Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Any nurses sitting or sat IELTS for skills assessment?

Any nurses sitting or sat IELTS for skills assessment?

Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

prissy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any nurses sitting or sat IELTS for skills assessment?

Originally Posted by prissy
hi all, am just about to send my application form and am confused about question 18 which asks whether I want to take my CB IELTS writing test on paper. If someone is taking a computer test, is it OK to take writing test on paper? How did those who sat it get on? Many thanks.
P.
Someone please let me know the answer to my ? Am a tad bit confused on this one.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:30 am
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Thankyou for replying. It is in edinburgh and they do computer one. Am a bit confused about the question. Well done for your score. Did you do the computer one? Writting?
Hello again,
I have had no expereince of the computer test, and don't know anyone who took one.
From my experience of IELTS, the practice test online were key, as the hardest part about IELTS for me, was the format and style of the questions, rather than the academic content. Once you had got your head around the way the questions were pitched, then it felt a lot easier - I suppose you need to consider what opportunities you will have for practicing prior to the exam, if you opt for the computerised test? If there are equally as many practice papers avavilable, then it will purely to choice on what you prefer!
All the best!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

fictionalsummer will become famous soon enough

Someone please let me know the answer to my ? Am a tad bit confused on this one.
Hi there,
If I remember when I filled out my application I only ticked 'pen and paper' test. I think what the question is asking if you are opting for the computer based test are you doing the 'writing' part of the test on paper. The test is split into 4 parts reading, writing, listening and speaking.

Like I said I just opted for the paper based test and sat it at Bristol uni.

Definitely worth revising for it though, just to get your head around where they're coming from with the questions.

Hope that helps, any other questions then just ask and if I cant help I'm sure theres folk on here who can
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Nikko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rahrah
Hi Nick
How goes it? Have you got the test booked yet? Practice going ok - sure all will be fine - All the best
Book arrived today, i had a quick look through (that was enough for now). Partner is on a late so she will havw a quick look when she gets in.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

prissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fictionalsummer
Hi there,
If I remember when I filled out my application I only ticked 'pen and paper' test. I think what the question is asking if you are opting for the computer based test are you doing the 'writing' part of the test on paper. The test is split into 4 parts reading, writing, listening and speaking.

Like I said I just opted for the paper based test and sat it at Bristol uni.

Definitely worth revising for it though, just to get your head around where they're coming from with the questions.

Hope that helps, any other questions then just ask and if I cant help I'm sure theres folk on here who can
Thankyou very much. that was helpful.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice

I have completed 3 years at UNI and am now working full time as a qualified nurse on a busy emergency unit at my local hospital.

I am about to sit the IELTS test for the 3rd time!!

Last result was

9.5, 9, 8.5 and a 6 in the reading! I seem to panic as soon as I see the reading passages and would love to know if anyone else is feeling the stress like me!

I am going to try again on Jan 23rd at Bath University.

I have ordered the Peter May study guide in the hope it may help, however, I have a feeling its a case of luck on the day.

Please any reassurance would be gratefully received.

Ruth
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:27 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ruthnurse
I have completed 3 years at UNI and am now working full time as a qualified nurse on a busy emergency unit at my local hospital.

I am about to sit the IELTS test for the 3rd time!!

Last result was

9.5, 9, 8.5 and a 6 in the reading! I seem to panic as soon as I see the reading passages and would love to know if anyone else is feeling the stress like me!

I am going to try again on Jan 23rd at Bath University.

I have ordered the Peter May study guide in the hope it may help, however, I have a feeling its a case of luck on the day.

Please any reassurance would be gratefully received.

