AIM - Senior Manager Skills Form

Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:26 pm
Kuv
Just Joined

Kuv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AIM - Senior Manager Skills Form

Hello, been searching on this forum for a while but can't seem to find any answers.

I've just started researching the process for moving to Australia (Adelaide) and I was going to appoint an agent to help me out, which I may still do. However, I was looking into what would be required to pass the skills assessment and I fear now that there will be no way past it and my dream will be taken away from me!

I'm a Marketing Manager with 5 years experience. Looking at the CSOL list I can apply under the occupation of Sales and Marketing Manager. I have 3 direct reports, 2 execs and 1 assistant. I report in to the Department Head.

I work for a large public sector company but I'm not the most senior manager there which seems to be a requirement. it also says in the criteria list that your 3 direct reports should be managers and they in turn should manage someone who is a manager or skilled. This seems pretty strict but I guess if that's the way it there is nothing I can do.

I have a background in Business Development but that comes under a different list and the criteria for that is pretty strict too. I thought I had a pretty good CV until now, and I'm worried that time is passing by and I won't be able to fulfil my dream! Does anyone else have experience of this? Is there any way around any of this?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AIM - Senior Manager Skills Form

Unfortunately, I cannot see any flaws in your thinking. The AIM assessment is notoriously difficult to pass, I didn't realise the managing managers criteria was required for Sales Manager but indeed it is.

Have you looked for any other sales related roles on the lists? I just did but could not see anything, I might have missed though. If there is not, then I agree that skilled migration is looking unlikely for you at the moment.

Sometimes people that cannot pass a skills assessment, e.g. they don't have a degree but a degree is required, will look for an employer sponsor and then after two years ask the employer to sponsor for a permanent visa, thus circumventing the need for a skills assessment.

I don't present this as an easy option, but sometimes it is the only option. It comes with a lot of uncertainty and of course you have to find a sponsor in the first place. Does your current employer have a presence in Australia?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:29 pm
Kuv
Just Joined

Unfortunately not, they have offices all over Scotland but nowhere outside of that. I am really gutted. I'm going to try and stay positive though as I really want to move abroad for work so I will try somewhere else, gain more experience and will hopefully get there eventually. The disappointment is rife in me just now though
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let it get you down. I assume you are quite young with just five years work experience, so there is plenty of time for working abroad to happen for you. You obviously hadn't gone very far down the track of investigating Australia, so don't let disappointment get on top of you.

I always wanted to work abroad, the US was where I always wanted to go. I never made it there though and the desire for US has passed now (I am 43).

I always managed to do lots of international business travel from my late 20s and I first actually moved overseas (to Bermuda) when I was 36 and then I moved to Australia when I was 40.

You never know what is round the corner, but if you want to work abroad, my bet is that it will happen for you one day.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:54 pm
Kuv
Just Joined

Thanks Bermudashorts. You're right, I still have more to investigate before it's ruled out completely.

I have 5 years work experience in this job but 4 years in various marketing/BD roles before that so not feeling so young these days!

Very similar to you in that when I was in my early 20s I wanted to move to the US which didn't happen. That feeling disappeared I guess when I got my first proper job and travelled a fair bit.

I just celebrated my 35th birthday yesterday so roughly about the same age you were when you first moved so that's a good bit of motivation for me to keep at it!