475 - 'extra year' visa question.

Old May 8th 2008, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default 475 - 'extra year' visa question.

I was wondering if anyone can reassure me with regard to the 'extra year' which may be applied for from a 475 visa.

The back ground;
We had our meds done in Feb 2008 - so that will be our validation date next year. If we validate in Feb 2009, we have 3 years in which to live for 2 years and work for one year in South Australia to qualify for PR. Just like most people in the UK, we are having trouble selling our house. (It has been on the market for a year - 3 failed sales and £165K off the price!) If we can't sell our house by Feb 2010, we won't be able to meet the 2 year residence rule. However, if we qualify for the extra year, it would extend the time to sell the house until Feb 2011. Surely that is enough time for the market to stabilise?

My question is:

Will the DIAC accept the reason that we can't sell our house, as good enough to extend the visa for a year??? I can't find any reference on the DIAC site - it just says 'if you can't meet the residence or work requirements in the allottedtime.'

If this is not going to be an option, we would have to think about reapplying for a 475 next year as it would be cheaper than validating.... or even not going at all. We can't afford to leave the house - even rented out. The rent wouldn't cover half the mortgage. Surely the DIAC would consider this a valid reason?
Old May 8th 2008, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

The Wises is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 475 - 'extra year' visa question.

Hi Fly Away.

I know exactly what you are worrying about. We haven't managed to sell our house yet either. I am sure I read somewhere on here in the last few weeks that the hold up for the 475 visa's was that they have changed the rules slightly. If I read it correctly is said that the three years would start from the date of relocating and not the validation date, you just have to go to DIAC when you have moved for good and they would restart it from that date. I am sure it was either George or Allan. It would be good if that is right. I will see what I am find out about it.

Gina x
Old May 8th 2008, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Wises
Hi Fly Away.

I know exactly what you are worrying about. We haven't managed to sell our house yet either. I am sure I read somewhere on here in the last few weeks that the hold up for the 475 visa's was that they have changed the rules slightly. If I read it correctly is said that the three years would start from the date of relocating and not the validation date, you just have to go to DIAC when you have moved for good and they would restart it from that date. I am sure it was either George or Allan. It would be good if that is right. I will see what I am find out about it.

Gina x
I don't think so Gina. I had a PM from Alan and I interpreted it to mean that the clock on the 3 years started as soon as you validated. So, the best way to get more time, would be to delay validation until the latest possible time. I will go and check my PMs and post what Alan said.

Thanks for replying though.
Old May 8th 2008, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here is what Alan said, (he gave me permission to quote this).

- There is a validation date on s/c 475 visas, which is determined in the same way as other skilled visas (ie by the dates of medicals and police clearance certificates)

- The validity of the s/c 475 visa is 3 years from the date of your actual initial entry to Australia. Given the usual pathway to permanent residency for s/c 475 visaholders by the time those 3 years are up you must have lived in regional Australia for at least 2 years and worked in regional Australia so that you can apply for the s/c 887 Skilled Regional permanent residency visa:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../887/index.htm

Hope this helps.

PS. This is the wording from the s/c 475 visa grant advice I received in respect of the validity period of the visa:

"Upon arrival in Australia all applicants may have the visa expiry date of this visa altered to reflect a validity period of three (3) years from the date of the initial entry into Australia.
This may be done by presenting at a DIAC office within Australia after initial entry."
Old May 8th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

The Wises is on a distinguished road

Oh. I did read it wrong. Sorry about that. If we get our visa we will have to validated by november but we are just praying that we sell the house before then and we can go for good. Just wish we had started this whole thing a year earlier and then we wouldn't have had this trouble selling the house. People keep telling me that it will all suddenly happen together and we will be in a mad rush to go. I do hope so. BRING IT ON!

Where are you heading? We are still hoping for Adelaide late june. Good luck anyway.

Gina x
Old May 8th 2008, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Wises
Oh. I did read it wrong. Sorry about that. If we get our visa we will have to validated by november but we are just praying that we sell the house before then and we can go for good. Just wish we had started this whole thing a year earlier and then we wouldn't have had this trouble selling the house. People keep telling me that it will all suddenly happen together and we will be in a mad rush to go. I do hope so. BRING IT ON!

Where are you heading? We are still hoping for Adelaide late june. Good luck anyway.

Gina x

Sorry I was right. Looks like there will be loads of us in the same boat. That's why I was asking about the one year extension - it could make it a lot easier if we knew that an application to extend would be accepted on these grounds. No one has had to apply for one yet - so I expect no one knows....

We are hoping for Adelaide in October. If this flamin house sells. Have a 2nd viewing tonight - just hope this comes to something and they make a reasonable offer.

Fingers crossed for your sale - let's hope the banks sort themselves out and that Gordon Brown is so scared of a housing crash that he forces them too if they don't want to!
Old May 16th 2008, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Shameless bump in case anyone knows any more about this.