student visas

Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:06 am
Just Joined

susan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant future
Default student visas

hi new to this site could anyone give me the info on the graduate student visas
as any one done it yet and completed and gained PR. I am studying hairdressing in melbourne and would like as much info as poss . do you start yur 900 hrs before you have completed level 111 will this count as your work experience
how can you record the eviedence of your haircuts colours etc. if you are still only a trainee and not quailified??????? very confused about all this any help would be great thanks susan
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:17 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: student visas

Originally Posted by susan13
hi new to this site could anyone give me the info on the graduate student visas
as any one done it yet and completed and gained PR. I am studying hairdressing in melbourne and would like as much info as poss . do you start yur 900 hrs before you have completed level 111 will this count as your work experience
how can you record the eviedence of your haircuts colours etc. if you are still only a trainee and not quailified??????? very confused about all this any help would be great thanks susan
I don't mean to sound harsh, but you REALLY should know your plan before you enter Australia! ... not be asking questions about who, why or what now!

Sorry, but study to PR is as risky as it gets and not knowing EXACTLY what you're doing is a recipe if you ask me.

Anyway,

The Graduate visa commenced on the 1st of Sept 2007 and you need a years work experience over 18 months, so I don't think you'll be seeing any till Sept 2008, let alone the fact that onshore PR applications are taking over 6 months to process!

Gonna be a while yet!

The 900 hours is to satisfy the TRA, not to be confused with the years work experience for DIAC. Your school should give you documented evidence that you have covered this if it's part of your course, mine did. if it's not, then your years work experience will keep the TRA happy.

Anything you do now will not count towards the years work experience because currently you are simply not qualified. This HAS to be qualified work experience gained after you have your Cert III.

Hope that helps ...

Oh and welcome!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:10 am
Just Joined

susan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant futuresusan13 has a brilliant future

hi thanks for the message and answer back to my queries.
have you started your graduate visa and are you working in a hairdressers to gain your 12 months work experience???
I do have a plan while studying in melbourne but you here that many stories
from the people who are supposed to know . Only yesterday an immi agent came to college and told us it would not be advisable to study Hair and beauty as they are not related careers , but the college are happy to take your money as they are only providing a service. So some girls will now have to change their plans , plans have to change as their are finding out along the way. The will now carry on hairdressing to level 4 and do the Salon managment so hopefully will have a better chance of PR

I am planning on studying my 900 hrs along side my course but did not want these hours not to count until after the level 111 . i know i have along way to go but at least i am here enjoying melbourne and all what Australia has to offer for my family i feel like one of the lucky ones.......
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:17 am
Just Joined

have you started your graduate visa and are you working in a hairdressers to gain your 12 months work experience???
from the people who are supposed to know . Only yesterday an immi agent came to college and told us it would not be advisable to study Hair and beauty as they are not related careers , but the college are happy to take your money as they are only providing a service. So some girls will now have to change their plans , plans have to change as their are finding out along the way. The will now carry on hairdressing to level 4 and do the Salon managment so hopefully will have a better chance of PR

I am planning on studying my 900 hrs along side my course but did not want these hours not to count until after the level 111 . i know i have along way to go but at least i am here enjoying melbourne and all what Australia has to offer for my family i feel like one of the lucky ones.......
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by susan13

Hi Susan,

No I am pre Sept 1 so have applied for PR. it's been over 6 months now and driving us mad with it's restrictions still in place, but one day eh!

Because I'm pre Sept 1 I'm not too familiar with all the new rules as not relevant, but I posted a lot in here and researched as much as I could on various other forums and websites to try my best to keep up with it all. That's all I can recommend really.

You're gonna have to get 12 months work experience so I'd leave it till you've got your Cert III for the 900 so you know it DEF counts. Obv up to you tho!

Have a read through this thread. It's long, and you might want to jump a load of pages to more current postings, but there's many there in the same boat as you ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481211

Best of luck to you! ...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Susan,

Any hours that you do whilst studying can count towards your TRA,

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...I-900hours.htm

cause you only need to do the years work experience if you need to get your points up i.e. 120 to apply for skilled PR.

If at the end of your course you have enough points (check this out on immigration site for your circumstances) you can apply at end of the course.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandyp
If at the end of your course you have enough points (check this out on immigration site for your circumstances) you can apply at end of the course.

Cheers
Mandy
Agreed! ... IF you're 29 and under, and obtain a 'proficient' score in the IELTS test.

Example.

Skills - 60

Age - 30

IELTS - 25

Aussie Qualification - 5

= 120 ... ta da! ...

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm

Over 29 and you'll be looking for MODL points and I think I'm right in saying you can't get them without the years work experience.

Sooooo, if you're under 29 and think you can get 'proficient' in an English language test (not as easy as it sounds from what I hear) then get cracking away with them 900 hours! ...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Agreed! ... IF you're 29 and under, and obtain a 'proficient' score in the IELTS test.

Example.

Skills - 60

Age - 30

IELTS - 25

Aussie Qualification - 5

= 120 ... ta da! ...

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm

Over 29 and you'll be looking for MODL points and I think I'm right in saying you can't get them without the years work experience.

Sooooo, if you're under 29 and think you can get 'proficient' in an English language test (not as easy as it sounds from what I hear) then get cracking away with them 900 hours! ...

My husband will be 31 when he completes his course (typical!) But we have an immediate family member to sponser us for extra points so will also not need the graduate visa. Unless anything changes before then!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by werty1
My husband will be 31 when he completes his course (typical!) But we have an immediate family member to sponser us for extra points so will also not need the graduate visa. Unless anything changes before then!
Don't quote me, but don't you only need 100 points with family sponsorship?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I will be 30 when I finish, but as I am studying in 'rural' Oz will not need to do the year either (as long as I do the English exam), so it really does pay to work it out on each persons individual case.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

There are several visas with a pass mark of 100 points, I suppose it all depends on what works out best for the individual, a total bonus for those who have family to sponsor them though!! I expect most students would be able to get at least 100 points at the end of their course, so it's just weighing up all the pros n cons. If hubbie continues with the course, he can potentially get a max of 115 points. We have a plan A, B, C,. . . . . so we'll just wait n see how things go!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

I am also in a regional area if that helps!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as long as the immigration count it as regional then you get an extra 5 points.
If you go through that counter thing and click on regional study it will tell you where counts as regional.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Yep, as long as the immigration count it as regional then you get an extra 5 points.
If you go through that counter thing and click on regional study it will tell you where counts as regional.
Yippie its def a regional area!
Hows everything going with you pumpkin? Have you found related work?