Ruth
Hi Ruth,
Sorry to hear that the REading is proving to be such a beggar!! IELTS is trickier than we expect, eh! I did all my practice online - found that getting feedback scores gave me an idea of what areas I needed to practice. Try this link: http://www.examenglish.com/IELTS/IELTS_reading_2.htm and hope this helps
All the best of Luck
Old Dec 31st 2009, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

danbradb1987 will become famous soon enoughdanbradb1987 will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: Any nurses sitting or sat IELTS for skills assessment?

hi ruth
sorry to here about the test i intially did it at general level for my visa, and failed it then i didnt need it as i as sponcered by WA, i had my visa and all ready to go when by chance i was at an emergrates day and they asked had i done the ilests, as i hadnt yet applied to WAMNC i have now got to sit the illets again, yes i failed acedemic level in november and i am about to take it again end of jan i got 7,5 5 6.5 and 9 and revised. yes academicaly i have a degree in biomedical sciences and a second degree as community specilist practitioner, gutted, but we have to keep going. i think its about the timing and i tried to not panic, but without this i have got my visa but cant work as a nurse. i thinks its all on the day my friend didnt revise didnt have a clue sat it first time and got three sevens and a nine.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 8:46 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danbradb1987
hi ruth
sorry to here about the test i intially did it at general level for my visa, and failed it then i didnt need it as i as sponcered by WA, i had my visa and all ready to go when by chance i was at an emergrates day and they asked had i done the ilests, as i hadnt yet applied to WAMNC i have now got to sit the illets again, yes i failed acedemic level in november and i am about to take it again end of jan i got 7,5 5 6.5 and 9 and revised. yes academicaly i have a degree in biomedical sciences and a second degree as community specilist practitioner, gutted, but we have to keep going. i think its about the timing and i tried to not panic, but without this i have got my visa but cant work as a nurse. i thinks its all on the day my friend didnt revise didnt have a clue sat it first time and got three sevens and a nine.
You MUST practice, sorry, even I did and I'm a teacher (poor me)

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Dec 31st 2009 at 8:48 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice

hi ruth
When and where are you going to resit? I have booked into Bath on Sat 23rd Jan? I have done lots of practice tests for the reading, sometimes I get 30/40 which is ok, but I am still worried about the test on the day.

Its like your driving test... you could take it hundreds of times and still not pass.. Its luck on the day..!

I am very stressed out about it, could do without it!

Ruth
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

danbradb1987 will become famous soon enoughdanbradb1987 will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Any nurses sitting or sat IELTS for skills assessment?

hi ruth i am sitting it in liverpool i did load of practice tests for the speaking, but didnt spend loads on the writing part and failed it! yes i agree it is like a driving test i have just started doing the some more revision lets hope!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Bless you... its awful and so frustrating..

You obviously did well on the reading! any advice!

The writing is tough too you just need to put as much information as you can, giving suggestions and arguments for and against and then summing like...

Try to think of it like an essay.

Introduction

Main

Conclusion.

Good Luck! Let me know you get on, are you sitting it on the 23rd Jan??

Ruth
Old Jun 5th 2010, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

hi all i have finaly passed ielts test with 8,7,8.5,9 cant believe it as i recieved the results the week before we flew out to perth, so we are now in perth day 3 ane every thing is still a blur
Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

hi all i have finaly passed ielts test with 8,7,8.5,9 cant believe it as i recieved the results the week before we flew out to perth, so we are now in perth day 3 ane every thing is still a blur
Hi ....

Well i sat it a couple of months ago and got 9, 9, 8 and a 6 in the reading!!!! any tips for the reading!!!

Your so lucky!! I hope I get it one day... I will NOT give up!

Congratulations and ENJOY!!

Ruth:
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

hi ruth yes i ended up contacting international school for non english people they basicly have people from over seas who need to sit the test and have 2-4 week lessons specificly for ielts i did 5 lessons cost 40 pound for 1.5hrs their is no guarentee but it did give me good tips as i had up to then completed 4 books and still couldnt pass. i also contacted the test centres leed was very good they offer tuiotion so ask at the ielts i passed on my 5th and i also passed on the 6th as i block booked 5 on the go which really did help as it kept me upto speed with the test procedure. good luck its cost me a fortune but i am in oz now as we speak

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.