Accountancy Skills Assessment Requirements

Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

emmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really nice
Default Accountancy Skills Assessment Requirements

Hi there

I'm posting this question on behalf of a friend. She is an accountant with almost twenty years experience, and is head of finance of a large successful company. However, she has never done any formal accounting qualifications. Does anyone know whether formal qualifications are a requirement for getting a successful skills assessment in accountancy?

If she does need to have her CIMA professional qualifications, (which she has just enroled for here) does anyone know if she can start it here and finish it out there on a student visa, and then apply for PR once she's got it?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

gunners1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Accountancy Skills Assessment Requirements

the below are three assessing authorities that do the assessmnets for accountants.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au

http://www.icaa.org.au

http://www.nia.org.au

Not sure about qualified by experience (QBE) but i found the ICAA to be helful when I emailed them with queries.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:41 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmo
Hi there

I'm posting this question on behalf of a friend. She is an accountant with almost twenty years experience, and is head of finance of a large successful company. However, she has never done any formal accounting qualifications. Does anyone know whether formal qualifications are a requirement for getting a successful skills assessment in accountancy?

If she does need to have her CIMA professional qualifications, (which she has just enroled for here) does anyone know if she can start it here and finish it out there on a student visa, and then apply for PR once she's got it?

Hi Emmo,

If your friend looks at the websites for the NIA, CPAA and ICAA, she'll discover that their skills assessment procedures are all based on qualifications or professional memberships.

On the other hand, as accounting isn't a regulated profession here, should she be lucky enough to find an employer here, she could get a temporary sponsored visa and then a permanent sponsored visa.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

gunners1 will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Below are the 3 assessing authorities for accountants.

http://www.icaa.org.au
http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au
http://www.nia.org.au

not sure what the rules are for QBE but if you email the ICAA they were helpful with my queries.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Absolutely yes. Either an Australian bachelors degree in accounting (or overseas equivalent) or a recognised overseas professional qualification.

- Does your friend have a degree in any other subject?; and
- Does she want to migrate independently or is her employer thinking of sending her to Australia?

I doubt it's possible to study for a foreign professional qualification on a student visa. As for PR after graduation - too many variables to give an assessment other than to say that an Australian qualification in itself is not enough. And especially for your friend, if she is approaching 45 then age becomes a problem too.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

emmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really nice

Thanks to everyone for their speedy repies. One last thought, is it possible that she might be able to apply under "management" instead? She heads up a large department.

Thank you.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

cra1gm is an unknown quantity at this point

i have finished CIMA whilst here in australia, she will have to do a distance learning course though. CIMA are talking about starting some courses over here.

I was as a employer sponsored 457, and completed it in my part time.

She will need to complete either CIMA or have a batchelors or similar, and be assessed.

I would strongly recommend ICAA if she has CIMA