489 Visas and Minimum Points

Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Shelley Bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 489 Visas and Minimum Points

Hi all,

My husband and I are at the beginning of researching options for him to work in Australia (he is a Mental Health Nurse). It's slightly dodgy though as he's turning 40 soon and we'd only want to go over if there was a realistic chance of securing permanent residency as we have two children. The 189 visa isn't an option as he won't have enough points once he's 40 (and we won't be able to get all the paperwork squared before his birthday). So we are looking at sponsorship through 489 visas which could then after 2 years make us eligible for the 887 while he's still under 45.

So my question is about points requirements. I know he would need 65 points to be eligible for the 489, and including the sponsorship he would have 65 or 70. But does this work in the same way as the 189 - does he enter a pool where realistically 65 points is not actually enough? Or is it just a case of meeting the 65 and then waiting our turn for processing.

And similarly, if we did this and then applied for the 887, would we be put into a pool, or would we just need to meet the requirements and wait our turn? At this point he'd be getting close to 45 and who knows what the draws would be looking like so that would be slightly uncomfortable.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 489 Visas and Minimum Points

Originally Posted by Shelley Bean
Hi all,

My husband and I are at the beginning of researching options for him to work in Australia (he is a Mental Health Nurse). It's slightly dodgy though as he's turning 40 soon and we'd only want to go over if there was a realistic chance of securing permanent residency as we have two children. The 189 visa isn't an option as he won't have enough points once he's 40 (and we won't be able to get all the paperwork squared before his birthday). So we are looking at sponsorship through 489 visas which could then after 2 years make us eligible for the 887 while he's still under 45.

So my question is about points requirements. I know he would need 65 points to be eligible for the 489, and including the sponsorship he would have 65 or 70. But does this work in the same way as the 189 - does he enter a pool where realistically 65 points is not actually enough? Or is it just a case of meeting the 65 and then waiting our turn for processing.

And similarly, if we did this and then applied for the 887, would we be put into a pool, or would we just need to meet the requirements and wait our turn? At this point he'd be getting close to 45 and who knows what the draws would be looking like so that would be slightly uncomfortable.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
The 489 does not work in in the same way as the 189 with regard to the pool. If he obtains sponsorship by a state/territory he will be invited regardless of points.
There is no pool/points requirement for the 887 you would apply once eligible.

If you are looking for a Registered Migration Agent to assist with your application please feel free to contact me.