Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Confused about work rights on Bridging Visa A

Confused about work rights on Bridging Visa A

Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:14 am
monkey lover

FayWray is a jewel in the roughFayWray is a jewel in the roughFayWray is a jewel in the roughFayWray is a jewel in the roughFayWray is a jewel in the rough
Default Confused about work rights on Bridging Visa A

Hi all, would be really grateful for any help on this. After finishing my course I finally applied for an onshore de facto visa on 21 January... yippee! My student visa ran out yesterday so as of today, I'm on bridging visa A.

Now, I had permission to work under the student visa - part-time (20hrs pw) during semesters and full-time (40hrs pw) during vacation time - so my permission to work rolls onto my bridging visa. My EVO states my bridging visa condition as clause 8105: 'Work limitation: During semester, the visa holder cannot work for more than 20 hours a week unless the work is a requirement of the course. During vacation, the visa holder can work full time.' So far so simple.

However, I was under the impression I'd be able to work full time because my course had well and truly finished when I applied for the de facto visa (official end date of my course: 31 Dec 07). So I called DIAC today and they said that as I applied for the de facto visa during the official summer vacation of my school (Uni of Melb), I can work full time.

'Yippee' I hear you say, 'the almighty DIAC has spoken... go forth and work 40 hrs pw'. But I have nothing official stating this and don't want to do something wrong and have to deal with the consequences down the track.

So... getting to my point... my question is: has anyone had the same experience? Can anyone help or shed any light on this?

Many many thanks, Fay
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about work rights on Bridging Visa A

Hello Fay,

Bridging Visa A normally have exactly the same work conditions as the visa you had, I would therefore assume that you can work full-time during the official holiday period and part time during the school/university term.

Maybe the person you spoke to meant this?

Normally if there is a work restriction of a bridging visa you need to apply for a new bridging visa for unlimited work rights. This will only be granted if you prove a "compelling need to work".

But if you have applied for a spouse visa it really shouldn't be that long before that is granted!

I would seek written clarification, you don't want to get caught out.

Cheers,
Veronika
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FayWray
So... getting to my point... my question is: has anyone had the same experience? Can anyone help or shed any light on this?

Many many thanks, Fay
Yeah we went round in circles with DIAC trying to confirm working rights AFTER studies. One person there would tell us we held the same rights as Student Visa - 20 hours, and the next would tell us we had unlimited ...

In the end I spoke to a supervisor who explained altho Bridging Visa A does hold the same rights as previous visa (Student), once you've completed your studies you are now 'out of session' so have unlimited working rights ...

I asked if a letter could be sent to clarify, and she said she couldn't but to take her name, date, time of call etc if there's any probs in the future.

Hope that's of some use.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and just checked my Student / PR application folder and I still have the ladies name etc if you come into any trouble ...
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:17 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Same for me as for Paul and Nic - was told I had unlimited work rights!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FayWray
Hi all, would be really grateful for any help on this. After finishing my course I finally applied for an onshore de facto visa on 21 January... yippee! My student visa ran out yesterday so as of today, I'm on bridging visa A.
Any particular reason why you didn't apply for a skill based visa?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:00 am
monkey lover

FayWray is a jewel in the roughFayWray is a jewel in the roughFayWray is a jewel in the roughFayWray is a jewel in the roughFayWray is a jewel in the rough

Phew, thanks for your help... encouraging news. I think I'll call DIAC again on Monday as I stupidly didn't take details of the person I spoke to.

JAJ - I'm not eligible... not enough points (105), aussie family not eligible to sponsor (adoption reasons) and despite a degree and 8 yrs' good experience, no companies would sponsor me. All very complicated but I came over on a holiday visa, then quickly decided to study (postgrad not degree) and now have over 14 months of living with my partner and a truckload of evidence going back 3 years.

Believe me, this has been a very long process which is why I'm so desperate to finally be able to work full-time again.

Thanks again guys, esp. PaulandNic... been following your story and its great things are working out for you.

Last edited by FayWray; Feb 2nd 2008 at 8:04 am.