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Just found this on the Internet (someone asked the same question):

It says, you need to apply for a new US visa. Can not authenticate or validate the information and I'm really not sure if it's correct.

Why don't you talk to the US consulate and find out.
Posts moved to new thread instead of being in an old one with misleading title!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelling citizenship application

As a point of fact just because you have applied for citizenship in Australia, been approved, you are NOT an Australian Citizen until you actually attend the citizenship ceremony and take the Oath.

So just call DIAC and speak to them.