British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Business owner visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/business-owner-visa-365009/)

jonathanb Mar 31st 2006 11:36 pm

Business owner visa

Hi

I am busy doing my skills assessment but have found a business that I would really like to buy for my wife to run. Would it be quicker and easier to buy this business and apply for a visa as a business owner. On the DIMA site it talks about having to had owned a previous business which we havent but it also talks about only having to own min 10% of the business in AUS where we would own 100%. Does anyone know how strict they are with the rules.
For a business owner it seems that you first get a 4 yr provisional visa then only can you apply for PR. Would it be a problem if I carried on with my skilled and got PR through that even if we were already in AUS with busness visa.

Thanks

JAJ Apr 1st 2006 3:13 am

Re: Business owner visa

Originally Posted by jonathanb
Hi

I am busy doing my skills assessment but have found a business that I would really like to buy for my wife to run. Would it be quicker and easier to buy this business and apply for a visa as a business owner. On the DIMA site it talks about having to had owned a previous business which we havent but it also talks about only having to own min 10% of the business in AUS where we would own 100%. Does anyone know how strict they are with the rules.
For a business owner it seems that you first get a 4 yr provisional visa then only can you apply for PR. Would it be a problem if I carried on with my skilled and got PR through that even if we were already in AUS with busness visa.

Thanks

You need an existing track record to qualify for a business visa. And since business visas are provisional, it makes a lot more sense usually to get a permanent skilled visa - nothing stopping you (in terms of immigration law) starting a business when you arrive.

trainee_pilot Apr 2nd 2006 9:30 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need an existing track record to qualify for a business visa......

I have been offered partnership in a consultancy company who want to expand into the Health, Safety and Environment area. I have no business experience as I have always been an employee of a company. If I decide to take on the role, would I immediately be able to use the existing 15 year history of the consultancy as evidence of an 'existing track record'? Can't believe it would be that easy but I just got to ask.

TP

JAJ Apr 2nd 2006 10:01 am

Originally Posted by trainee_pilot
I have been offered partnership in a consultancy company who want to expand into the Health, Safety and Environment area. I have no business experience as I have always been an employee of a company. If I decide to take on the role, would I immediately be able to use the existing 15 year history of the consultancy as evidence of an 'existing track record'? Can't believe it would be that easy but I just got to ask.

I doubt it. But you should read Booklet 7 to be sure.

Alternatively - can they sponsor you for ENS or RSMS (booklet 5) or can you get general skilled migration (Booklet 6). Or maybe a SIR visa would suit if nothing better is possible.