Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

856 visa - how long from lodging nomination to it being approved?

856 visa - how long from lodging nomination to it being approved?

Old May 12th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default 856 visa - how long from lodging nomination to it being approved?

Hi

We're applying for the 856 visa (Employer Nominated Scheme) and the nomination was lodged towards the end of February. Is there a rough timeline of how long it takes to get it approved? We have passed all our other paperwork to our immigration lawyer (arranged by employer) but I asked for some info recently and they weren't very forthcoming.

So I thought I would ask you guys as you seem a lot friendlier LOL.

Also, once a nomination is approved and the application itself is lodged, is it a really long wait before the visa is granted?

Thanks in advance, hope I'm asking in the right place

Last edited by TillyG; May 12th 2008 at 7:39 am.
Old May 12th 2008, 7:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 856 visa - how long from lodging nomination to it being approved?

Originally Posted by TillyG
Hi

We're applying for the 856 visa (Employer Nominated Scheme) and the nomination was lodged towards the end of February. Is there a rough timeline of how long it takes to get it approved? We have passed all our other paperwork to our immigration lawyer (arranged by employer) but I asked for some info recently and they weren't very forthcoming.

So I thought I would ask you guys as you seem a lot friendlier LOL.

Also, once a nomination is approved and the application itself is lodged, is it a really long wait before the visa is granted?

Thanks in advance, hope I'm asking in the right place
We lodged nomination (employer in Sydney) and visa applications for an ENS application at DIAC (Parramatta) at the end of January. The subclass 856 visa was granted today (and that was after one of the medical examinations took a few weeks longer than anticipated to be cleared).

=> Although each case has to be considered on it merits you shouldn't be too far away ...

Best regards.
Old May 12th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
We lodged nomination (employer in Sydney) and visa applications for an ENS application at DIAC (Parramatta) at the end of January. The subclass 856 visa was granted today (and that was after one of the medical examinations took a few weeks longer than anticipated to be cleared).

=> Although each case has to be considered on it merits you shouldn't be too far away ...

Best regards.
That's fantastic, thanks Alan. I understood, though, that the visa couldn't be lodged until the nomination was approved - is that not the case then? I get the impression our immi lawyer is waiting for the nomination to be "approved" before he lodges our full application.

One of our medical exams took longer to arrive too - as they lost DH's blood sample for the HIV test - whoops!

PS, edited to take out the "congrats on getting your visa" bit of my reply as I hit submit and realised you're actually an "immi dude", not an applicant - d'oh LOL
Old May 12th 2008, 8:01 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

We generally lodge our clients' nomination applications and visa applications under the ENS (and the RSMS) with DIAC at the same time - they are sent in the same envelope.

This allows case officers to assess both applications at the same time, and expedites the process - it is the preferred strategy from DIAC's perspective so far as I know.

Best regards.
Old May 12th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Alan... wish my guy was as efficient as you To me, your way sounds like the logical way!
Old May 12th 2008, 8:05 am
Migration Agent

I think the only risk in adopting the approach of submitting the nomination and visa applications together is financial - if the nomination application is unsuccessful you potentially lose the Visa Application Charge.

Of course, one ought not be lodging a visa application if the nomination application is at risk of not making it over the line ...

Good luck!
Old May 12th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I think the only risk in adopting the approach of submitting the nomination and visa applications together is financial - if the nomination application is unsuccessful you potentially lose the Visa Application Charge.

Of course, one ought not be lodging a visa application if the nomination application is at risk of not making it over the line ...

Good luck!
Ah, maybe that's what he's doing then, waiting to make sure the nomination is ok first. Personally I don't see why it wouldn't be but, as you can tell, I know naff all about all of this!

I just hope our visa is sorted before about October time as otherwise we'll have to register DD at school as a "temporary resident" and incur the $4500 extra charge. Obviously we'd get that money back once our PR was through but we'd rather not have to go through that hassle to be honest.