Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed - Father's permission to remove child from country

Advice Needed - Father's permission to remove child from country

Old May 6th 2008, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

leahh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed - Father's permission to remove child from country

Hi all,

As said above some advice is needed please! My partner, myself and little boy are planning to emmigrate to Oz in the next 12 - 18 months. My partner is not my little boys biological father but has brought him up since he was two.

Now my question is do I need to seek some kind of permission to take my son out of the country from his biological father or not? My son's biological father is on the birth certificate but we were never married so due to this I have sole parental responsibility according to legislation . Please could anyone offer some advice as to how this could affect our move?

Thanks in advance!!
Old May 6th 2008, 9:53 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed

Originally Posted by leahh
Hi all,

As said above some advice is needed please! My partner, myself and little boy are planning to emmigrate to Oz in the next 12 - 18 months. My partner is not my little boys biological father but has brought him up since he was two.

Now my question is do I need to seek some kind of permission to take my son out of the country from his biological father or not? My son's biological father is on the birth certificate but we were never married so due to this I have sole parental responsibility according to legislation . Please could anyone offer some advice as to how this could affect our move?

Thanks in advance!!

hi leah

yes i think you do need permission from the biological father even though he has not been in your sons life its still needed im affraid
someone else may be able to advise you more

good luck

jan xx
Old May 7th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough

Sorry but yes you do need permission to take him - depending on whether he actually sees his dad depends on what you do next. If he sees him then you need an official letter drawn up stating that it's ok for you to emigrate with him but if he doesn't see him and you don't know where he is then you need to approach the courts for permission.

I'm divorced and in the process of sorting out sole residency (custody) with permission to chose where the children live - in my case my ex will be thrilled to get us off his hands as he's not seen the kids in 2.5 years. Once we emigrate he can then tell everyone how evil I am taking the chidlren abroad and away from him! Idiot!!

Your best bet would be to talk to an agent and then find a family solicitor and take it from there.
Old May 8th 2008, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

leahh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your advice think I'll get in contact with a solicitor just to check out what the situation is and make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks again

Leahx