ACS Assessment - Experience Req for MODL

Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Daniyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS Assessment - Experience Req for MODL

Hi there:
I am a software Engineer with 2+ years of post-graduate work experience in the relevant field(c#/c++ with .net and j2ee) which also happens to be in the MODL.
While going through ACS wiki and other information available I was able to ascertain that I ought to have 4 years of post-graduate experience in order to claim for anything.

My question is that is there anyway I could apply for MODL with 2+ years of experience as my agent says I can, by including my final year project and my part time work during last two years of studies to count for total of 4 years.

Will appreciate any replies, thanks in advance

Daniyal
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:25 am
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all
Default Re: ACS Assessment - Experience Req for MODL

Originally Posted by Daniyal
Hi there:
I am a software Engineer with 2+ years of post-graduate work experience in the relevant field(c#/c++ with .net and j2ee) which also happens to be in the MODL.
While going through ACS wiki and other information available I was able to ascertain that I ought to have 4 years of post-graduate experience in order to claim for anything.

My question is that is there anyway I could apply for MODL with 2+ years of experience as my agent says I can, by including my final year project and my part time work during last two years of studies to count for total of 4 years.

Will appreciate any replies, thanks in advance

Daniyal
If your agent says you can, then go for it, on the basis that if they are wrong, and you get declined do to insufficient work experience, you don't pay them. Obviously tell the agent that too.

Be careful as well because you said part time work and the 4 years is supposed to be full time, but again if you have an agent and they say it's OK then go for it, but if they are wrong they shouldn't be paid.

Best of luck

Allan
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:15 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

I second that, part time work, especially while studying, will probably make up to no more than 50% of full-time equivalent and you may fall short of the years needed to pass. The 4 years should be full-time, paid for and at a professional level. Anything not matching to the criteria is questionable, and likely to be prorated. If I were you I would obtain a second opinion before proceeding with the ACS application.

NJ
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Malikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really nice

Originally Posted by newjersey
I second that, part time work, especially while studying, will probably make up to no more than 50% of full-time equivalent and you may fall short of the years needed to pass. The 4 years should be full-time, paid for and at a professional level. Anything not matching to the criteria is questionable, and likely to be prorated. If I were you I would obtain a second opinion before proceeding with the ACS application.

NJ
Hi i agreed with newjersey, be carefull while applying for assessment, ACS is very strict on the passing criteria, anything less than 4 years of experience may cause rejection....

Cheers
Malik
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Daniyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the prompt replies guys....perhaps I got a bit carried away by the agent's sweet talking and got a bit hasty too.
Now my assessment is under process since I don't know when...but date received is showing: 11-August-2008
I am hoping in for a miracle now....anyways one more question, can I re-apply for assessment after experience years are fulfilled. If yes, then will the previous assessment be considered or not?

Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Mac SA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the prompt replies guys....perhaps I got a bit carried away by the agent's sweet talking and got a bit hasty too.
Now my assessment is under process since I don't know when...but date received is showing: 11-August-2008
I am hoping in for a miracle now....anyways one more question, can I re-apply for assessment after experience years are fulfilled. If yes, then will the previous assessment be considered or not?

Thanks
Hi Daniyal,

You will be able to re-apply after you have enough experience. My understanding is that they will not consider your previous application (you will have to pay the full fee again ).

They will consider IT experience pre qualification - if you have any?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Chiren is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Hi I am in a similar dilemma as you once were. I am having 3 years of fulltime work experience and 3 years of parttime work experience as well. What r my chances to get Positive reply from the ACS ?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Matrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the rough

Part-time experience will be considered on a pro-rata basis, have a look at the ACS FAQs:
http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?acti...faq#experience

So if you have a recognised IT degree (and therefore need to show at least 4 years work experience) you should be fine.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:44 am
Banned

Mukesam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chiren
Hi I am in a similar dilemma as you once were. I am having 3 years of fulltime work experience and 3 years of parttime work experience as well. What r my chances to get Positive reply from the ACS ?
Dear,

As far as I remember guidelines of ACS, there were 2 options:
1) Either you have degree major in IT like BCS, MCS etc then you need to have 4+ years of exp. It does not matter if its prior to your degree or after your degree.
2) You don't have a degree major in IT then you need to have atleast 6 or 7 years exp.(i dont' remember exactly)

And they will consider part time jobs as well. THey will calculate hours per week and will add those days/months to your exp from part time job.

