Wikiposts

ANOTHER STUDENT VISA WE GOT IT!

Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:30 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice
Default Re: ANOTHER STUDENT VISA WE GOT IT!

Originally Posted by jdraper
I did pick it up quite easily and really enjoy it - apart from standing up all day!! It has taken me a while to pick up speeds though - can just about do a cut and blow dry in under an hour - depending on the cut. Glad I did it though and wish I had done it earlier in life.

We are going to Gold Coast (Paul is going to Gold Coast TAFE Ashmore Campus) and Andrew will hopefully be going to Benowa State High School. Paul's course starts July 2008 and so hopefully going mid June (after Andrew has done his GCSEs). When and where are you going?

Jo
x
Thats what I am dreading about it, standing up all day!! Still I am sure I will get used to it.

We are going to Brisbane, hopefully August this year to give us enough time to find somewhere to live and settle a bit before I start the course in October. We are looking at Northern Brisbane, I have family in Aspley, Nundah and Clayfield.

Sarah x
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sarahl322
Thats what I am dreading about it, standing up all day!! Still I am sure I will get used to it.

We are going to Brisbane, hopefully August this year to give us enough time to find somewhere to live and settle a bit before I start the course in October. We are looking at Northern Brisbane, I have family in Aspley, Nundah and Clayfield.

Sarah x
You will be fine standing up. Just make sure you get decent comfy shoes. I have been wearing very low pumps and my heels keep hurting me. Can't find anything with just a small heel though at the moment. Apparently the shoes in Oz aren't very good so check your uniform requirements. It will probably be covered toes and black if like here. So buy before you fly!!!

We have not been to Brisbane but want to go for a visit when we are living there. Hopefully we can meet up some time when we are all over there living it large!!!!

PS We have been to Brisbane airport and train station (briefly as we nearly missed our flight as the Airtrain was broken!!!)

Keep in touch. PM if you like.

Jo
x
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

sean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sean

I asked about this and it appears that you can drive for 3 months on your British DL and then have to apply for a Queensland (or other state) driving licence. You have to take a test, paper and driving, too. (I can't parallel park or reverse into a space - so driving lessons for me too!!!)

Hope this helps.

Jo
Hi Jo,
That sounds like fun retaking our driving tests!
Do you know much about how the OSHC works. I have been told that you register with a insurance company when you arrive and they give you your card etc. But this seems a bit vague as it would be nice to read some sort of policy documents, so you can see what you are covered for.
Does anybody else have any opinons on it.?
Thanks.
Sean..
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sean
Hi Jo,
That sounds like fun retaking our driving tests!
Do you know much about how the OSHC works. I have been told that you register with a insurance company when you arrive and they give you your card etc. But this seems a bit vague as it would be nice to read some sort of policy documents, so you can see what you are covered for.
Does anybody else have any opinons on it.?
Thanks.
Sean..
If you look on http://www.medibank.com.au/Index.asp this should tell you all about it.

If you have had a quote from your course provider, check that the cost includes all your family. We had a quote and it only covered Paul. The price was the same on this website though.

You could also look on the Medicare Australia www.medicareaustralia.gov.au website for any further information.

Jo, Paul & Andrew
x
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:59 am
ENS121

paulhomer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. My Partner and I are due to go to Gold Coast in January. I am starting a course at Ashmore Campus. We need accommodation suitable for a couple but, like most people, our budget is tight. Anybody got any suggestions?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:01 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice

You will be fine standing up. Just make sure you get decent comfy shoes. I have been wearing very low pumps and my heels keep hurting me. Can't find anything with just a small heel though at the moment. Apparently the shoes in Oz aren't very good so check your uniform requirements. It will probably be covered toes and black if like here. So buy before you fly!!!

We have not been to Brisbane but want to go for a visit when we are living there. Hopefully we can meet up some time when we are all over there living it large!!!!

PS We have been to Brisbane airport and train station (briefly as we nearly missed our flight as the Airtrain was broken!!!)

Keep in touch. PM if you like.

Jo
x

Shoes no good oh my god why am I moving!!!! Can't be without my shoes ha ha ha!!!

Yes defintely be up for meeting up. I will PM you.

