Can anyone on CPV help please?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default Can anyone on CPV help please?

Hi there, I was hoping that some one might be able to please help us clear up a few questions re state pensions after getting the CPV visa, as our folks need to do some sums and work out if they can afford to live in WA before they apply

Are we right in thinking they can not apply for the Australian age pension until they have 10 yrs residence?

I believe there is no longer a reciprical agreement for this with the UK?

If they receive their UK state pension in Australia, what is the rate at which tax gets applied to it here? (I gather they will no longer pay tax on it in the UK once they reside here, but that that it will be frozen at the level they leave the UK on)?

Has anyone managed to get a WA seniors card or a commonwealth senior health card?

Many thanks if anyone can help, I've made a few calls to gov depts but sometimes they are reading from the same web sites I am, as they go along!!

Cheers, HB
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone on CPV help please?

Originally Posted by HugoB
Hi there, I was hoping that some one might be able to please help us clear up a few questions re state pensions after getting the CPV visa, as our folks need to do some sums and work out if they can afford to live in WA before they apply

Are we right in thinking they can not apply for the Australian age pension until they have 10 yrs residence?
Correct (you should confirm the 10 years on the Centrelink site). And it is means tested.

I believe there is no longer a reciprical agreement for this with the UK?

Correct but they can still get pension based on their contributions there.

If they receive their UK state pension in Australia, what is the rate at which tax gets applied to it here?
As far as I am aware it just gets included with other income so visit http://www.ato.gov.au

Don't know the answer to your other questions. But maybe it would be better to ask on the lifestyle forum.