Business owner visa

Old Apr 1st 2006, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

jonathanb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Business owner visa

Hi

I am busy doing my skills assessment but have found a business that I would really like to buy for my wife to run. Would it be quicker and easier to buy this business and apply for a visa as a business owner. On the DIMA site it talks about having to had owned a previous business which we havent but it also talks about only having to own min 10% of the business in AUS where we would own 100%. Does anyone know how strict they are with the rules.
For a business owner it seems that you first get a 4 yr provisional visa then only can you apply for PR. Would it be a problem if I carried on with my skilled and got PR through that even if we were already in AUS with busness visa.

Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2006, 3:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business owner visa

Originally Posted by jonathanb
Hi

I am busy doing my skills assessment but have found a business that I would really like to buy for my wife to run. Would it be quicker and easier to buy this business and apply for a visa as a business owner. On the DIMA site it talks about having to had owned a previous business which we havent but it also talks about only having to own min 10% of the business in AUS where we would own 100%. Does anyone know how strict they are with the rules.
For a business owner it seems that you first get a 4 yr provisional visa then only can you apply for PR. Would it be a problem if I carried on with my skilled and got PR through that even if we were already in AUS with busness visa.

Thanks
You need an existing track record to qualify for a business visa. And since business visas are provisional, it makes a lot more sense usually to get a permanent skilled visa - nothing stopping you (in terms of immigration law) starting a business when you arrive.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need an existing track record to qualify for a business visa......
I have been offered partnership in a consultancy company who want to expand into the Health, Safety and Environment area. I have no business experience as I have always been an employee of a company. If I decide to take on the role, would I immediately be able to use the existing 15 year history of the consultancy as evidence of an 'existing track record'? Can't believe it would be that easy but I just got to ask.

TP
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trainee_pilot
I have been offered partnership in a consultancy company who want to expand into the Health, Safety and Environment area. I have no business experience as I have always been an employee of a company. If I decide to take on the role, would I immediately be able to use the existing 15 year history of the consultancy as evidence of an 'existing track record'? Can't believe it would be that easy but I just got to ask.
I doubt it. But you should read Booklet 7 to be sure.

Alternatively - can they sponsor you for ENS or RSMS (booklet 5) or can you get general skilled migration (Booklet 6). Or maybe a SIR visa would suit if nothing better is possible.

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 2nd 2006 at 10:04 pm.