Anyone in the same boat!

Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

kempyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in the same boat!

Hi all,

I didnt know really where to put this thread so thought id give it a go on here.

I’ve just come back from spending a month in Aus which was fantastic, We flew into Sydney and loved it, then went onto Melbourne (disappointed) Brisbane (fantastic) then to Hamilton Island (Could have been better). Whilst there, my husband and I with our twins (21months) looked in these areas for possible houses etc. Initially we thought abt moving to Melbourne but we were sadly disappointed with the place. My Husband thought Sydney was fantastic and we have friends there. We really like Brisbane and found a possible area called Coomera. Sydney was the best though but although our friends say that we could afford to live there im not too sure. Has anyone any thoughts on Sydney to Brisbane. What areas are good in Brisbane/Sydney for work and for families?

Anyway the purpose of our trip was to assure my husband that Aus was the place to be.

Last year I did my skills assessment which was passed as a Civil Engineer, that’s was all fine and I thought GREAT!! I was going to have my uncle in Brisbane sponsor me but after spending over £1500 on an agent he decided that he wasn’t prepared to send documents over seas. This then put and iron in the works as without him I couldn't apply. My agent then found a way that I could go as a skilled independent but I was short on 5 points. He said what I could do is invest $100,000 for a year in an Aussie bank and that will give me my 5 points. I wanted to know if anyone else has had to do this as it will be my parents that will lend me the money so after a year they want it putting back into their UK bank. Has anyone had to do the same thing??

On another note, did anyone get nervous abt all of this process, I know it’s daft but I’m panicking abt things before they even happen, like I’m worrying abt jobs etc. My Husband and I have very good jobs with pretty good pay and it frightens me whether were making a big mistake so confused. It’s me that initially wanted to go to Aus and it took some persuasion for my husband to agree, but I worry as he has more family here than I do, of which he hasn’t told them yet and because of our twins I think they will take it hard. This is where I feel selfish and think I shouldn’t be doing this as although my husband has agreed, he has no problem with staying where he is, we have spent over £3,000.00 already on fees. But then I think you only live once. Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone felt the same? Has anyone done it and regretted it and had to come home?

Listen to me, im sure everyone has had some doubt sometime. If it was me on my own I wouldn’t have any problem but when I have to consider my husband, his feelings and my twins upbringing I guess I’m not sure. Do I stay or do I go!!!

How easy is it for a female to find work as a civil engineer or similar design jobs and what type of jobs could a police officer do who doesn’t want to join the Aussie force???!!!

Any help would be much appreciated. You probably all think Im mad!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:21 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone in the same boat!

It's a shame about your uncle - although he wouldn't have to send any original documents, just needs to get them certified over there. Or you can order a copy of his birth cert from the registration folk here in the UK, that's what I did. Do you have first cousin?

Aside from that, your feeling and expressing what every single person has felt on here..the excitement of a change, the fear of a new change...what will I do when I get there, what can I do when I get out there. But you will find lots of support and guidence on the forum which I'm sure you will realise from the responses you will get!

But the best of luck with whatever path you choose...

...and hey, what you got to lose??
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

The 100k lodgement is quite normal, just be cautious with your agent and that he/she is completely above board. The money should be paid to the Australian government and I think it is held as a bond for a year. I wouldnt be happy making a cheque out for this amount to an agent.

In anyways I surprised you are not getting in under MODL as Civil Engineer is on the list. Assuming you have worked in your field for the last couple of years then you should have enough points. Also assuming your not a wrinkly and are just under 45!!!

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/MODL/58

As for being nervous. There would be something wrong with you if you weren't. My reasons for going are simple. If I dont go then I wont have the family I would like as I wont be able to afford it here. And to make sure I'm going we are expecting our next.

So if I ever ask myself why I'm here (not here but here in Oz, when I am there!) then I'll have my we'uns to remind my why its is worthwhile. I also have no doubt their, and my, quality of life will be better.

