Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Advice please regarding waiver of work experience for permanent visa

Advice please regarding waiver of work experience for permanent visa

Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

keepingbabiesoffthefloor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please regarding waiver of work experience for permanent visa

Hi i hope this is the right place to ask. I am a soon to be qualified midwife and will be moving to Australia as soon as possible, with my husband and children. I have already had offers from various hospitals willing to sponsor on the temp visa. However, my OH is a policeman and wants to join over there too, we have to be on a permanent visa for him to be able to do this.
Whilst spending many many hrs trying to sort out the visa info on the immigration website, I noticed that under the permanent visa there is a possibility that certain criteria can be waivered ie age if someone was over 45y or in my case does not have the work experience requirement as newly qualified. Some of the hospitals have said I could apply for their graduate entry programme a rotation of 12 or 18mths, thus by the very nature of being a graduate I wouldn't have the experience. Does anyone know if this is a possibility. I also read that if I obtain state sponsorship then again certain criteria may be waivered by themselves, anyone know if experience is one of those?
Many thanks to anyone if they feel they can help

xx
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please regarding waiver of work experience for permanent visa

From what I understand in order to get a skilled migrant visa you must have experience. However that doesn't stop any of the hospitals you have spoken to from sponsoring you for a permanent visa from the outset. There are employer sponsored visas available.

Is it imperative that you move to Australia now? Why can't you wait until you have the required work experience before applying? Loads of posters here have done or are doing just that. Tiredwithtwins comes to mind - she's got a countdown to her required wees of experience in her signature.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Advice please regarding waiver of work experience for permanent visa

Thanks Dorothy for the reply.

Nothing is imperative, just our preferred plan. But open to other ideas which might suit better. As permanent seems to take longer to obtain than temp, would that mean only applying when I have the required 12 months experience. Have you read in the immigration booklet, for PR that the experience and age can be waivered? I just wondered if anyone on here knew more about that specifically, it goes on to say that if the sponsor agrees to waiver it then they need to give reasons, as you have said. Maybe I need to just get back onto all the hospitals and ask directly.
Will be interviewing for jobs in June so hopefully by then it will come together
Thanks again
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

supriyag123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keepingbabiesoffthefloor
Hi i hope this is the right place to ask. I am a soon to be qualified midwife and will be moving to Australia as soon as possible, with my husband and children. I have already had offers from various hospitals willing to sponsor on the temp visa. However, my OH is a policeman and wants to join over there too, we have to be on a permanent visa for him to be able to do this.
Whilst spending many many hrs trying to sort out the visa info on the immigration website, I noticed that under the permanent visa there is a possibility that certain criteria can be waivered ie age if someone was over 45y or in my case does not have the work experience requirement as newly qualified. Some of the hospitals have said I could apply for their graduate entry programme a rotation of 12 or 18mths, thus by the very nature of being a graduate I wouldn't have the experience. Does anyone know if this is a possibility. I also read that if I obtain state sponsorship then again certain criteria may be waivered by themselves, anyone know if experience is one of those?
Many thanks to anyone if they feel they can help

xx
As you say that there are various hospitals to offer you sponsorship for temporary visa, why don't you try with them for a employer-sponsored PR (ENS)? One of my friends got experience waiver in ENS, in a different profession though. And by far ENS is the fastest route to get PR.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that reply, there's hope yet then. Will start badgering the hos pitals now, will also try and get out there for a face to face visit maybe try and sell myself some more . Its just that if I go on a graduate entry programme at a hospital ,which I'd love because of the support and rotation, I have by the very nature of it, to be newly qualified and not have experience. I guess I can only ask them.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keepingbabiesoffthefloor
Thanks Dorothy for the reply.

Nothing is imperative, just our preferred plan. But open to other ideas which might suit better. As permanent seems to take longer to obtain than temp, would that mean only applying when I have the required 12 months experience. Have you read in the immigration booklet, for PR that the experience and age can be waivered? I just wondered if anyone on here knew more about that specifically, it goes on to say that if the sponsor agrees to waiver it then they need to give reasons, as you have said. Maybe I need to just get back onto all the hospitals and ask directly.
Will be interviewing for jobs in June so hopefully by then it will come together
Thanks again
If you cannot get the ENS sponsorship and decide to go for a skilled migrant visa, then you would need to have the experience before you apply. You cannot make up the required 12 months whilst you wait in the application queue.

Still I think this is a reasonable option for you if there is no pressing need to go as soon as possible. Nurses visa applications can be processed fairly quickly, especially with state sponsorship.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

What I really want is the graduate midwifery programme and thats where the needing to go sooner than later comes from. They have said I can apply and they are very interested in me, but if I stay here and work I am no longer a newly qualified, but that doesn't make me any less of a novice midwife when it comes to working in Australia. We don't have anything like the support over here and many NQ's sink under it all. Anyway I have emailed the hospital I am most interested in and see what they say, so fingers crossed. xx