British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   April 2008 Applicants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/april-2008-applicants-529427/)

tiger222 Sep 20th 2008 12:13 pm

Re: April 2008 Applicants

Originally Posted by geelong (Post 6802728)
We had a shock at 11.30 the other night. We checked our flight detail online and found cancelled next to it. We hot footed it to the travel agents the next morning and eventually got it sorted. But the stress reminded us of the stress of waiting... and on top of that the cat goes to our friends tomorrow, the container comes on Monday and lots of sad farewells over the next few days.

Thanks for listening to my whinge. Hey, I've turned into a whinging pom! :rofl:

Geelong -

I wouldn't call it whinge with what you've gone through and have before you! What a scare to see the flights were canceled. What happened? Did they cancel that flight because not enough reservations? Scary!

Lots of tough days then you're off! Write a post on what it's like on the other side!:thumbsup:

tiger222 Sep 20th 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by T-bird (Post 6802471)
I wanted to share with you a very cool feeling! We got our passports back yesterday with our visas in! It was cool getting the email from the case officer, but the visa in the passport with the words 'permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely' makes it very real. Even my husband is excited now!

So, peckers up, everyone who is still waiting. It will be you soon!

It sounds really cool!! AMAZINGLY COOL!!! :thumbsup:

What are your plans Tbird? When do you leave?

tiger222 Sep 20th 2008 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by benlast (Post 6802561)
Agreed! I did find it quite moving to see the actual visa stickers; like the culmination of the whole process that started way back last year. And now we're flying in five weeks... every morning I wake up convinced I've forgotten a Key Important Thing To Do Before We Go :(

:rofl:Ben - that will be me! :rofl:

Cheers
b

5 weeks!!! :eek: Totally exciting!! :thumbsup:

T-bird Sep 20th 2008 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by tiger222 (Post 6802999)

Not for ages... Recce trip in late March, then back for a couple of weddings and sort everything out. Leave proper on 28 July, travel through Central and South America and NZ, then arrive in Sydney in late September 2009.

So, a year, in fact, until we get there. But I'm sure it will be gone in a flash.

What's your latest thinking about when to go?

tiger222 Sep 20th 2008 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by T-bird (Post 6803368)
Not for ages... Recce trip in late March, then back for a couple of weddings and sort everything out. Leave proper on 28 July, travel through Central and South America and NZ, then arrive in Sydney in late September 2009.

So, a year, in fact, until we get there. But I'm sure it will be gone in a flash.

What's your latest thinking about when to go?

We are hoping for NOVEMBER 2008!!! :thumbsup:

We need a CO to pick up our case soon!!! FINGERS CROSSED!! :thumbsup:

5 of the 6 MEDS are in. The 6th is being sent next week. PCCs are ordered - probably here next week.

We have 2 possible renters looking at the house next week. Have been cleaning and purging today. More to do tomorrow.

We're ready for VISA and then FLY OUT! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

snoo Sep 20th 2008 5:48 pm

What do you guys make of this??? :ohmy:(I hope Jo doesn't mind me quoting her post!)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have chased my agent this week as we applied for a 176 state sponsored visa in February (paperbased) and this is the response I received:-

"In relation to online applications/paper applications – those lodged between August 2007 and March/April 2008 are generally going through the system at around the same timespan.

However in order to improve their published processing times, DIAC have started to push through e-lodged cases, lodged from May 2008 – in essence cases e-lodged at this time and after, are effectively jumping the queue thanks to DIAC’s method of processing. It isn’t fair or correct but that is the way they have decided to proceed."

I look forward to your comments.

Jo xx

Fly Away Sep 20th 2008 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by snoo (Post 6803711)
What do you guys make of this??? :ohmy:(I hope Jo doesn't mind me quoting her post!)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have chased my agent this week as we applied for a 176 state sponsored visa in February (paperbased) and this is the response I received:-

"In relation to online applications/paper applications – those lodged between August 2007 and March/April 2008 are generally going through the system at around the same timespan.

However in order to improve their published processing times, DIAC have started to push through e-lodged cases, lodged from May 2008 – in essence cases e-lodged at this time and after, are effectively jumping the queue thanks to DIAC’s method of processing. It isn’t fair or correct but that is the way they have decided to proceed."

