ACS Skills - system designer - Help pls!

Old Aug 4th 2004, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about
Default ACS Skills - system designer - Help pls!

Dear all

I have worked out the job spec that I am going to apply under.
However I would like to ask for help/info in how I go about applying.

Below is the requirements I have been given to apply

2231-13 Systems Designer

Conducts research into computer and communications systems, and develops techniques for their effective application and use.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

Tasks Include:

conducts research into user interaction with information technology systems and areas in which ease and efficiency of use could be enhanced
reviews and develops computer architecture and design, computer languages, computational techniques, data communication processes, and user interface devices
tests new information technology system designs and rectifies design problems found
performs acceptance testing of new system components
writes reports and papers describing findings for publication

Is it now a matter of getting my CV to match 4 years of Systems Designer experience, (I have 4 years Business Analyst experience - Is this the correct category?)
getting signed references which back this up. How detailed do they need to be?
What documents do I need from Uni for IT Degree?

Does anyone have any examples they can pass on or experience of applying for this from ACS?

Any advice is much appreicated, as I think this will be the most demanding part of the application for me (well it feels it at the moment!)

Cheers

DM
Old Aug 4th 2004, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ACS Skills - system designer - Help pls!

Originally posted by Dmartyos
Dear all

I have worked out the job spec that I am going to apply under.
However I would like to ask for help/info in how I go about applying.

Below is the requirements I have been given to apply

2231-13 Systems Designer

Conducts research into computer and communications systems, and develops techniques for their effective application and use.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

Tasks Include:

conducts research into user interaction with information technology systems and areas in which ease and efficiency of use could be enhanced
reviews and develops computer architecture and design, computer languages, computational techniques, data communication processes, and user interface devices
tests new information technology system designs and rectifies design problems found
performs acceptance testing of new system components
writes reports and papers describing findings for publication

Is it now a matter of getting my CV to match 4 years of Systems Designer experience, (I have 4 years Business Analyst experience - Is this the correct category?)
getting signed references which back this up. How detailed do they need to be?
What documents do I need from Uni for IT Degree?

Does anyone have any examples they can pass on or experience of applying for this from ACS?

Any advice is much appreicated, as I think this will be the most demanding part of the application for me (well it feels it at the moment!)

Cheers

DM
I applied 1 month ago to ACS under 2231-21 (Computer Systems Auditor - CISSP). I've just received a successful, although they gave it to me as 2231-11 (Information Systems Manager)

The ASCO code doesn't really matter - they will assess your experience and if they assess you as having sufficient IT experience then will give it to you under whichever code they consider the most appropriate.

From your Uni dgeree, you need to send a degree transcript, which shows the marks awarded for each module of your degree - not just the final grade. Your university can send you this (at a cost) if you don't have it.

Your CV obviously needs to be detailed, but I don't think the work reference letter needs as much detail as everyone seems to imply.

I'll send you a PM or email with a copy of the reference letter my boss wrote (santised to remove company name, etc.)

Cheers

Phil
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Phil

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Just a couple of questions which I am bit unsure of....

For the Uni degree, do you need description of each module as well as marks awarded? Is this done by me or will the Uni be able to submit this?

In terms of the CV how large does this need to be? Mine is currently 2 pages with bullet points. Does this need to be much larger. Also do I need to dates against the IT projects I worked on.

In terms of work references I would appreciate a copy without main details of what was written in terms of IT Experience.
I'll send you a PM or email with a copy of the reference letter my boss wrote (santised to remove company name, etc.)

Any info on this intial phase would be great emailed or PM for myself so that I can get cracking with it & get all the info ready.

ps= Did U do this yourself minus Agent? Once your accepted what is your next process now? Cheers
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:31 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

They are looking for module titles so that they can confirm the course was 3 years, and had enough IT modules to meet the requirements.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

I've already sent you a PM with a copy of my employers reference letter.

Degree transcripts are a standard format - course/module title and marks awarded. This is all they are looking for - they'll then compare that against the content of similar degree courses in Australia.

My CV is 4 pages: I've got a lot of detail for my current and previous roles, slightly less for the one before that (which goes back to 1991) and then a 1 or 2 line summary of each job / role going back to start of my career in 1982.

I've also got Chartered Membership of the BCS (MBCS CITP) and am a member of a number of Information Security, Computer Audit and Business Continuity related professional bodies. I'd like to think that all this helped towards my positive assessment, but who knows - I might have got it just on the strength of my degree and experience anyway.

I got the STNI and the ACS assessment myself. I'm now about to fill in the 47SK and apply for the visa.

I can see how many find the system complex and, of course, the desire to achieve migration is so strong that they feel they must use an agent to avoid making any silly mistakes that lead to failure. However, unless you have a very borderline case or specific issues such as disabilities, child custody, etc., then I reckon that any reasonably organised, diligent and intelligent person, with the help of contributors to forums like this where necessary, can get through the process without the help of an agent.

I'll only get one chance at this because next year I'll be 45 and won't be able to apply again. But even that hasn't prompted me to use an agent - I really don't think it's difficult.

Phil

Last edited by PhilShila; Aug 5th 2004 at 11:12 am.