Breaking News - 457 visa being abolished

Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking News - 457 visa being abolished

Originally Posted by GarryP
ABC report suggests that existing 457 will still be able to apply for PR at the end of 4 years. Probably treated same as these 'medium' visa types.

457 visa changes: What you need to know

So your work colleague should be OK, provided they keep the job and thus the visa.
There is an age limit to applying for PR after 4 years of 457. If you are over that age, PR is not an option and you have to re-apply for a 457.

I guess nothing changes for these oldies except they re-apply every 2 years instead.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

extrobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
On another forum, we have just had an agent state that the new visa doesn't come in till next year, but, people currently applying for - including those who have already applied will be treated in the new rules and that if they are no longer eligible, they can withdraw their application and request a refund.
Ok, if I'm reading the official fact sheet correctly...

From NOW:
  • The CSOL list is named 'Short Term Occupation List', with far fewer occupations
  • The SOL list is named 'Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List'
  • You must be on the new Short-Term Occupation List to qualify for 457 at all
  • If your occupation is only on the STOL, you now only get a 2 year 457 visa (Unclear if there will be other restrictions applied to this)
  • If your occupation is also on the MLTSSL, you will be issued a 4 year visa (Equivalent of the current 457 visa, I presume)

From 1st July
  • The STOL may be reviewed again, so we may see more occupations removed.
  • The current exemption to complete an English Language Test for those earning above a threshold is removed - I presume that those who have UK/US etc passports continue to be exempt (for now)
  • Introduction of mandatory police checks for all applications

By December 2017
  • They will start checking tax records to ensure all employee sponsored visas (past & present) are paying above the threshold

From Match 2018
  • The 457 visa is abolished, and the TSS visa is introduced, with a 2-year short-term & 4-year medium-term track
  • A requirement of an IELTS score of 5, with a minimum of 4.5 in each test component for short-term, min of 5 per component for medium-term
  • Short Term can only be renewed once, and there isn't a path to PR
  • Medium Term can lead to PR

What I'm unsure about, is if a 2-year 457 visa is issued now, does the 'no PR route' apply, or does that only apply to those who apply for the new TSS visa next year?

And will they automatically give you the 4-year visa if you've already applied and are on the medium-term list, or would you have to 'request' this?

For me, my occupation is on both lists, and hoping they've completed it before July, so hope to still get a 4-year with PR option at the end - but we'll see what (if anything) the agency come back with!

Last edited by extrobe; Apr 18th 2017 at 10:51 am.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

extrobe is an unknown quantity at this point

There are quite a few changes for those thinking about the 186/187 visa route as well.

Detail Here
Old Apr 20th 2017, 3:17 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, when the news first broke, there was panic that the 457 was immediately suspended, but once the dust settled it became clear that it is continuing, albeit in a restricted form, until its eventual replacement in March 2018.

Regards,

Richard
Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:04 pm
Sydney bound

davoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nice

This is a big blow for me.

Whilst I always knew 457 didn't guarantee PR, it at least offered a chance.

Seems my occupation is now only on the STSOL.

Will wait to see how the next year unfolds, but suspect it may have ended hopes of a second spell in Aus and the chance to settle there.