189 visa and TRA process

Old Apr 1st 2016, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

phughson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 189 visa and TRA process

Afternoon all,

Was hoping someone could give me a few pointers on the 189 process. Ultimately, in hope to take my wife and three children to Australia.

I am at the very start of the visa process, after doing the points test on the Australian immigration website which i received 70 points. I am hoping to apply for a 189 under the Electrical Engineering Technician occupation, which is on the SOL. I am assuming the next step would be to get the skills assessment with TRA.

Before i go ahead with the payments to TRA, does anyone know the exact documents and format TRA require and if all documents have to be certified?

Do you know if the documents have to be hard copied as well as uploaded? The documents that i think are required:

Proof of all qualifications
Proof of employment and duration
Employer reference
C.V??

Any assistance would be appreciated. It would be ideal if I could get through the skills assessment process without an migration agent, then if successful, look at using an agent.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Apr 1st 2016, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 visa and TRA process

The first steps are indeed skills assessment and most people will need to take an IELTS test in order to have enough points for the visa. So you can do this now too and make sure you have both in hand before you start the EOI.

According to my research, Electrical Engineer is an occupation that is assessed by Engineers Australia not TRA. What occuoation code are you thinking of?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The first steps are indeed skills assessment and most people will need to take an IELTS test in order to have enough points for the visa. So you can do this now too and make sure you have both in hand before you start the EOI.

According to my research, Electrical Engineer is an occupation that is assessed by Engineers Australia not TRA. What occuoation code are you thinking of?
Sorry ignore me, I see you said technician role which is indeed TRA. Afraid I cannot help with that as it was not my assessor. But usually they do indicate what is required of their websites.

By the way, if I were to use an agent for only one step of the process, it would definitely be the skills assessment. It is by far the hardest part, or it can be anyway. Once you have that it is just some very careful form filling in! There no way I would, or I would recommend doing skills assessment by oneself and then engaging an agent. Their value is definitely up front.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Apr 1st 2016 at 3:26 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

I was hoping for some further information. There seems to be some confusion with immigration companies and qualifications. Is my NC in engineering and HNC in Engineering Science equivalent to an Australia diploma? Ive had a conflict of answers from a couple of immigration companies. I don't want to apply for the Skills Assessment with TRA until i know that it will be recognised.

Thanks,
Paul.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by phughson
I was hoping for some further information. There seems to be some confusion with immigration companies and qualifications. Is my NC in engineering and HNC in Engineering Science equivalent to an Australia diploma? Ive had a conflict of answers from a couple of immigration companies. I don't want to apply for the Skills Assessment with TRA until i know that it will be recognised.

Thanks,
Paul.
No idea. But if you want surety, then a free forum of lay people who probably have no experience in your exact occupation, is not the right place for you. There are a number of agents that are highly trusted by BE members and have had a good track record over the years. So perhaps try one of them, George Lombard is probably my pick, you could also try Go Matilda.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I am new to the forum (sorry for my ignorance) and thought there would be someone on here that might have an idea. How do i get in contact with George Lombard or Matilda?
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks. I am new to the forum (sorry for my ignorance) and thought there would be someone on here that might have an idea. How do i get in contact with George Lombard or Matilda?
It is a forum of people with general knowledge, quite good general knowledge in many cases. But definitely lay people and actually your question about a specific qualification is a really technical question. To add to that, you said you wanted certainty, in which case there is no way you should be relying upon advice from strangers, self confessed lay people on a forum. I don't think any of us went into this with certainty of our side to be honest.

You can google George Lombard or "Go Matilda".
Old Apr 7th 2016, 3:54 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Paul.
HNC is equivalent to an Australian diploma (mine is Electronic Eng)

I did my skills assessment as Electrician though so needed the lower quals (I did an apprenticeship anyway so all good) but had it checked when I got here and it comes up on a look up table as equivalent to AQF Diploma, and I got a letter to confirm this. It was checked by Skilled Migrant Services here in Adelaide, but should be the same for TRA I would think.

Hope that helps