Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can my hubby be employer sponsored? Any advice please!

Can my hubby be employer sponsored? Any advice please!

Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:21 am
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice
Default Can my hubby be employer sponsored? Any advice please!

Hi all,
We are currently here on a student visa, and with all these new rules coming in and the near cert possibility of hairdressing coming off the list. I have been desperatly researching our options to stay here. Two friends already going home from my class, (plus if it doesnt, who is gonna pay me $45,000 per yr as a hairdresser!!)
My husband is currently working for a Food Retailer, started off driving,and is now in the warehouse, they love him where he is as he is a grafter. And there is a real possibility they would help us via employer sponsorship.
He was a firefighter back home, and has all the heavy truck licences, ( which is why they employed him). My main question is can they sponsor him in any way.
I know they will help, as they wouldnt want to lose him, but obviously he hasnt got a skilled trade to apply under.
I was have been looking at dimia, but getting confused, I would like any clarity, or advice, if this is an option before we approach his employer.
Thanks in advance everyone!
Michele
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can my hubby be employer sponsored? Any advice please!

Can't help I'm afraid but hope things work out for you both. You might be best speaking to an Agent as I think for employer sponsorship you still have to have a skill in demand - that said I've not looked into it - yet!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:46 am
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

Thanks Wendy,
I know its nuts at the mo, everythings all up in the air, The place he works in has just expanded, just been looking at the list for ENS and supply and distribution is on there, which is what he is doing,
Just trying to find something to go for, as even if i do the job ready, and all that palava, no hairdresser here is on $45,000 a year!!
Think will look at an agent tho, for options, Alan Collet is near us, may go say hello!
take care honey!!
xx
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Keep me posted as it might be something that we look into as well.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:54 am
MicheleandBarry

I will do Wendy, think gonna give alan a call to see if this is an option, will keep you posted hun!
Take care
Michele
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband can be sponsored for employer sponsored PR only if he would qualify for a role on the SOL / ENSOL. To go straight to PR he would require skills assessment too, I think this can almost certainly be ruled out in his occupation.

Alternatively it might be possible for him to be sponsored for a temporary employer sponsored visa, which might eventually lead to PR if he is employer on a job on the 457 occupations list. Follow the link below and scroll down to where it says "specification of occupations" and you will find the list.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...nomination.htm

Of course if there is a job on this list you feel he would be able to apply under, it doesn't mean that it is a given as he and the company will have other hurdles to overcome, but if he is not in a job on the list then this is a non-starter.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think you would need to earn $45k?

If you go through the job ready process, and can then apply for the 885 visa, there is no minimum wage, it is not linked to a job. And nobody knows what will happen with the list yet. Hairdressing is a 60 point occupation isn't it? In which case, you would imagin they would just drop the point level before taking it off the list all together.

After being here on a student visa and also trying to look at every option, I don't think it would be likely that your hubbie could be sponsored.

George Lombard on here is a good agent to go to for advice. There are lots of bad ones out there.

Good luck
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

I did see somewhere that mentioned that if we get taken off the list, we can still apply for a graduate visa and hope to get sponsored while on the graduate visa. My problem with that is, I thought if you weren't on the SOL list, you couldn't be sponsored. Are they going to change that rule? And then there is always that minimum wage they have to pay you if they want to sponsor.. Which is about 45 000$.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:29 pm
MicheleandBarry

Originally Posted by canadiangal75
I did see somewhere that mentioned that if we get taken off the list, we can still apply for a graduate visa and hope to get sponsored while on the graduate visa. My problem with that is, I thought if you weren't on the SOL list, you couldn't be sponsored. Are they going to change that rule? And then there is always that minimum wage they have to pay you if they want to sponsor.. Which is about 45 000$.
Yep thats where i got the $45000 from,
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:30 pm
MicheleandBarry

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Your husband can be sponsored for employer sponsored PR only if he would qualify for a role on the SOL / ENSOL. To go straight to PR he would require skills assessment too, I think this can almost certainly be ruled out in his occupation.

Alternatively it might be possible for him to be sponsored for a temporary employer sponsored visa, which might eventually lead to PR if he is employer on a job on the 457 occupations list. Follow the link below and scroll down to where it says "specification of occupations" and you will find the list.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...nomination.htm

Of course if there is a job on this list you feel he would be able to apply under, it doesn't mean that it is a given as he and the company will have other hurdles to overcome, but if he is not in a job on the list then this is a non-starter.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, looking into it!
Cheers Michele