ACCA post qualification experience.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

EDandD is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ACCA post qualification experience.

My OH recently completed his ACCA qualifications. He is working as an accountant, and has been for the last five years (or so). His employers will provide references that will confirm his work experience.

I have just been reading some old threads using the search engine and would be grateful if someone could advise whether my OH will require 1 years post qualification experience before we can apply in order to claim the Work Experience 10 pts and the MODL 15pts.

As part of the ongoing training, the ACCA also agree that the OH has 3 years relevant experience, even though he has only just completed the exams. He also has a B.Com Law degree from RSA.

Any comments gratefully received.
EDandD
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:18 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA post qualification experience.

Originally Posted by EDandD
I have just been reading some old threads using the search engine and would be grateful if someone could advise whether my OH will require 1 years post qualification experience before we can apply in order to claim the Work Experience 10 pts and the MODL 15pts.
Before you can apply for the visa your OH needs a skills assessment. For that no work experience is required.

For the visa application there are three different work experience requirements:

1. Recent work experience:
An accountant needs to have 12 months of work experience in their nominated occupation before they can apply for the visa. (see page 8 of booklet 6)

2. Points for specific employment:
That's for claiming an extra 10 points. (If you're not claiming these extra points then you don't need this.) For this you need to have workd "at a skilled level" for three years in the four years immediately before lodging your application. (see page 25 of booklet 6)

3. MODL points
For claiming the MODL points you need to have been employed in your skilled occupation for a period of 12 months in the 48 months before lodging your application. (see page 28 of booklet 6)

Booklet 6 is here: www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

As you can see, none of the above say anything about pre- or post-qualification experience.

In theory the work experience can be pre-qualification if you can prove it is at the right level. The problem is with how you prove it. For claiming the extra 10 points in particular you will have problems convincing a DIAC clerk that an unqualified accountant was working at a skilled level for three years before passing his exams. Bear in mind that the DIAC people who assess this are not accountants. They are clerks who read off a sheet what an accountant should be doing.

If you want to use pre-qualification experience, I'd suggest you use an agent. Contact "Go Matilda" because the owner is an accountant himself and they employ ex-DIAC staff. www.gomatilda.com

Gina
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:57 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EDandD
My OH recently completed his ACCA qualifications. He is working as an accountant, and has been for the last five years (or so). His employers will provide references that will confirm his work experience.

As part of the ongoing training, the ACCA also agree that the OH has 3 years relevant experience, even though he has only just completed the exams. He also has a B.Com Law degree from RSA.

Any comments gratefully received.
EDandD
Hi EDandD,

You're also welcome to contact us. I have never stooped to employing ex-DIAC staff but I suppose there might be a first time, and we too have accounting expertise. I'm sure our prices are competitive.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:48 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
I have never stooped to employing ex-DIAC staff
Ouch!!!

Was there a smilie missing, George ?

Gina