Advice on UK to Tasmania move

Old Nov 1st 2022, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice on UK to Tasmania move

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am well aware of the thousands of kilometres between Hobart and the Antarctic, strangely enough - my point was that there is nothing in between to mitigate the iciness or strength of the wind.
One of the reasons southern Hemisphere climates on similar latitudes to the North are less likely to see snowfall such as Christchurch is largely because of a lack of landmass between New Zealand and the Antarctic to carry these cold temperatures. The large amount of ocean actually keeps temperatures moderated. This is why Southern Hemisphere climates are generally both milder in winter and not as hot in summer as Northern hemisphere climates. If there was another large landmass below Australia this would be able to carry heavier polar fronts to both New Zealand and Australia that are essentially non existent at present. Just look at Europe and the US for example, cities even in Georgia are prone to cold winter's yet latitude wise sits much closer to the equator than Melbourne which is milder. Jerusalem on a similar latitude to Perth can experience a few snow flurries in a winter and heavy snowfall every few years compared to Perth which has never recorded Snow in it's history. Therefore another landmass south of Australia would in no way mitigate cold fronts, on the contrary it would intensify it as it does in the northern hemisphere

Last edited by paddy234; Nov 1st 2022 at 12:34 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Depends what you are used to and London weather has changed a lot over the years. The big downside is that it gets dark too early in London and higher buildings block the sun so anywhere with less buildings and a beach would make those who seek that life be more positive about what they have now . I lived in Jersey Channel Islands the year when apparently 2400 hours of sun were recorded and it still didn't seem to be what I experience in Lloret de Mar. Many people from here also complained about the icy winds in Christchurch, so as you can see everyone has a different view. Those who never lived near a windy coast will feel the wind and it's no different when you go from West Cork to the North in winter. The wind is a lot colder for those who are even used to wind. Madrid is also sunny and people from Bilbao complain about the cold winters. In reality Tasmania is just too far away from Europe and very remote, so one has to be really sure. Somewhere like Sardinia is also nice. Even the Azores might suit some and is a shorter distance away, but again completely different and life is life. It's the same with Brisbane, some love it and others complain that it gets dark too early and thought a sunny country would be about long bright summer evenings. With global warming and other things going on, better weather will have a complete different meaning in the future. Weather and people are just too complex.
I experienced icy winds in Christchurch but it was nothing out of the ordinary. I did climatise a little bit in Christchurch compared to Ireland which is proof they are different enough climates. That meant I was more susceptible to colder temperatures I may Have thought of as not that bad in Ireland such as temperatures in the high single digits. Max temperatures in Christchurch are rarely below 10°C in winter so you really feel it if you get a really cold day that doesn't go above this. It's all relative though because we climatize but the fact that we climatize is evident one climate is warmer than the other. Christchurch is clearly warmer than Ireland and Hobart more so. Not drastically like Sydney, Perth or Brisbane but more like South west France to Northern Spain

Also i agree with you about sunshine that it needs some heat aswell which is obviously why the Jersey Channel Islands wouldn't have felt as warm as Spain. Coastal regions as you say are always windy so will always feel a bit cooler. In Australia, the wind in summer is a God send. In Ireland and the UK it's a hindrance to us enjoying the beach lol. As for why this poster may pick Hobart on the other side of the world instead of somewhere like Spain for a similar climate to Hobart. Well personally I believe it's because Australia culturally is still very much Anglo/Celtic influenced and therefore people from Ireland/UK would find it easier to integrate no doubt especially as we all speak the same language.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
. Christchurch is clearly warmer than Ireland and Hobart more so. Not drastically like Sydney, Perth or Brisbane but more like South west France to Northern Spain
Australia culturally is still very much Anglo/Celtic influenced and therefore people from Ireland/UK would find it easier to integrate no doubt especially as we all speak the same language.
Therein lies the problem and you talk about the UK/Ireland as if it's one town. Southwest France and Northern Spain would also be huge areas and it's nearly 1000 km from Bordeaux to Vigo with completely different weather patterns. People who seek a Celtic influence don't move to Sydney, Perth or Brisbane today and those really interested will find more links in Galicia or Basque Country, especially with minority languages (Gaelige or Euskara). Some Tasmanians also feel they are different to mainland Australians. One would assume that language makes things easier, then people quickly realise that speaking the same language does not always mean you'll automatically fit in. Regardless if Christchurch or Hobart is warmer, every person who is focused on a warmer climate will eventually leave again. Of course one can also argue about this survey, the past has always shown that those who want warm complain and those who don't mind the cold survive. Just be prepared.

https://tasmaniantimes.com/2022/08/r...t-in-the-cold/
https://www.smh.com.au/property/news...15-p5b9vi.html

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 1st 2022 at 3:36 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Therein lies the problem and you talk about the UK/Ireland as if it's one town. Southwest France and Northern Spain would also be huge areas and it's nearly 1000 km from Bordeaux to Vigo with completely different weather patterns. People who seek a Celtic influence don't move to Sydney, Perth or Brisbane today and those really interested will find more links in Galicia or Basque Country, especially with minority languages (Gaelige or Euskara). Some Tasmanians also feel they are different to mainland Australians. One would assume that language makes things easier, then people quickly realise that speaking the same language does not always mean you'll automatically fit in. Regardless if Christchurch or Hobart is warmer, every person who is focused on a warmer climate will eventually leave again. Renters will probably find homes cold, so similar issue to NZ.
https://www.smh.com.au/property/news...15-p5b9vi.html
I have already done climate comparisons on another forum. Christchurch is similar to La Rochelle in central France. Auckland with A Coruna in Spain. Hobart with Gijon in Northern Spain though Hobart is much sunnier. I can't find a climate in Europe that gets as mild summers but is also as sunny as Hobart though the strength of Hobart's sun would no doubt make up for it as I learnt in Christchurch getting sunburnt in winter-early Spring when I first arrived lol. I'm also not speaking about Ireland/UK as one town but I can easily conclude as you will agree that Hobart is a warmer and sunnier climate than ANYWHERE in Ireland/UK therefore if one is seeking a slightly warmer and much sunnier climate to Ireland/UK without being too hot then Hobart and Melbourne are their best bet if they are looking at this side of the world.

As for people seeking a Celtic influence won't find it Australia. I disagree. Irish migrants made up the second highest number of migrants next to English until well into the 20th century. You certainly notice the anglo-celtic influence within the Australian people. Also language I believe is the number one barrier that prevents Irish and Brits from living throughout Europe more. Having to learn and entire new language AND pick up a nation's customs and values is quite stressful. I can easily see how stressful it is for European people's who live here and struggle to be understood everyday. Ireland culturally has just as much in common with Britain if not more than the other celtic nations of Europe.

As for cold homes in Australia and New Zealand. That is more to do with the poor building standards than the climate. Even in a warm mediterranean climate like Perth houses get cold in winter. Even in Brisbane many people find winters cold and heating necessary at times. Also this has been a very cold year for much of the country. More so than usual
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 10:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

You are right
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 1:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Weathergate
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

At least it's sunny

https://giant.gfycat.com/SkeletalCom...beriannase.mp4
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 1:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 3rd 2022, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Couldn't have been in Ireland/UK then
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Couldn't have been in Ireland/UK then
What Google tells you

Reality right now

Old Nov 3rd 2022, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

What Google tells you

Reality right now
I believe Google . Only messing. Hope your enjoying the sunshine 🌞