Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Asking for instrument related to Competent English

Asking for instrument related to Competent English

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Asking for instrument related to Competent English

In the Com Law of Australia, there is a paragraph describe Competent English

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...l1.htm#param29

1.15C Competent English

If a person applies for a General Skilled Migration visa, the person has competent English if the person satisfies the Minister that the person:
(a) has achieved, in a test conducted not more than 2 years before the day on which the application was lodged:
(i) an IELTS test score of at least 6 for each of the 4 test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening; or
(ii) a score:
(A) specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing for this sub-subparagraph; and
(B) in a language test specified by the Minister in the instrument; or
(b) holds a passport of a type specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing for this paragraph

However, I want to know more about the sentence (b)'s instrument, do you know where is the instrument details?

http://www.frli.gov.au/
Here is the Instrument website, however I can't search any details about sentence (b), thank you!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asking for instrument related to Competent English

Probably a Gazette Notice:
http://www.immi.gov.au/legislation/gazettals/index.htm
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Thank you, however I can't find such information......
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immigrants
Thank you, however I can't find such information......
There are clear instructions on that page for you to follow. If you still are confused then you need professional assistance.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
There are clear instructions on that page for you to follow. If you still are confused then you need professional assistance.
I mean I can't find Minister Instrument related to exempted passport details about Competent English
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:58 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

I mean I can't find Minister Instrument related to exempted passport details about Competent English
I think I posted a link to the instrument in a previous thread you opened. Your "passport" is not on it. Give it up and take the test, this must be at least the 5th thread on the exact same subject.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex_exile
I think I posted a link to the instrument in a previous thread you opened. Your "passport" is not on it. Give it up and take the test, this must be at least the 5th thread on the exact same subject.
You mean PAMS handbook? In fact that I don't know what is this

In my memory, your link not exactly claim that BN(O)/BOC need to attend IELTS, so I want to see the original text

I'd found out a document named ENGLISH LANGUAGE TESTS AND LEVEL OF ENGLISH ABILITY FOR GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legi...F?OpenDocument

It really not mention what kind of UK passport exempted. In the spirit of law, none of exclusion mentioned, that mean all included. According to the law, BN(O) and BOC can exempt IELTS and I don't think any other place can override it, what do you think?

Last edited by immigrants; Apr 23rd 2008 at 6:44 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Stuey26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just take the IELTS test???

Or do you not have competent English?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:54 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

You mean PAMS handbook? In fact that I don't know what is this

In my memory, your link not exactly claim that BN(O)/BOC need to attend IELTS, so I want to see the original text

I'd found out a document named ENGLISH LANGUAGE TESTS AND LEVEL OF ENGLISH ABILITY FOR GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legi...F?OpenDocument

It really not mention what kind of UK passport exempted. In the spirit of law, none of exclusion mentioned, that mean all included. According to the law, BN(O) and BOC can exempt IELTS and I don't think any other place can override it, what do you think?
Yes, but didnt you enter your BN(O) passport when applying online and not get credited with the points? I guess it goes to the definition of passport and if they are implying citizenship rights which BN(O) does not grant, the answers you seek are not in that document.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Yes, but didnt you enter your BN(O) passport when applying online and not get credited with the points? I guess it goes to the definition of passport and if they are implying citizenship rights which BN(O) does not grant, the answers you seek are not in that document.
Too bad, do you have the exact wordings of document about it?
And that mean the definition of "UK passport" is unclear!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stuey26
Why not just take the IELTS test???

Or do you not have competent English?
Yes, I don't have competent English
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Well maybe this is harsh but surely the whole point of the IELTS etc is to make sure everyone has competent English and if you don't have then you don't get in.

If anyone could get in surely it wouldn't be the place it is?

I'd guess you have to work on English and sit test as my understanding was that only British Citizens has some exemptions even then they could ask to sit IELTS.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Well maybe this is harsh but surely the whole point of the IELTS etc is to make sure everyone has competent English and if you don't have then you don't get in.

I'd guess you have to work on English and sit test as my understanding was that only British Citizens has some exemptions even then they could ask to sit IELTS.
In common sense, I think you are right.

But I'm trying to find out the text in law how to define what is "UK passport"

Finally, I want to ask, why UK make the nationality very complex?????
If UK just one kind of passport, it's much more easier to elaborate!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Do you live in the UK?

Were you born in UK?

Have you ever lived in UK?

Passports are issued by many countries with different categories, in UK there is large amount of ex commonwealth who aren't entitled to citizenship.

We only bypassed IELTS by educational qualifications a degrees from UK universities not by nature of our passport. Despite being UK born, bred and like long citizen.

My understanding was that by passing IELTS was always discretionary even if you meet criteria.

Basically it seems as if you are fighting a loosing battle, you don't have the English skills and you can't use English competently therefore you do not fall into a skills shortage therefore you can't move to Oz.

I suggest you need to work on English or look to move elsewhere.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

In fact, it's not just UK who are exempt. It's UK, USA, Canada, Republic of Ireland and New Zealand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.