Breaking News - 457 visa being abolished

Old Apr 18th 2017, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking News - 457 visa being abolished

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If your friend is able to, can (s)he put in a PR application now, or do they need employer sponsorship?

We have an older engineer at work, who's only hope is to be sponsored at the end of the 4 years of his 457. He's only been here a year, so still has 3 to go. He has no other pathway, other than employer sponsorship at the end due to age, so any changes could have an impact on him and his family.
My colleague is in the same boat. I suspect it will roll over for him. For us to replace him with a local or even younger person from off shore is virtually impossible. He's got 40 years experience and the knowledge you just can't find.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
My colleague is in the same boat. I suspect it will roll over for him. For us to replace him with a local or even younger person from off shore is virtually impossible. He's got 40 years experience and the knowledge you just can't find.
Many 457 holders are not as skilled I fear.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 5:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Abolition and replacement of the 457 visa – Government reforms to employer sponsored skilled migration visas
Old Apr 18th 2017, 5:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

• capacity for only one onshore visa renewal under the Short-Term stream
  • capacity for visa renewal onshore and a permanent residence pathway after three years under the Medium-Term stream
  • the permanent residence eligibility period will be extended from two to three years
That sounds different to what's been reported. The 'medium' stream is the 4 year for a limited number of higher skilled - so that still seems to have PR capability.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 6:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If your friend is able to, can (s)he put in a PR application now, or do they need employer sponsorship?

We have an older engineer at work, who's only hope is to be sponsored at the end of the 4 years of his 457. He's only been here a year, so still has 3 to go. He has no other pathway, other than employer sponsorship at the end due to age, so any changes could have an impact on him and his family.
There are going to be a lot of people in that boat, hanging out for the sponsorship to PR.
Pretty drastic change I must say, biggest visa upheaval since Skill Select came in.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 6:42 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Not so far, but see my edit. No route to residency ....
From what i read there is a route to PR but only for the 4 year temp visa but no longer for the 2 year one.

With age exemptions still applicable for some professions
Old Apr 18th 2017, 6:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

ABC report suggests that existing 457 will still be able to apply for PR at the end of 4 years. Probably treated same as these 'medium' visa types.

457 visa changes: What you need to know

So your work colleague should be OK, provided they keep the job and thus the visa.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 6:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Here's the list of jobs being taken off the 457 list

Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

extrobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, not the news I wanted to wake up to!

It seems my occupation has at least survived (Systems Analyst).

Is there any word yet on what happens with those who've kicked off the process already / when these changes take effect (if not immediately)?

Assuming I need to follow the new route, would seem the 4-year option is the no-brainer here.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:45 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by extrobe
Wow, not the news I wanted to wake up to!

It seems my occupation has at least survived (Systems Analyst).

Is there any word yet on what happens with those who've kicked off the process already / when these changes take effect (if not immediately)?

Assuming I need to follow the new route, would seem the 4-year option is the no-brainer here.
If you have a 457 it appears you can keep it, and with it the route to PR.

If you are in the process, thing might get more complex, but would probably await the actual law being passed before anything significant happened.

If you look at the list Pollyana referenced, it appears Systems Analyst is on the medium list - so still with a route to PR. That's not to say that other aspects might change (age being one I think).
Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GarryP
If you are in the process, thing might get more complex, but would probably await the actual law being passed before anything significant happened.

If you look at the list Pollyana referenced, it appears Systems Analyst is on the medium list - so still with a route to PR. That's not to say that other aspects might change (age being one I think).
Yes, we're in the process - though not that far into it, I don't think - need to check.

I was looking through the list Pollyana posted - and given it still mentions the 457 visa, my 'assumption' (though acknowledge it's far from being fact!), is that the new rules will come into play at a to-be-announced point in the future. My hope therefore being that the existing 457 will continue to be issued as normal in the meantime.

Though if that's the case, I'd expect a surge in applications, and therefore a delay in it getting processed.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Rather ironically, the average processing time for 457 visa is down from 86 days (75% of applications) to 51 days!

Global visa and citizenship processing times

But, that's good news, as may mean our application is further processed than I first thought.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

ok...
maybe this is a non-issue (for myself, anyone currently in the process, and those just about to begin the process)

according this announcement, the changes don't come into effect until 2018.

On 18 April 2017, the Government announced that the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457 visa) will be abolished and replaced with the completely new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa in March 2018.
Edit: Although the new visa is 2018, the culling of occupations looks to be effective immediately (which lines up to the list Polyana posted)

Significantly condensing the occupation lists used for skilled migration visas, including the subclass 457 visa, from 19 April 2017.

Last edited by extrobe; Apr 18th 2017 at 8:39 am. Reason: Further Info
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by extrobe
ok...
maybe this is a non-issue (for myself, anyone currently in the process, and those just about to begin the process)

according this announcement, the changes don't come into effect until 2018.

Edit: Although the new visa is 2018, the culling of occupations looks to be effective immediately (which lines up to the list Polyana posted)
On another forum, we have just had an agent state that the new visa doesn't come in till next year, but, people currently applying for - including those who have already applied will be treated in the new rules and that if they are no longer eligible, they can withdraw their application and request a refund.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
On another forum, we have just had an agent state that the new visa doesn't come in till next year, but, people currently applying for - including those who have already applied will be treated in the new rules and that if they are no longer eligible, they can withdraw their application and request a refund.
Ouch, could be a turbulent few months then. Oh boy!

Edit: Although, I wonder if that relates to the occupation list, rather than the visa itself? That's what seems to be suggested elsewhere, but without a firm source of info.

Last edited by extrobe; Apr 18th 2017 at 9:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.