Last edited by Uuuh Patsy; Mar 1st 2007 at 12:48 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Can't help at all with your query. Just wanted to say RESPECTfor having 21 month old twins ! We have one that age and don't know how you do it!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:26 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kempyz
He said what I could do is invest $100,000 for a year in an Aussie bank and that will give me my 5 points. I wanted to know if anyone else has had to do this as it will be my parents that will lend me the money so after a year they want it putting back into their UK bank. Has anyone had to do the same thing??
I did this in 2004 - it's perfectly normal! You contact the various state treasuries and decide which one you want to use. We used WA because they offered a good interest rate and were efficient in answering my questions. You transfer the $100k directly into their account and then 12 months later (give or take a couple of weeks), they either send you a cheque or transfer it back into your account, depending on the preference you selected at the start.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:26 pm
Banned

Southerncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to all

Hi all,

I didnt know really where to put this thread so thought id give it a go on here.

I’ve just come back from spending a month in Aus which was fantastic, We flew into Sydney and loved it, then went onto Melbourne (disappointed) Brisbane (fantastic) then to Hamilton Island (Could have been better). Whilst there, my husband and I with our twins (21months) looked in these areas for possible houses etc. Initially we thought abt moving to Melbourne but we were sadly disappointed with the place. My Husband thought Sydney was fantastic and we have friends there. We really like Brisbane and found a possible area called Coomera. Sydney was the best though but although our friends say that we could afford to live there im not too sure. Has anyone any thoughts on Sydney to Brisbane. What areas are good in Brisbane/Sydney for work and for families?

Anyway the purpose of our trip was to assure my husband that Aus was the place to be.

Last year I did my skills assessment which was passed as a Civil Engineer, that’s was all fine and I thought GREAT!! I was going to have my uncle in Brisbane sponsor me but after spending over £1500 on an agent he decided that he wasn’t prepared to send documents over seas. This then put and iron in the works as without him I couldn't apply. My agent then found a way that I could go as a skilled independent but I was short on 5 points. He said what I could do is invest $100,000 for a year in an Aussie bank and that will give me my 5 points. I wanted to know if anyone else has had to do this as it will be my parents that will lend me the money so after a year they want it putting back into their UK bank. Has anyone had to do the same thing??

On another note, did anyone get nervous abt all of this process, I know it’s daft but I’m panicking abt things before they even happen, like I’m worrying abt jobs etc. My Husband and I have very good jobs with pretty good pay and it frightens me whether were making a big mistake so confused. It’s me that initially wanted to go to Aus and it took some persuasion for my husband to agree, but I worry as he has more family here than I do, of which he hasn’t told them yet and because of our twins I think they will take it hard. This is where I feel selfish and think I shouldn’t be doing this as although my husband has agreed, he has no problem with staying where he is, we have spent over £3,000.00 already on fees. But then I think you only live once. Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone felt the same? Has anyone done it and regretted it and had to come home?

Listen to me, im sure everyone has had some doubt sometime. If it was me on my own I wouldn’t have any problem but when I have to consider my husband, his feelings and my twins upbringing I guess I’m not sure. Do I stay or do I go!!!

How easy is it for a female to find work as a civil engineer or similar design jobs and what type of jobs could a police officer do who doesn’t want to join the Aussie force???!!!

Any help would be much appreciated. You probably all think Im mad!
You will have no problem getting a job - you might have to be in a lower position that what you are used to in th UK, but as soon as you have proven yourself, you can start to advance your career. I love Sydney (I live in Perth) - good luck! PS If the life is not for you, you can always go home and have had an adventure in the meantime!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
Can't help at all with your query. Just wanted to say RESPECTfor having 21 month old twins ! We have one that age and don't know how you do it!
I ask that myself some times, !!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
It's a shame about your uncle - although he wouldn't have to send any original documents, just needs to get them certified over there. Or you can order a copy of his birth cert from the registration folk here in the UK, that's what I did. Do you have first cousin?

Aside from that, your feeling and expressing what every single person has felt on here..the excitement of a change, the fear of a new change...what will I do when I get there, what can I do when I get out there. But you will find lots of support and guidence on the forum which I'm sure you will realise from the responses you will get!

But the best of luck with whatever path you choose...

