Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

British Army Overseas Lateral Transfer (Aussie Army)

British Army Overseas Lateral Transfer (Aussie Army)

Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:25 am
Just Joined

annette5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Army Overseas Lateral Transfer (Aussie Army)

Hi MLC65,

First of all a big congrats!!!!
I am sure after our interview (beginning of august) I will be asking alot of questions!!!
How exciting for you, some friends of ours went to Darwin last year and they love it,
talk soon Annette
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:08 pm
Living at the Top End

MLC65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annette5
Hi MLC65,

First of all a big congrats!!!!
I am sure after our interview (beginning of august) I will be asking alot of questions!!!
How exciting for you, some friends of ours went to Darwin last year and they love it,
talk soon Annette
Many thanks and if I can help at all let me know - I can certainly give you up to date as far as we have gone and will be thinking of you in August!
Good Luck
Melissa
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

MrsRP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my hubby and I also have an interview the beginning of August, I wondered if anyone could give any details to the sort of questions that they may ask me. I'm very excited but also nervous that I'm as prepared as my OH in relation to the interview.

Any little nuggets of wisdom would be gratefully received. My current commute to work is now taken up by asking myself interview questions that they may ask me.......It could be a long 8 weeks.

Thanks in advance

Mrs Random Punter
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:14 pm
Living at the Top End

Post Re: British Army Overseas Lateral Transfer (Aussie Army)

Originally Posted by MrsRP
Hi, my hubby and I also have an interview the beginning of August, I wondered if anyone could give any details to the sort of questions that they may ask me. I'm very excited but also nervous that I'm as prepared as my OH in relation to the interview.

Any little nuggets of wisdom would be gratefully received. My current commute to work is now taken up by asking myself interview questions that they may ask me.......It could be a long 8 weeks.

Thanks in advance

Mrs Random Punter
From what I remember the only question they asked me was how I feel about moving to Australia and do I realise how big the country is and the distances? This, I think, was because my father lives in Perth and obviously there are no regular army bases there.

During the Board there was on Maj who kept on at us about how we would feel being called whinging poms - that was the only controversial question I can remember.

Before the interview I did have a telephone interview with the Social Worker to asses how I felt about moving to Oz and to determine whether or not I had thought about it or was being driven along by my husband. After 2 minutes they were quite happy and that was that, so I didn't have a meeting with the Social Worker on the interview day.

Be prepared to hang around a long time that day - you get together for a group meeting first thing - there are about 8 or 10 couples on the day. Then people have a few forms to fill in and then go to meet individual sections. Last year my OH was interviewed by the doc on his own whilst I sat and waited (no change there then) then we went into the board. The REDLO (education officer) is also there for you to discuss your schooling options if you have children and we then had a meeting with a WO for us to ask any questions we had.

Don't get too het up as if you have been called forward to interview they are normally very interested in you although not every one is accepted on the day. You do spend the day downstairs in a windowless suite so if you have a book to distract you that would be a good idea although as everyone else in the process that day are in the same position you usually end up chatting to each other.

Just bear in mind that the service person is the one they are interested in interviewing and they just want o check that you are not going to have a hissy fit if you get accepted and don't like Oz once you have landed. It has happened before and does not help the image of whinging poms that a lot of Australians have. Be positive, understand what the implications are of what you are looking at doing and you will be fine.

Best of luck
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

That's great, thankyou for taking the time to send such a comprehensive reply. Don't suppose you know the ratio of how many people get through the interview process?

Many Thanks
Mrs RP
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:31 pm
Living at the Top End

Originally Posted by MrsRP
That's great, thankyou for taking the time to send such a comprehensive reply. Don't suppose you know the ratio of how many people get through the interview process?

Many Thanks
Mrs RP
Because each day is separate you only get to know about your group if you stay around and obviously from the rumour mill once the guys talk afterwards!!!

We were first in for the results and left straight away so really not sure. My husband has given up his commission to revert to the ranks (Sgt) so they were quite keen to get him - lots of experience and knowledge plus they knew how much we wanted it. A couple of other guys from OH Corp went - 1 got in, 1 didn't but they interview about 230 people altogether so one has to assume that they are looking to place a fair number. Sorry can not be too positive as I really don't know the answer but hope it helps a little
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Lovely thanks, good luck with the big move.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Hello all,

Just a quick update......well our dream has been put on hold.....having a date for interview at the beginning of August, we have had an email this morning saying that my husbands trade is no longer recruting..............GUTTED.

We therefore no longer need to attend interviews.

A big thanks to everyone for help and advice, and good luck to everyone else this summer in interviews.

Annette
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:24 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Just a quick update......well our dream has been put on hold.....having a date for interview at the beginning of August, we have had an email this morning saying that my husbands trade is no longer recruting..............GUTTED.

A big thanks to everyone for help and advice, and good luck to everyone else this summer in interviews.

Annette
Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear this, so what now? Could you enter Australia with your skill as the main applicant?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:22 pm
Living at the Top End

Hello all,

Annette
I am so sorry - I know how that feels - my OH got accepted by the Army twice then when they went back to Oz there were no positions to fill so they withdrew the offer. We kept on trying though and we got there - don't give up hope - how much longer has he got left in?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:40 am
Just Joined

I'm sorry to hear that what a shame. Scary how things can change so quickly and so close to the interviews. But, looking on the bright side, maybe it could change to go back to the original plan as quickly.

Fingers Crossed

MrsRP
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your kind words..............hopefully things will change..........we are very lucky and do have time on our side as my husband is still in brit army and can be for along time yet, we will kep trying..........one day we WILL be there!!
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:22 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has just been told he has his interview on the 27th July, what should he have to do meanwhile and how long after the interview would he be granted his visa etc. Is it very quickly after the interview?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:37 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
My OH has just been told he has his interview on the 27th July, what should he have to do meanwhile and how long after the interview would he be granted his visa etc. Is it very quickly after the interview?
Between the 27th July and 7th August, he's to choose a day....
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:39 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Can anyone advise, is the interview a day long thing or? Also, where do the interviews tend to take place? I'm going over to London with the OH but won't be involved in the interview as we're not married and I've already submitted my GSM 175 as a Primary School Teacher.

Any information about what sort of questions he could may well get and also any pointers as to preparation he should do beforehand would be greatly appreciated, if you'd rather PM me the information, then that's fine also....

I recall reading in a previous post on this thread that some people who were interviewed last year are still waiting for their visas, so has the whole process slowed right down like it has for us standard visa applicants or are some fast-tracked while others have to wait a little longer?

Oh and one last thing, flip so many questions, sorry...at what point is he told where he'll initially be based, at the interview or soon afterwards?

Sorry for all the queries but he wasn't expecting to get called for interview so soon and is a little apprehensive as to what to expect from the day!?

Thanks everyone,

Jen xo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.