Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Is 54 too old for a Partner Visa Application

Is 54 too old for a Partner Visa Application

Old Mar 13th 2021, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

DameEdna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is 54 too old for a Partner Visa Application

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I'm an Australian citizen and live in the UK with my husband and two adult kids.Looking to apply for a Partner visa (offshore) for my husband he is 54 years old, is this too old? Nervous about spending that much money for it to be declined and also time scale from application to approval. Also would he be able to apply for any jobs if he was actually granted a visa come time with him being older.

Many thanks
Old Mar 13th 2021, 11:20 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 54 too old for a Partner Visa Application

Originally Posted by DameEdna
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I'm an Australian citizen and live in the UK with my husband and two adult kids.Looking to apply for a Partner visa (offshore) for my husband he is 54 years old, is this too old? Nervous about spending that much money for it to be declined and also time scale from application to approval. Also would he be able to apply for any jobs if he was actually granted a visa come time with him being older.

Many thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum

Happy to say that your husband is not too old Info on eligibility here - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...09#Eligibility

Also, there is nothing to stop him applying for jobs - whether he gets one is another question. What line of work is he in? You can check out Seek (https://www.seek.com.au/) to see what's currently advertised, and what skills they are looking for, and perhaps upskill or modify resume to suit.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Hello and thanks for the reply,

That is good to know then, we have spoke about it alot over the years and know we should of done it years ago, but due to family illness we decided against it. My husband is an Engineer in the oil and gas in the UK and I work as a Teaching Assistant. We would really have to look into the job prospects and way everything up, if he was to get in that is. My daughter is 21 and will graduate in June of this year and my son is still at Uni, my daughter was wanting to try and get citizenship through descent and it may be worth my son doing that as well incase he ever wanted to go to Australia in the future. There is alot to think about and with Covid in the mix it is difficult to know what to do for the best.

I appreciate your help.Thanks again
Old Mar 14th 2021, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Just my thoughts here. We are also planning to relocate in future, not to where you are, another continent probably. I know it will be a long time from now, possibly even years but my attitude is there is a lot of research and getting things together for the future and right now being so home based is an ideal time to get familiar with all of the possibilities.

Even though there is no way I would purchase a home over the internet or speculate on all of the things I have no facts for yet, it doesn't hurt to find out about the paper work involved and the possible expenses and costs of living and moving that I can expect.

Best wishes to you both. So many have made that move you are thinking about and lots here have the experiences to share as well.

Old Mar 14th 2021, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice and I agree that it doesn’t hurt to find things out, and your right we have the time to do it being in lockdown.

i guess it’s the unknown but exciting at the same time at the thought of possibly living and experiencing being somewhere new, the weather plays its part too 😊, oh and seeing family members again, almost forgot 😳.

it would be great to hear from people that have applied in this age group and what their experiences have been like finding employment in their late 50’s etc, or have maybe been rejected and possible reasons for that if they were willing to share. The timeline of how long the application took. I spend evenings scrolling through sites to try and get some views on it all.

thanks again
Old Mar 14th 2021, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DameEdna
Hello,

Many thanks
Welcome to the forum - no age is too old for a Partner visa and Partner visas come with full work rights.
Timelines for processing vary considerably and there are a number of potential strategies that might be considered depending upon your circumstances and preferences.
It is difficult to predict processing times at the best of times, recently, pre-COVID, you might be looking at 12-24+ months depending upon a variety of factors, currently the department is trying to reduce the backlog and we are seeing some start to move quite swiftly, again depending upon a variety of factors.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 15th 2021 at 7:02 am.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Tell your kids to get off their backsides and get their citizenship by descent. You've been married a long time but it wouldnt go amiss if he were not only the partner of an Australian but a father of Australians. I really dont see you having visa problems but while you wait, if you havent already got it, you should get your UK citizenship, you never know if you might need it.

As for work -if what he has now is a a good solid career job that will see him through to retirement with a decent income and a good pension pot then I think you would be daft to move. Starting again when you are over 50 almost never goes well for a number of reasons - partly the age thing, very hard to get into a career stream at level at that age without local experience and knowledge (or connections). Also, it leaves you a pitifully short time to build your superannuation for a half decent retirement and you dont want to be so hard up that you actually meet the means test requirements for the Centrelink Age Benefit down the track (it's not a pension like you imagine your NI pension to be). Could you possibly wait until retirement so that you are financially viable then just get a pocket money job if you need one?

I am guessing you have family pulls back to Australia for aged parents or the like - that makes it more difficult of course but unless you know that your DH's skills are in high demand, and where, then I would be super cautious.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Hello thanks for reply, No we haven’t started the process we have been thinking about it for years and we know we have left it late. Due to both my parents being ill with cancer/dementia it wasn’t the time to leave them. It it a huge risk like you say to leave a well paid job to go to the unknown. It is probably a non starter if money was no object then it may be a different story. I know some people with say just go for it. It’s a tough one, a lot to think about . Thanks again