Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Defacto Visa - can it be done inside Australia on an ETA?

Applying for Defacto Visa - can it be done inside Australia on an ETA?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

iampivot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Defacto Visa - can it be done inside Australia on an ETA?

I've lived with my Australian girlfriend for 22 months now in the UK, now we're going to try to get a de-facto visa to Australia. We were there for a few months over x-mas with her family and she stayed starting in a new job while I went back to the UK to move out of our flat and to get all our stuff shipped over.

Can I apply for a visa inside Australia after travelling in on an ETA? Or do I need to (or is it advisable) that I apply from the UK and wait to get it granted?

All the webpages I've seen seems to indicate it's possible to apply from within if you have a substantive visa, but I've been unable to find out if an ETA is a substantive visa.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Defacto Visa - can it be done inside Australia on an ETA?

Originally Posted by iampivot
I've lived with my Australian girlfriend for 22 months now in the UK, now we're going to try to get a de-facto visa to Australia. We were there for a few months over x-mas with her family and she stayed starting in a new job while I went back to the UK to move out of our flat and to get all our stuff shipped over.

Can I apply for a visa inside Australia after travelling in on an ETA? Or do I need to (or is it advisable) that I apply from the UK and wait to get it granted?

All the webpages I've seen seems to indicate it's possible to apply from within if you have a substantive visa, but I've been unable to find out if an ETA is a substantive visa.
Yes you can apply from inside Australia, but it isn't recommended. They would prefer it if you applied before you went - its certainly quicker that way, and I think its still cheaper.
However, if you move all your worldly goods to Australia on an ETA, or you tell Immigration that you plan tp apply for de facto once you are here, you risk being sent back and denied entry.

De facto visas are very quick through London, sometimes less than a week.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Applying for Defacto Visa - can it be done inside Australia on an ETA?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
De facto visas are very quick through London, sometimes less than a week.
Even if my girlfriend is already in Australia? We wouldn't be able to do a combined interview.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Even if my girlfriend is already in Australia? We wouldn't be able to do a combined interview.
Once again. If you're living in the U.K. you are expected to get the right visa before you leave. They don't always do combined interviews.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again. If you're living in the U.K. you are expected to get the right visa before you leave. They don't always do combined interviews.
Thank you for the information. Would you happen to know the average / expected cost to use a visa bureau to get a de-facto visa?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the information. Would you happen to know the average / expected cost to use a visa bureau to get a de-facto visa?
Take a look at the fees section on Ian Harrop's website. He is a good choice if you want to use an agent in the U.K.
http://www.ianharrop.co.uk