I look forward to your comments.

Jo xx

It could well be true! In a Government department, performance indicators are everything. If it is true, it's disgusting and every single person should fill in the complaint form as soon as they get to 7 months to avoid being ignored.

sharkiebites Sep 21st 2008 9:00 am

Originally Posted by tiger222 (Post 6802999)

to all those waiting im sorry .
But the wait is worth waiting ,settled in love never regretted and its bloody 31 C and its spring
fingers crossed to all
chris:thumbsup::thumbup:

tiger222 Sep 21st 2008 9:23 am

Originally Posted by sharkiebites (Post 6805254)
to all those waiting im sorry .
But the wait is worth waiting ,settled in love never regretted and its bloody 31 C and its spring
fingers crossed to all
chris:thumbsup::thumbup:

Sharkie -

Thanks for that bit of encouragement! I'm glad you're loving it!! :thumbsup:

How about an update? Have you found a job?

tiger222 Sep 21st 2008 10:30 am

Do you all want a good laugh?!

My MIL wrote this to me today::rofl:

I talked to a woman in the post office who told me that Australia makes you give them $40,000, which they keep in case they have to send you home. Have you heard anything about this?:rofl:

benlast Sep 21st 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by tiger222 (Post 6805409)
Do you all want a good laugh?!

My MIL wrote this to me today::rofl:

I talked to a woman in the post office who told me that Australia makes you give them $40,000, which they keep in case they have to send you home. Have you heard anything about this?:rofl:

You should answer "yes, that's right, or you can work as an indentured servant for seven to ten years, after which you've earned your freedom and you get given a hat, a plot of scrubland, a dingo and ten sheep to start a station".

Cheers
b

Dodge38 Sep 21st 2008 7:03 pm

Hi Folks the wife and I have not touched the ground since getting our CO. We have collected 4 years of bank statements - having to get backdated ones ordered from the bank, numerous extra references and have worked full-time on our application since we heard we had a CO. I reckon 4 more days of scanning and sending and then wait again - not sure if we will get the last box ticked, but REALLY hoping!!! We "MET" everything except 'Specific work experience' - so have been doing our best to get that "met"!!!

Have had a really good look at all the posts on here recently and would like to say "well done" to all those who have managed to secure their visas straight off, "good luck" to those people who are collecting extra stuff too & "Hang in there" to all the people who have not heard yet!!

Dodge and family x

vickiejaynem Sep 21st 2008 7:55 pm

hi sorry to jump boards but just asking did eveyone who heard so far apply online?We did it the paper based why lodged 1st July and just wonndering ealisstically how much longer paper based ones taking.many thanks .good luck to all

TinaandChris Sep 21st 2008 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge38 (Post 6806520)
Hi Folks the wife and I have not touched the ground since getting our CO. We have collected 4 years of bank statements - having to get backdated ones ordered from the bank, numerous extra references and have worked full-time on our application since we heard we had a CO. I reckon 4 more days of scanning and sending and then wait again - not sure if we will get the last box ticked, but REALLY hoping!!! We "MET" everything except 'Specific work experience' - so have been doing our best to get that "met"!!!

Have had a really good look at all the posts on here recently and would like to say "well done" to all those who have managed to secure their visas straight off, "good luck" to those people who are collecting extra stuff too & "Hang in there" to all the people who have not heard yet!!

Dodge and family x

Hi Dodge'

Do they really ask for all that information??
We'd be there for ever as sometimes have had weekly statements!!
And what specific work experience do they want to know about? My OH is a chippy, and we just got an employers reference and supplied copies of qualification certs....
My page still shows as required! but was received!

All the best

geelong Sep 21st 2008 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by tiger222 (Post 6802993)
Geelong -

I wouldn't call it whinge with what you've gone through and have before you! What a scare to see the flights were canceled. What happened? Did they cancel that flight because not enough reservations? Scary!

Lots of tough days then you're off! Write a post on what it's like on the other side!:thumbsup:

The airline had changed the booking reservation number and the travel agent was unaware and had missed some sort of dead line, but they managed to sort it and pre-booked our seats for both legs. So it's ok now.

Don't worry, we will let you know what Melbourne and Geelong are like when we get there, hopefully it will be your turn very soon. :thumbsup: