175...TRA...Degree and confusion

Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

headjelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 175...TRA...Degree and confusion

Ok, after discounting an AIM assessment for him on the basis that he's not working at the required level we're now looking at me being the primary applicant. Surprise, surprise, it's not going to be that straightforward.

I graduated with a BDes Hons (Scottish BA), in Printed Textile design and have, for the past 11 years been self employed as a costume maker. This involves numerous different skills but the are two listed on the SOL which match closely what my role entails on a daily basis - Apparel Cutter and Patternmaker Grader.

I've been advised that the assessing authority (TRA) may not recognise my degree as being relevant to my occupation as they normally look for vocational not academic qualifications.

The agent we've contacted have said they can provide 'an initial trade assessment service' for £270 but clearly this will not be an inexpensive process and we need to save every penny we can.

So, can anyone please help?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 175...TRA...Degree and confusion

You could probably get a Vetassess assessment in a 50 point occupation based on your degree. Is 50 points enough?

DIAC would look closely at your work experience to make sure it was really "skilled" and unless they were sure, they would ask you to do a trade assessment anyway. But if you present your case well, it might not be necessary.

Has your partner got a degree? He could get a skill assessment from Vetassess in a 50 point occupation too, if that is the case. Many people with management experience can avoid AIM's requirements if they use the Vetassess option.

It's not simple and not DIY, so if interested I'd suggest you talk to George Lombard in Sydney (search forum for contact details).
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

headjelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 175...TRA...Degree and confusion

Thanks, 50 points will not be enough and although hubby has a degree he can only go for a 50 point skill unless he goes down the AIM route. His degree is in Furniture design and he is now in Learning & Development so this further complicates things.

Will try George Lombard and hope for a better result.

Thanks again.