...and hey, what you got to lose??
Thanks for the reply, I guess everyone has had these feelings also, were only human. Thanks for the support, it really made me feel better!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Uuuh Patsy
The 100k lodgement is quite normal, just be cautious with your agent and that he/she is completely above board. The money should be paid to the Australian government and I think it is held as a bond for a year. I wouldnt be happy making a cheque out for this amount to an agent.

In anyways I surprised you are not getting in under MODL as Civil Engineer is on the list. Assuming you have worked in your field for the last couple of years then you should have enough points. Also assuming your not a wrinkly and are just under 45!!!

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/MODL/58

As for being nervous. There would be something wrong with you if you weren't. My reasons for going are simple. If I dont go then I wont have the family I would like as I wont be able to afford it here. And to make sure I'm going we are expecting our next.

So if I ever ask myself why I'm here (not here but here in Oz, when I am there!) then I'll have my we'uns to remind my why its is worthwhile. I also have no doubt their, and my, quality of life will be better.
luckily im just in my 30's so have sometime yet before i get to that age. I have been a civil Engineer for 3 years and gained 60 points for my occupation and 25 points for my age. I think I fell short on 5 points or something as I didnt have a family sponsor. I did question my agent about this and he said i was short but could gain the extra points by investing, something I didnt want to do really esp as its not our money!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wmoore
I did this in 2004 - it's perfectly normal! You contact the various state treasuries and decide which one you want to use. We used WA because they offered a good interest rate and were efficient in answering my questions. You transfer the $100k directly into their account and then 12 months later (give or take a couple of weeks), they either send you a cheque or transfer it back into your account, depending on the preference you selected at the start.
I heard that this is what you do, I did ask my agent and he said id have to speak with themin person as i would be opening the account. So you get intrest paid back to you aswell!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

EandE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Kempyz,

Make sure you do the points test yourself (see http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/136/eligibility-applicant.htm), as far as I can determine by your answers (I'm no expert though) you should be able to get the 120 points without needing the 100k lodgement. This would depend on you meeting the MODL requirements (see Patsy's comment).

Cheers and good luck
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:07 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Er - Am I reading this correctly. You have spent GBP3,000 on agent fees already and have not even lodged a single application....

At this risk of sounding a little like a scare monger our agent charged us less than that including the visa fees....

If you dont mind me saying your agent may be taking you for a ride, granted we dont know the circumstances but this sounds more than a little suspicious.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I did my skills assessment which was passed as a Civil Engineer, that’s was all fine and I thought GREAT!! I was going to have my uncle in Brisbane sponsor me but after spending over £1500 on an agent he decided that he wasn’t prepared to send documents over seas.
That's a pretty lame excuse. There's no need to send original documents overseas as certified copies are normally acceptable instead. Are you sure he just didn't want to sponsor you?

Anyway - Civil Engineer is currently on the MODL so have you looked at whether you can apply independently?

I would second the other person who asked how is it that you've apparently managed to spend GBP3000 on agent fees without lodging an application.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 5th 2007 at 2:00 am.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EandE
Hi there Kempyz,

Make sure you do the points test yourself (see http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/136/eligibility-applicant.htm), as far as I can determine by your answers (I'm no expert though) you should be able to get the 120 points without needing the 100k lodgement. This would depend on you meeting the MODL requirements (see Patsy's comment).

Cheers and good luck
Well I reckon you have more than enough points. 125 if I am hearing you right. An thats at the ripe old age old 39. Check yourself....

http://www.acacia-au.com/skilled-mig...oints-test.php

Now that will be £3000. Please come again

Last edited by Uuuh Patsy; Mar 5th 2007 at 7:42 am.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

luckily im just in my 30's so have sometime yet before i get to that age. I have been a civil Engineer for 3 years and gained 60 points for my occupation and 25 points for my age. I think I fell short on 5 points or something as I didnt have a family sponsor. I did question my agent about this and he said i was short but could gain the extra points by investing, something I didnt want to do really esp as its not our money!!
kempyz, check your skill assessment, is it:

Civil Engineer - ASCO Code 2124-11 (60 Points)
or
Civil Engineering Technologist - ASCO Code 2128-11 (60 Points)

If it is the first of these 2, you will have enough points because as mentioned it is currently on the MODL list (this gives you extra point and theoretically a shorter application time).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.