Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

British Army Overseas Lateral Transfer (Aussie Army)

British Army Overseas Lateral Transfer (Aussie Army)

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:34 pm
Living at the Top End

MLC65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Army Overseas Lateral Transfer (Aussie Army)

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Can anyone advise, is the interview a day long thing or? Also, where do the interviews tend to take place? I'm going over to London with the OH but won't be involved in the interview as we're not married and I've already submitted my GSM 175 as a Primary School Teacher.

Any information about what sort of questions he could may well get and also any pointers as to preparation he should do beforehand would be greatly appreciated, if you'd rather PM me the information, then that's fine also....

I recall reading in a previous post on this thread that some people who were interviewed last year are still waiting for their visas, so has the whole process slowed right down like it has for us standard visa applicants or are some fast-tracked while others have to wait a little longer?

Oh and one last thing, flip so many questions, sorry...at what point is he told where he'll initially be based, at the interview or soon afterwards?

Sorry for all the queries but he wasn't expecting to get called for interview so soon and is a little apprehensive as to what to expect from the day!?

Thanks everyone,

Jen xo
Just a quick response:

Interviews are normally held in the Strand Palace Hotel starting at 8am through to about 4pm (they provide nibbles and lunch). You will get told on the day if you have been successful or not. They then ask you to confirm your acceptance of the offer after you have left. They then can take up to 6 weeks getting back to you with confirmation of the position and potentially where you would be posted. This can change though. The visa process then takes 3 to 5 months as it is with a Labour Agreement so is much easier but there is still a wait. Altogether we interviewed on 18 Aug 08 and will arrive in Darwin on 1 Aug 09.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:36 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MLC65
Just a quick response:

Interviews are normally held in the Strand Palace Hotel starting at 8am through to about 4pm (they provide nibbles and lunch). You will get told on the day if you have been successful or not. They then ask you to confirm your acceptance of the offer after you have left. They then can take up to 6 weeks getting back to you with confirmation of the position and potentially where you would be posted. This can change though. The visa process then takes 3 to 5 months as it is with a Labour Agreement so is much easier but there is still a wait. Altogether we interviewed on 18 Aug 08 and will arrive in Darwin on 1 Aug 09.
Great, thanks
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:57 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else being interviewed for lateral transfer this summer?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Chefette is an unknown quantity at this point

:
Hi there
thought I would join in this topic.
We were interviewed last August(08) and we arrived in NSW early May09.
Originally we were going to Darwin but 2 months before we left it was changed to Sydney.
It would seem there were no positions for my O/H in Darwin so we have been sent to a Reservist unit.We will be here until January 2011 after which we will be sent who knows where!!!!
Of the 5 who attended the interviews on the same day all but 1 have had their postings changed at the last minute.
If I can help in any way please get in touch.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:17 am
Living at the Top End

MLC65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chefette
:
Hi there
thought I would join in this topic.
We were interviewed last August(08) and we arrived in NSW early May09.
Originally we were going to Darwin but 2 months before we left it was changed to Sydney.
It would seem there were no positions for my O/H in Darwin so we have been sent to a Reservist unit.We will be here until January 2011 after which we will be sent who knows where!!!!
Of the 5 who attended the interviews on the same day all but 1 have had their postings changed at the last minute.
If I can help in any way please get in touch.
Welcome and hope you are enjoying life in Oz. Our container left our German quarter on Wednesday and we are currently sitting in the hotel. We interviewed Aug 18 08 and arrive Darwin Aug 1 09. Hoping they don't change our between now and then!!

So looking forward to getting downunder and starting our new life.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Not quite what I was expecting although I am sure it will get better in time.
Unfortunately a job for me is proving difficult.so I spend a lot of time on my own.O/H works a lot more hours than we were expecting and works most weekends as well
The ADF house all services together(army,navy,airforce)sadly where we are they really do not mix!!!
O/H has a 45min commute each day as well.
Housing is really spread out over a huge area.We live in a complex of only 18 and very rarely see anyone.
Sydney itself is over an hour away by train or car.I have been there a few times but its not really any fun on your own.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:27 am
Just Joined

MrsRP is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh, that sounds hard. What Reg is your OH with? I must admit one of my biggest concerns is not being able to find work when we get out there. That teamed with your OH working long hours must be tough.

I hope that you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Mrs RP
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:12 am
Just Joined

He is with 5CSSB based at Banksmeadow which is by Sydney airport.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:16 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

He is with 5CSSB based at Banksmeadow which is by Sydney airport.
Hi Chefette, sorry to hear ur finding things isolated and a bit lonely out there. Can I just say, this forum is excellent and u will hopefully meet a lot of decent people through it. If you go the barbie section of the Aussie forum there's lots of people on there who arrange meet-ups etc and there's sure to be one near u! My OH and I have our interview on the 30th July, fingers crossed everything goes ok, and who knows where we'll end up!

Jen xo
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Its not all bad.I am now studying for something totally different.Keeps me out of trouble (and the shops)while he is at work
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:44 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Its not all bad.I am now studying for something totally different.Keeps me out of trouble (and the shops)while he is at work
Tee hee, though I hear the shops, and fashion in general, are/is stuck in the dark ages! Just as well I have no fashion sense eh lol
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:45 am
Just Joined

MrsRP is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds like a positive outlook. What area do you normally work in?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

I am a chef(army trained)Really did not think I would have any trouble
However the jobs are just not there.Plus it is the wrong time of year I would imagine it will be slightly easier once the summer comes.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Tee hee, though I hear the shops, and fashion in general, are/is stuck in the dark ages! Just as well I have no fashion sense eh lol
They are a bit but I have no fashion sense either
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:02 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

They are a bit but I have no fashion sense either
Glad I'm not alone! Apparently I will have a fair bit of trouble finding a teaching job too....lots of subbing to start off with I bet, til they try to understand what the h*ll I'm saying! What part of the UK are you originally from yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.