Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

ACS assessment - 2 exp years deduction rule

ACS assessment - 2 exp years deduction rule

Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:02 am
Just Joined

su1try is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS assessment - 2 exp years deduction rule

Hi,

I have one "simple" question :-)

Since when ACS deducts 2 years of experience (booklet says that after two years is starting Skilled employment)? And is that always the case?

Because I have 3 years of experience and that will be 5 points but if they deduct it then I'm on 0 points :-/

It is the dilemma... If I receive 0 points on experience then I'll have to go for band 8 on IELTS which is... hard :-)
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS assessment - 2 exp years deduction rule

Originally Posted by su1try
Hi,

I have one "simple" question :-)

Since when ACS deducts 2 years of experience (booklet says that after two years is starting Skilled employment)? And is that always the case?

Because I have 3 years of experience and that will be 5 points but if they deduct it then I'm on 0 points :-/

It is the dilemma... If I receive 0 points on experience then I'll have to go for band 8 on IELTS which is... hard :-)
The new ACS assessments started last May, and the minimum valid experience needed for a successful skills assessment is 2 years (but can be more). Summary criteria is on their website (and here - http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/...a-Oct-2013.pdf )

The only time that experience is not necessary is if you satisfy the 'recent graduate' requirement. (http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/...duate-FAQs.pdf )
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Thx sparkles for you reply

I have Master degree in Computer enigeering and 3 years of experience as software engineer.

Is that 15 points for degree + 5 years for experience? Or will they deduct 2 years of my experience and I'll get 0 points for employment experience?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:23 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thx sparkles for you reply

I have Master degree in Computer enigeering and 3 years of experience as software engineer.

Is that 15 points for degree + 5 years for experience? Or will they deduct 2 years of my experience and I'll get 0 points for employment experience?
Did you look at the ACS criteria?

If your degree is ICT major and closely related to your occupation, you will need 2 years relevant experience to be recognised as skilled. If it is ICT major and not closely related to your occupation you will need 4 years of relevant experience to be recognised as skilled. And so on ....
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Yes, it is closely related.

This example from booklet is confusing me:

Example:
 You complete a relevant Bachelor in Jan 2008 and you have 4 years of relevant work experience from Jan 2008 until Jan 2012.
 2 years of work experience will be used to satisfy the suitability criteria and your Skill Level Requirement Met Date will be Jan 2010.
 All suitable work experience completed after Jan 2010 will be considered “Skilled Employment” and eligible for the skilled migration points test.
The 2 years of work experience used to satisfy the suitability criteria is NOT eligible for the skilled migration points test but is assessed to meet the suitability criteria.

That means that this example person will not receive 5 points for migration?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:31 pm

Yes, it is closely related.

This example from booklet is confusing me:

Example:
 You complete a relevant Bachelor in Jan 2008 and you have 4 years of relevant work experience from Jan 2008 until Jan 2012.
 2 years of work experience will be used to satisfy the suitability criteria and your Skill Level Requirement Met Date will be Jan 2010.
 All suitable work experience completed after Jan 2010 will be considered “Skilled Employment” and eligible for the skilled migration points test.
The 2 years of work experience used to satisfy the suitability criteria is NOT eligible for the skilled migration points test but is assessed to meet the suitability criteria.

That means that this example person will not receive 5 points for migration?
Yes in the example given the person could only declare 2 years experience to DIBP so would get no points.

If you find this difficult to understand, you may want to consider using an experienced MARA agent
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Yes in the example given the person could only declare 2 years experience to DIBP so would get no points.

If you find this difficult to understand, you may want to consider using an experienced MARA agent
Hehe it's not that difficult to understand but I've talked to a few of my friends and ACS didn't remove 2 years from their total years of experience.

And if ACS take 2 years from my 3 years of experience then I have only 55 points and that is a problem :-) So I want to clarify do they take those 2 years or not. Mixed signals
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:39 pm

Hehe it's not that difficult to understand but I've talked to a few of my friends and ACS didn't remove 2 years from their total years of experience.

And if ACS take 2 years from my 3 years of experience then I have only 55 points and that is a problem :-) So I want to clarify do they take those 2 years or not. Mixed signals
If you friends had their assessments before May last year, they would have been assessed under the old rules, with no deduction of experience

If they qualify for assessment under the recent graduate part of the new assessments it does not require experience.

All the current criteria is on the ACS website - have a read and tell me if they will deduct 2 years or more from your experience - those are the current rules.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Yes they will and I don't like it :-D
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:50 pm

Yes they will and I don't like it :-D
If your score will only be 55 points, how about looking at a 190 visa which will bring your points to 60. If you go for state sponsorship you would have to check the criteria of the state.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

If your score will only be 55 points, how about looking at a 190 visa which will bring your points to 60. If you go for state sponsorship you would have to check the criteria of the state.
Yep I could do that but I want to go in some big city and they don't offer sponsorship for Software engineers
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:26 pm

Yep I could do that but I want to go in some big city and they don't offer sponsorship for Software engineers
As you say though you can always try IELTS - or wait until you have more experience
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

dilruk336 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you friends had their assessments before May last year, they would have been assessed under the old rules, with no deduction of experience

If they qualify for assessment under the recent graduate part of the new assessments it does not require experience.

All the current criteria is on the ACS website - have a read and tell me if they will deduct 2 years or more from your experience - those are the current rules.
if ACS assessment made was before last year May. At that time my experience indicated as 4 years and 3 months in ACS Letter itself. Now I have 5 years experience.

a) Is it possible me to claim points for 5 years working experience ?
b) if so how can I prove this ? Using Pay Slips ?

Thanks