Also, if you have certifications like .MCTS, JCP etc then its a + point as well.
My advise is to check latest guidelines from ACS on ACS site. It won't take much time.

Regards,
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mukesam
Dear,

As far as I remember guidelines of ACS, there were 2 options:
1) Either you have degree major in IT like BCS, MCS etc then you need to have 4+ years of exp. It does not matter if its prior to your degree or after your degree.
2) You don't have a degree major in IT then you need to have atleast 6 or 7 years exp.(i dont' remember exactly)

And they will consider part time jobs as well. THey will calculate hours per week and will add those days/months to your exp from part time job.

Also, if you have certifications like .MCTS, JCP etc then its a + point as well.
My advise is to check latest guidelines from ACS on ACS site. It won't take much time.

Regards,

Thanks Mate.
I have got a SAP Certification. I would like to attach it to my application.

I would like to Know whether which documents will be actually required as an evidence of Experience ? Is experience certificate on company's letterhead Ok or does it need to have the IT returns and all as well ?

Regards...
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Matrisha
Part-time experience will be considered on a pro-rata basis, have a look at the ACS FAQs:
http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?acti...faq#experience

So if you have a recognised IT degree (and therefore need to show at least 4 years work experience) you should be fine.
Hi.

Thanks for the guidance. Can you please let me know what do they mean by Prorata basis ? Considering that I worked 20-25 hrs per week for 3 years parttime, hw long is this experience considered ?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Matrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the roughMatrisha is a jewel in the rough

Hi.

Thanks for the guidance. Can you please let me know what do they mean by Prorata basis ? Considering that I worked 20-25 hrs per week for 3 years parttime, hw long is this experience considered ?
According to ACS, "Full-time experience is defined as 38 hours or more per week."

So it's a simple rule of three ...
Let's say you have your three years part time experience with 20 hours per week, then the calculation would look something like this:

( 20 hours / 38 hours) * 36 months = nearly 19 months

So your 3 years part time experience would be considered as 19 months full time experience.

(Hope I made myself clear )

Please keep in mind that your references should clearly state your weekly hours of work.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:22 pm
Banned

Mukesam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mate.
I have got a SAP Certification. I would like to attach it to my application.

I would like to Know whether which documents will be actually required as an evidence of Experience ? Is experience certificate on company's letterhead Ok or does it need to have the IT returns and all as well ?

Regards...

You need to have your duties/specialities and responsibilities of work for your org clearly mentioned on your exp letter and your CV and exp letter must back each other. Like if you have written in your CV that you have worked for bla bla bal technology and projects for 3 years and your responsibilities/skills included ...... for these 3 years then this must be clearly mentioned in your exp letter as well.

A good CV, a supporting/precise exp letter, degrees, certifications, passport copy, transcripts and other educational certificates; that's what you need for ACS. Oh forgot to metion $$$$ fee of ACS.

Hope it helps,
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

umair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mukesam
You need to have your duties/specialities and responsibilities of work for your org clearly mentioned on your exp letter and your CV and exp letter must back each other. Like if you have written in your CV that you have worked for bla bla bal technology and projects for 3 years and your responsibilities/skills included ...... for these 3 years then this must be clearly mentioned in your exp letter as well.

A good CV, a supporting/precise exp letter, degrees, certifications, passport copy, transcripts and other educational certificates; that's what you need for ACS. Oh forgot to metion $$$$ fee of ACS.

Hope it helps,
Hi All,
I have a question regarding ACS Assessment.
Can anybody tell me how ACS approves my qualifcation and experience. Will they call my employer? Also what exactly I need to send ACS for assessment regarding my experience. Do I need to show payslips as well??