Sarah x
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:01 am
Just Joined

wwoodee22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah, congrats you must be so excited!

We are considering the student visa option as it is about the only option left for us.
I understand that if I am the student my working options are limited, but what about my husband?
Also, once you have qualified in whatever it is you choose to study (hairdressing for you), do you still have to pay for your childrens schooling?

Regards

Michelle
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Your partner can only work 20 hours a week too.

Could someone who has got their visa already please tell me when you must have paid your health cover from? Is it the date the course starts, or when you get into Oz? I am hoping to spend 6 months in Oz before hand, but would have travel insurance to cover me, so I'm hoping from when the course starts.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

tichg1 is on a distinguished road

Hi all ,

i'm definatly up for a newbie meet up heading for murrumba downs near brisbane august time ready to start sept 24th!
Also got 2 children age 5 and 2.
Although have everything ready just have to book the flights now!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:56 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

Originally Posted by wwoodee22

We are considering the student visa option as it is about the only option left for us.
I understand that if I am the student my working options are limited, but what about my husband?
Also, once you have qualified in whatever it is you choose to study (hairdressing for you), do you still have to pay for your childrens schooling?

Regards

Michelle
Hi Michelle,

As I understand it and I may be wrong so if anyone else knows please add your comments, your husband is allowed to work 20 hours per week whilst you are studying. As for the schooling I am not sure you should have a look at the immi website www.immi.gov.au. Or do a search for schooling on this forum.

Cheers, Sarah x

Sarah
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Hi MIchelle
at the moment it's all in the air a bit because of these new regulations that are due in September that say you have to do 12-18mths experience after you finish your 2 yr course but what i do know is that once you have PR schooling is free.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wwoodee22

Regards

Michelle
Hi Michelle

On the student visa you can work for 20 hours a week (both of you) and in the holidays, you (as the visa holder) can work unlimited hours.

Once you have qualified, you can apply for your PR (there is another visa you can get in the meantime between your student visa and your PR visa). I think you can work full time on that one. Check on immi.gov.au for more information about that.

While you are at college, you will have to pay for school fees, but can't find anything about paying once you are qualified. Someone else here may be able to help.

For senior school children it is AUS$8000 per year (approx £3500). Don't know about juniors, infants etc. This is in Queensland where we are looking.

Hope this helps.

Jo, Paul & Andrew
x
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:03 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

Originally Posted by tichg1
Hi all ,

i'm definatly up for a newbie meet up heading for murrumba downs near brisbane august time ready to start sept 24th!
Also got 2 children age 5 and 2.
Although have everything ready just have to book the flights now!
Excellent, so why don't we all keep in touch and organise when we have all arrived. I am also heading out august time, my course starts October 5th. We have 1 daughter age 4 would be nice for her to meet some children her age.

Sarah x
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Your partner can only work 20 hours a week too.

Could someone who has got their visa already please tell me when you must have paid your health cover from? Is it the date the course starts, or when you get into Oz? I am hoping to spend 6 months in Oz before hand, but would have travel insurance to cover me, so I'm hoping from when the course starts.

Hi pumpkin,

you may have to email australia house in London with this question.

I have my visa and started my health insurance 2 weeks before my course starts but i havent booked flights yet and i didnt have to put on my appliction when i intend to arrive so i am thinking that aslong as it starts when you course starts this will be okay. I might be wrong but i'm sure someone will correct me if i am.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:17 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sean

I asked about this and it appears that you can drive for 3 months on your British DL and then have to apply for a Queensland (or other state) driving licence. You have to take a test, paper and driving, too. (I can't parallel park or reverse into a space - so driving lessons for me too!!!)

Hope this helps.

Jo
When we arrived we had to take a multiple choice test and show our UK driving licence before getting a Queensland Driving Licence but understand now that UK drivers just show their licence and complete an application form. Here's a link to the website which mentions you MAY have to take various other tests, but I believe that's just for Internationla Drivers who they believe don't have the same road rule knowledge as UK/AUS drivers.:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ional_drivers/

I still think it's worthwhile getting the How to Drive on OZ Roads book as there are some different signs and road rules from those in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.