Beer and hard liquor

Old Mar 7th 2002, 5:35 am
Dick Adams

Default Beer and hard liquor

Here in the States, it is absolutely legal to brew beer, ale, stout, et al for
personal consumption. Hard liquor requires a license even for personal consumption.
High quality corn liquor is as good as 21 year old Scotch.

Question: What are the brewing and distilling laws in OZ when it comes to personal
consumption.

Dick

Old Mar 7th 2002, 9:05 pm
lee

Default Re: Beer and hard liquor

Some of the best beer home brw kits come from OZ. I live in South Africa and use a
few that come from there. Cant comment on hard tack! "Dick Adams"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Here in the States, it is absolutely legal to brew beer, ale, stout, et al for
    > personal consumption. Hard liquor requires a license even for personal consumption.
    > High quality corn liquor is as good as 21 year old Scotch.
    >
    > Question: What are the brewing and distilling laws in OZ when it comes to personal
    > consumption.
    >
    > Dick

Old Mar 8th 2002, 6:35 am
Gary Myers

I've started the homebrew lark. There's a great homebrew shop about 15 minutes away
from me (though I didn't move here just for that!) and they do hard liquor stuff as
well. They've got another couple of shops and so freight stuff as well. They were
very helpful to me.

Their website is : http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/

--

Gary Myers [email protected] Mobile : 0403 94 36 10 Alison Myers
[email protected] Mobile : 0416 34 55 83

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Some of the best beer home brw kits come from OZ. I live in South Africa and use a
    > few that come from there. Cant comment on hard tack! "Dick Adams"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Here in the States, it is absolutely legal to brew beer, ale, stout, et al for
    > > personal consumption. Hard liquor requires a license even for personal
    > > consumption. High quality corn liquor is as good as 21 year old Scotch.
    > >
    > > Question: What are the brewing and distilling laws in OZ when it comes to
    > > personal consumption.
    > >
    > > Dick

Old Mar 8th 2002, 8:36 pm
Helena

"Dick Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Here in the States, it is absolutely legal to brew beer, ale, stout, et al for
    > personal consumption. Hard liquor requires a license even for personal consumption.
    > High quality corn liquor is as good as 21 year old Scotch.
    >
    > Question: What are the brewing and distilling laws in OZ when it comes to personal
    > consumption.
    >
    > Dick

Whether this is the law or not, general consensus here is that you can make your own
for personal consumption but not sell it. With all the Aussies of European
background, there's a whole lot of home-made wine being made, as well as grappa,
sljivovic, etc. And none of them are concerned about whether it's legal or not, or
care. It's a cultural thing. It was the same in Canada. I know people who brew their
own beer as well. About the distilling of hard liquor - my dad makes his own grappa
and told me you can't buy a small home distilling unit (he lives in Victoria), so
like everyone, he just bought all the bits and pieces at the hardware shop and made
his own. So I don't know if that's an indication that home-distilling is illegal or
what. Perhaps most people just make their own setups and there's not a demand for
selling the units, who knows. You can buy home-made stuff, if you know people, wink
wink, but you're not supposed to broadcast
it.

Good luck,

Helena