Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

After a fair bit of research I'm still looking for some help!

After a fair bit of research I'm still looking for some help!

Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Jlapp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default After a fair bit of research I'm still looking for some help!

Wife and I have started thinking very seriously about moving to WA.

She has been a nurse in the UK for a number of years - and as well as having relatives in WA - we meet the hurdles that would enable us to to come over on a 175.

She has also noticed that a number of nursing agencies are offering sponsorship - subject to registration - on a 475.

I've been operating at a senior management level (industrial relations, communications, corporate affairs type organisations) for the last 7 years with very few formal qualifications and would probably take my chances in finding a job. (i'm also an electrician to trade.... but that was a while ago!)

I know this isn't the best time of the day but I was hoping some people would be able to help with a couple of niggling questions...

On balance, given our choices, what visa should we go for?

My occupation appears not to be on the new list - so is it best for me just to keep my head down and fire in on the back of her skills? (she'd love that...)

We've not looked into nursing agencies in any detail so any feedback - are they trustworthy, proficient... any good?

And finally the job market in WA - I noticed there has been some redundancies in health care in recent months - have things picked up in that area and generally?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - ATB
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After a fair bit of research I'm still looking for some help!

As a nurse your wife is undoubtedly the better option as main applicant, you should go as secondart applicant on her application.

If you / she qualifies for a 175 then I would seriously consider going for that. A SMP sponsored visa is higher in the processing queue but few people have that as most SMPs are on hold, so I would think about getting the 175 application in now if you have the points and everything.

A 475 would be a poor choice if you qualify for a 175. Or did you mean 457? Which is a totally different thing. It would probably be quicker to get, but quick is over rated IMHO, I would go for the better visa and for me a permanent independent would be better than a temporary employer sponsored. Obviously that is a personal thing so I don't want to tell you what is best for you.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
A 475 would be a poor choice if you qualify for a 175. Or did you mean 457? Which is a totally different thing. It would probably be quicker to get, but quick is over rated IMHO, I would go for the better visa and for me a permanent independent would be better than a temporary employer sponsored. Obviously that is a personal thing so I don't want to tell you what is best for you.
Yes, sorry I meant the 457. We don't need to go quickly as I have a job which finishes next April and I will get a pay off from that which will help with any move.

Thanks for the feedback
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jlapp
Yes, sorry I meant the 457. We don't need to go quickly as I have a job which finishes next April and I will get a pay off from that which will help with any move.

Thanks for the feedback
Well if you are in no rush, and I don't understand why some people are personally, then go for the 175/6. You can still use these agencies to find work, but being independent of them visa-wise can only be to your advantage.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:40 am
Just Joined

We will go for that - thanks again

If anybody has any info about the job market in and around Perth - particularly in terms of nursing - that would be great!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi . I have been here a month and am a registered nurse but unable to work here due to not having 12 months experience. I have been told that nursing is going through tricky times here at the moment but looking on seek there are plenty of interesting nursing jobs advertised. There are loads of agencies. I just joined one today to a do health care assistants role. I would go for a 175 it will give you more independence. You can still work over here too my hubby was considering doing something outside the occupation he got his 175 on but luckily got a job. Your wife will have to do the IELTS test as part of her regististration and if she hasn't already got it tell her to get her transcript of training from her UNI as it can take a while and is needed. All the best, go for it.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Hi . I have been here a month and am a registered nurse but unable to work here due to not having 12 months experience. I have been told that nursing is going through tricky times here at the moment but looking on seek there are plenty of interesting nursing jobs advertised. There are loads of agencies. I just joined one today to a do health care assistants role. I would go for a 175 it will give you more independence. You can still work over here too my hubby was considering doing something outside the occupation he got his 175 on but luckily got a job. Your wife will have to do the IELTS test as part of her regististration and if she hasn't already got it tell her to get her transcript of training from her UNI as it can take a while and is needed. All the best, go for it.
Thanks for that - really helpful.

I take it you came on your husband's visa?

We're going to start the process this week hopefully...
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

yes we came on my husbands visa. I went for some mandatory training today CPR, Fire Safety etc and made me realise just how much I love working in the care sector even if it is as a care assistant I can't wait for my first shift. Good look with the visa process the people on Expats are fab at answering anything you need to know.