Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can we get from NZ to Aus sooner (like now!)

Can we get from NZ to Aus sooner (like now!)

Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:43 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default Can we get from NZ to Aus sooner (like now!)

Hi All

We have applied for the 175 visa, which we are hoping we will have by April/May time. (on line application - Dec 4th)

We are so 'OVER' working and living here in NZ, so wondered if we had any other options of getting to Aus and working sooner, whilst we wait for our 175 visa to come through. (We don't have citizenship and do have IRRV)

Husband is MODL painter and decorator. I am an interior designer.

I presume that you apply for a different visa type. If we were to find an employer would this make a difference. What would we have do do and what would be the costs of doing this. Does coming over on another visa have any implications at the other end.

I am just trying to find out the pros and cons of doing this, or whether its worth just hanging on in there.

Debbie
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we get from NZ to Aus sooner (like now!)

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Hi All

We have applied for the 175 visa, which we are hoping we will have by April/May time. (on line application - Dec 4th)

We are so 'OVER' working and living here in NZ, so wondered if we had any other options of getting to Aus and working sooner, whilst we wait for our 175 visa to come through. (We don't have citizenship and do have IRRV)

Husband is MODL painter and decorator. I am an interior designer.

I presume that you apply for a different visa type. If we were to find an employer would this make a difference. What would we have do do and what would be the costs of doing this. Does coming over on another visa have any implications at the other end.

I am just trying to find out the pros and cons of doing this, or whether its worth just hanging on in there.
There is the 457 visa but it has its own range of issues:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

Bear in mind that if you are granted a 175 and your 457 is still pending, you would need to withdraw the 457 application immediately as a grant of 457 would then cancel your 175.

You'd have more flexibility if you were New Zealand citizens.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 5:29 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can we get from NZ to Aus sooner (like now!)

Thanks for the information JAJ, most helpful. I think after reading that, we will have to sit tight for the meantime and put up with our lives in NZ for now.

We have been in NZ for just over 3 years, so could have applied for citizenship but that process is currently taking about nine months to complete, not to mention the cost. We decided it would be better for us to spend our money, time and effort applying directly for permanent residency for Australia, which will be a more long term option for us in the long run, but I appreciate your comment.

Debbie